Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt requirement

Out of Ammo

A good stiff belt. Most competitors like the inner/outer belt type like this one.

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying

the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level.

The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the

waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

Edited by adively

We had a shooter at our match today with the same issue. He had his rig around his stomach above his waist. If he moved it down to his waist it would not stay in place so he had to go strip it all apart and run it through the belt loops. The rule does not technically require the use of belt loops as long as the rig is secured on the waist.

The rule does not technically require the use of belt loops as long as the rig is secured on the waist.

+1. IIRC, the rule used to say the belt had to be secured thru loops. Now it has the option.

The rule does not technically require the use of belt loops as long as the rig is secured on the waist.

+1. IIRC, the rule used to say the belt had to be secured thru loops. Now it has the option.

I also hold the opinion that the rules doesn't require the 3 belt loops as written in the rulebook with the use of the word "OR". Unfortunately, if you read last year's (2011) Jan-Feb issue of Frontsight Amidon's opinion is that the rule book still requires the 3 belt loops.

if you read last year's (2011) Jan-Feb issue of Frontsight Amidon's opinion is that the rule book still requires the 3 belt loops.

Probably read it, but don't remember. Would be nice if it was listed on the NROI rulings page on the USPSA website.

I appreciate the responses you've given. What about having belt keepers connecting the gun belt to your regular belt? Would that count as three loops?

Yes it does. The standard speed belt is really a velcro inner belt that goes through the loops while the outer belt is wrapped/velcroed in place to the inner belt. Using belt keepers is the same effect.

I also hold the opinion that the rules doesn't require the 3 belt loops as written in the rulebook with the use of the word "OR". Unfortunately, if you read last year's (2011) Jan-Feb issue of Frontsight Amidon's opinion is that the rule book still requires the 3 belt loops.

As I recall the ruling the outer belt has to be attached to the inner belt at a minimum of 3 points, and the inner belt needs to pass through a minimum of 3 belt loops. Not sure how that works for the females who are allowed to wear the belt on their hips which in many cases is several inches below the waist belt loops.

But I see your point because:

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level.

The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the

waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

What is securely fixed?

Edited by Poppa Bear

I had a CRO allow me to use 3 Velcro cable ties to attach my SASS Wild Bunch belt to my trousers belt. It met the letter of the rule and worked well. I'm going to have Ted Blocker make me some matching keepers with snaps later, so it doesn't look so hokey with velcro over a hand tooled leather belt.

I see a lot of people flouting this rule, and I truly don't know why. It is to your advantage to run your belt through your belt loops. Why would you ever not do so?!

Not everybody gets to shoot in perfect temperate weather shooting conditions.

When it's 95 degrees in the shade and your shorts don't have belt loops.

When it's 20 degrees with the wind chill, and your winter outer wear doesn't have belt loops.

I see a lot of people flouting this rule, and I truly don't know why. It is to your advantage to run your belt through your belt loops. Why would you ever not do so?!

When it's 20 degrees with the wind chill, and your winter outer wear doesn't have belt loops.

Plus many new shooters that I see try to use an old leather belt with holster and mags on it that they just wrap around there waist and tighten the bejesis out of it. They probably don't have the money or inclination to buy an expensive belt yet and quickly realize removing everything from the belt all the time is a PITA.

Plus many new shooters that I see try to use an old leather belt with holster and mags on it that they just wrap around there waist and tighten the bejesis out of it. They probably don't have the money or inclination to buy an expensive belt yet and quickly realize removing everything from the belt all the time is a PITA.

+10 Who here went to their first match with a complete competition rig?

I didn't go to my first match with a competition belt, but I sure as hell put my mag pouches and holster on my belt and my belt through my belt loops!

Wear shorts with loops. Wear cold-weather pants with loops. It's not hard. Colorado goes from literally-on-fire to frozen-solid and we shoot all year round.

If you don't secure your belt, your gear will be flopping around all over the place. This is not going to work in your favor.

If you're new and you don't have proper gear, fine, but I see Open and Limited shooters wearing $4000 worth of gear on their belts, with their belts strapped to nothing!

+10 Who here went to their first match with a complete competition rig?

I went to exactly one match with things threaded onto my belt through the loops. Took me 10 seconds to realize what a PITA that was going to be. As soon as I got home I ordered a CR Speed belt! cheers.gif

I shoot Limited and was wondering about what belt I needed for competition? A question was raised that I had to have a belt that had to go through three belt loops. Thanks.

The most important part is the stiffness. A stiff belt holds the gear away from your body as it rests on your hips, a floppy belt has to be so tight that you sucks all your gear into your sides which is a literal pain.

CRSpeed Velcro belt - 50$

Ammo for the day - 60$

Watching your buddy cuss like a sailor and nearly drop his pants while fighting his holster on - priceless.

To the OP, the Velcro is the way to go. I run the inner through every belt loop and it doesn't seem to interfere with the outer at all. 5 pouches loaded and a pig of a CZ and the belt is solid as a rock and comes off in about 10 seconds.

Stiffness was mentioned above and is important. Honestly, I got a CRspeed belt but my dad just got his DAA belt and I must admit.... Sort of wishing I would have got the DAA. They are both quality belts though.

If I was just starting and did not have a belt, I would spend the money needed to get a starter set and the Safariland ELS Belt system. I have seen them in action, like them a lot but they are pricey. If I took into account the rigs I have for different games, I could have bought the ELS. Difference is, as they say, Buy once, cry once

I didn't go to my first match with a competition belt, but I sure as hell put my mag pouches and holster on my belt and my belt through my belt loops!

Wear shorts with loops. Wear cold-weather pants with loops. It's not hard. Colorado goes from literally-on-fire to frozen-solid and we shoot all year round.

If you don't secure your belt, your gear will be flopping around all over the place. This is not going to work in your favor.

If you're new and you don't have proper gear, fine, but I see Open and Limited shooters wearing $4000 worth of gear on their belts, with their belts strapped to nothing!

Well said.