Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chroming a blued gun

darrene

Hi All

I am currently having my STI eagle hard chromed through a gunsmith in another state that a first was going to take 2 weeks to complete. After 9 weeks it still is not back from the platers & the smith informs me that they have had to redo it a number of times due to the fact that it was orginally blued. Anyone heard of issues hardchroming a blued gun before ?

Hi All

I am currently having my STI eagle hard chromed through a gunsmith in another state that a first was going to take 2 weeks to complete. After 9 weeks it still is not back from the platers & the smith informs me that they have had to redo it a number of times due to the fact that it was orginally blued. Anyone heard of issues hardchroming a blued gun before ?

Nope. Sounds unusual to me.

I've had 2 blued guns hardchromed and it was not an issue. I've never heard of it being any kind of problem. Call up a couple of places that do hardchroming and tell them you're considering having a blued gun hardchromed and you wondered if that would be an issue, and see what they tell you. I'll bet the answer you get is that it's no problem at all. It sounds like your 'smith or the plater is making excuses for whatever reason.

i have also had a number of guns plated in the past from blue to chrome as well as a number og other people i know without any problems but that was a number of years ago & that plater no longer does firearms. Think i will send him a email requesting more information & see what comes back

• 2 weeks later...

Our shop has used Metaloy for years, with nothing but exceptional results. Chromoly steel is always bead-blasted or polished with sandpaper before hard-chroming, which removes the bluing...

Not only should bluing not be a problem, you'd be shocked at how easy it is to remove STI's bluing. Even glass beads at a fairly low pressure will have no problems removing it. It comes off so quickly and easily that you'd wonder how it ever protected the metal at all.

i had a glock 35 slide hard chromed by accurate plate & weaponry.. it did take a little longer than expected due to a "smudge" that kept showing up on the right side of the slide. I recieved a letter from Bob Cogan that even he did the last chroming to try and get it right but it was still showing up and he figured there was something in the metal affecting the plate process.