Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold bullets

OK guys, all this recent talk about ordering by the case has got me thinking I might do just that. Never ordered more than 2000 at a time. But a case of Montana Gold gets down to $86 -84/K. I like the mid-weight bullets 124-125 even 130gr. I have heard that the 121 IFP is a very accurate bullet. Would it be good for 9mm minor? Other than that I will probably just get some 124's.

Thanks

I'm no pro, but the 124gr MG JHPs and CMJs are what I'm loading. Bought in bulk also to drop cost. I like the hard finish vs some soft plated bullets I had been loading before. Nice consistency between bullet weights also.

Both my Spartan and my M&P like the 124s it seems, at least they are a LOT more accurate with the handloads over factory loads.

I also like the MG 124 - both the JHP and CMJ. My Trojan only likes the CMJ but all my others are a little better with the JHP. I did have some 121 and tried them in Major but I didn't like so I went back to the 124s. I usually buy a few cases at a time to get the price down even more. After trying almost many lead and all the plated bullets, I have now just settled on the MG and don't plan on changing any time soon. Also, the delivery times are amazing as long as they are in stock (which they are 99% of the time).

OK guys, all this recent talk about ordering by the case has got me thinking I might do just that. Never ordered more than 2000 at a time. But a case of Montana Gold gets down to $86 -84/K. I like the mid-weight bullets 124-125 even 130gr. I have heard that the 121 IFP is a very accurate bullet. Would it be good for 9mm minor? Other than that I will probably just get some 124's.

Thanks

Depends on how you want your load to "feel". A heavier bullet with a fast powder uses less powder than a load with a lighter bullet.

121 IFP are excellent bullets. So it depends on what feels good to you.

Ics,

I don't go for the softest feel anymore. Used to, but I have come around to a little more velocity and steel knock down + accuracy. My 124/125 loads are presently at a 135pf +/- . Recently been using VV N340 because I had some but I will be going back to VV N320 when it runs out.

Best,

I don't think it is all that popular with many forum members, but I really like TiteGroup with the MG 124 gr. JHP.

Here are some MV's in different pistols with 4.2 gr. of Hodgdon TiteGroup, mixed cases, CCI 500 primers, and all seated to a COAL of 1.140":

Glock G34: 1161 FPS - 143 PF

Glock G17: 1118 FPS - 138 PF

Glock G19: 1121 FPS - 139 PF

Glock G26: 1112 FPS - 137 PF

STI Tactical 5.0: 1108 FPS - 137 PF

Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9: 1081 FPS - 134 PF

Springfield XD(m): 1149 FPS - 142 PF

Springfield EMP: 1050 FPS - 130 PF

Functionality has been outstanding and accuracy has been very good in all the pistols with this load.

I don't think it is all that popular with many forum members, but I really like TiteGroup with the MG 124 gr. JHP.

Here are some MV's in different pistols with 4.2 gr. of Hodgdon TiteGroup, mixed cases, CCI 500 primers, and all seated to a COAL of 1.140":

Glock G34: 1161 FPS - 143 PF

Glock G17: 1118 FPS - 138 PF

Glock G19: 1121 FPS - 139 PF

Glock G26: 1112 FPS - 137 PF

STI Tactical 5.0: 1108 FPS - 137 PF

Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9: 1081 FPS - 134 PF

Springfield XD(m): 1149 FPS - 142 PF

Springfield EMP: 1050 FPS - 130 PF

Functionality has been outstanding and accuracy has been very good in all the pistols with this load.

+1 it's what I run in my G17 Gen4 with the latest stock RSA.

The most accurate bullet I have found is the Zero .38 Super (0.356") 121gn JHP for my 9x19s, 9x21s, and .38 Super. The MG 124gn JHP is almost as accurate over a wide range of loadings. Zero is too hard to get (and way too expensive from Roze), so I am shooting the MG 124gn exclusively.

For competition in minor PF, MOST people prefer a very heavy bullet and a very fast powder.

If I was going to load with that rather scary mix (do everything right or you could KB), I would look to the MG 130gn FMJ (9mm 0.356" bullet) or the 142gn FMJ "Yellow" (0.357" bullet). The 142gn is very accurate in my 9x19s, 9x21s, and .38 Supers, but I don't like that heavy a bullet.

Note: there is a significant increase in cost from 124gn to 140+gn.

Some people worry about using a "large" bullet in 9x19. I find that even my CZ-75s (with groove diameters of 0.3550" and 0.3555") really perform well with 0.356-0.357" bullets.

Currently, you can get Zero .38 Super (.356) 125gn FMJ ($298/3000) from Powder Valley.

Precision Bullets has B-9-147-FMJ-TC (.355") 147gn FMJ-TC bullets for $101/1000 ($2 off per thousand for orders of 6000 or more).

MG and PD include S/H in the quoted price.

I run MG 124 JHP with 4.0 gr of Titegroup seated to 1.135. 135 pf avg. Very accurate load through a Glock 34.

It will find its way to a no shoot or some hardcover, but that's the guy driving the gun:)

I'll agree that the Zero 125gr JHP is just about the best bulk bullet you can't find. I went to the 124gr CMJ MTG about 2 years ago. My mailman hates me but he just needs to get over it. I use these in my 9 major at 1400fps and they are accurate and feed very well. An excellent bullet for the money. RN or CMJ bullets are the least risk in feeding. I have a rule, open a case, order another one.

For minor I shoot the middle weight 135gr Bayou out of my Shadow. Cheap enough, accurate, and they feel good over N320 or WST.

I love Zero Bullets and Titegroup!

I think the MG bullets are purdy and just as accurate for me, however, I can't always buy by the cases. MG are less expensive when you buy by the case, but Zero is less for less then case quantities.

124 MG JHP and 3.9 TG @ 1.10 is my pet load @ 134PF. Super accurate load out of my M&P Pro, I consistently outshoot my match mates on the long distance 25+ yard shots. I like a faster shooting load. I've tried other powders, but go back to TG pretty quick. I will experiemnt with other bullets mostly for practice, but buying the 124gr MG in the 3750 bulk box makes it as cheap as most anything out there (full lead may be .01 or .02 cheaper but brings up a whole nother batch of PITAS).

124 MG JHP and 3.9 TG @ 1.10 is my pet load @ 134PF. Super accurate load out of my M&P Pro,

That's either quite impressive for a Pro or the readings are a fluke. I guess if you have chronoed it enough it must be so.

I have loaded MG 124 CMJ's for two different Pros and could barely make 132 with 4.3-4.5 TG at about 1.13. I guess the bullet profile has a lot to do with it as the oal would not kick it up that much. MG bullets are some of the slowest as are M&P Pro barrels. As a matter of fact I needed 3.8 to make 132 with MG 147's.

No fluke, I was shooting 4.0 TG and knocked it down to 3.9. I have chronoed it quite a few times as well as shooting it at several major matches.

4.5 is surprisingly high. I never really cared for the CMJ, when I did load it my OAL was 1.13 also and at 4.0 TG if I recall. Unless you have feeding problems with the JHP, it's a much better bullet IMO.

I've seen several others on this board in the same ballpark on their Pro's.

Edit to add: My Pro's are with a few PF of my Glock 17.

124 MG JHP and 3.9 TG @ 1.10 is my pet load @ 134PF. Super accurate load out of my M&P Pro,

That's either quite impressive for a Pro or the readings are a fluke. I guess if you have chronoed it enough it must be so.

I have loaded MG 124 CMJ's for two different Pros and could barely make 132 with 4.3-4.5 TG at about 1.13. I guess the bullet profile has a lot to do with it as the oal would not kick it up that much. MG bullets are some of the slowest as are M&P Pro barrels. As a matter of fact I needed 3.8 to make 132 with MG 147's.

Edited by Tul9033

Wow, that's extra slow. I was at 3.6 TG with 147 and a mp stock barrel

switched to a kkm and it got a little quicker. Now I load 4.2 TG with 124 cmj and I am at 135pf