Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a Scope with internal Dot you can see in Daylight?

Mark K

I do not have a ton of experience with this, but I have not yet seen a tactical scope that has an illuminated reticle or center dot that you can see illuminated in regular daylight range conditions. Is there one that does not cost an arm and a leg?

I really like dots for close work, and have resorted to the side mounting of C-More STS on my guns. I like that well enough, but was just thinking that I would really like a gun without the side mount......

Mark K.

There are some good scopes like the Swarovski that are day light visible (ie bright).

The Swarovski Z6i, S&B Short dot, Meopta, Trijicon Accupoint, The lowest priced one that is still reasonably bright is the Burris Mtac at aroudn 400.

Pat

There are some good scopes like the Swarovski that are day light visible (ie bright).

The Swarovski Z6i, S&B Short dot, Meopta, Trijicon Accupoint, The lowest priced one that is still reasonably bright is the Burris Mtac at aroudn 400.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. the MTAC was one of the ones I was wondering about.

Mark K.

Meopta ZD K-Dot. It's day light bright in the brightest new mexico, high desert sunlight and against light back grounds. It has an easy to work with BDC which takes me out to 600yds for both 223 and 308. It's compact, durable, not overly heavy, and has good glass. I've been running mine for a year and the original battery is still day light bright. Proly have something like 20hrs on the battery. Only beef I have with my Meopta is the turrets are not up to par for a $900 scope. In all fairness though, I only remove the caps a couple of times a year, so I can live with it. Overall it's an outstanding choice for multifun.

The least expensive bright illuminated scope is the Meopta. I have a K Dot, that you don't have to turn all the way up during bright sunlight. I don't know how the new Z Dot is.

Actually the Trijicon TR21 and TR24 come in slightly lower on the price scale generally from what I have seen. The nice thing about the Trijicon scopes is the brighter it is out the brighter the reticle gets since its fiber optic powered.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I had a Burris MTAC for a day and now have the new Bushnell 1by6.5 and can not understand how any one can say these are daylight illuminated when you and the target are in the sun. THEY ARE NOT the red becomes dark brown which might as well be black.Words of a real shooter who really shoots inthe sun.Blaster

I have an MTAC 1-4x and couldn't call the reticule truly daylight bright, either. As Blaster said, it will turn a dark brown to a dull orange (depending on battery condition), but mine certainly doesn't light up like an aimpoint or c-more....at least not in the bright Florida sun. When it is a little overcast or cloudy it appears much brighter. But, that is a nit to me as I like the scope and even if it was daylight bright I am not sure I would use it during the day. Dusky or dark conditions when things get murky and I can see where the illumination could be useful.

I have been satisfied with both meopta scopes the K-Dot and the Z-Dot, both are daylight visible on the brightest days. The Z-Dot does have a nice BDC (but is just a bit pricy). You can use the K-Dot's recticle almost as well with just a bit of practice (the K-Dot can be had for a bit better price). Let me know the next time you are going to come up for a match and i'll toss my rifle in the truck.

I have no experience with it, but have been reading up on the Mueller Speed Shot. It is a 1-4x24 with a simple red dot reticle. Supposed to be daylight visible. Prices were in the mid $200. I have had a Meopta, they are definitely daylight visible.

my TR24 is so bright in direct sun that I actually have to turn it down (block the FO from getting some light). It's AMAZING at 1x. Still not loving it at tiny long range targets, but that might be more me sucking than the scope sucking...

I'm adding another vote for the Meopta ZD. I've had mine for almost a year, and am still using the original battery. It's still absolutely daylight visible. The ZD is a whole lot of scope for the money. I've been extremely happy with mine.

I have a vortex viper PST 1-4 that has an illuminated reticle. I shot is today and it was visible on the higher settings. I am also very happy with it. Havent had to use there support but I hear it is awesome.

I have a vortex viper PST 1-4 that has an illuminated reticle. I shot is today and it was visible on the higher settings. I am also very happy with it. Havent had to use there support but I hear it is awesome.

I like Vortex scopes but have found their illuminaiton lacking on anything but dark overcast days.

I used it today. Not the brightest of days but it worked fine. Dont have anything to compare it to so cant say they are better or worse but it was visible.

I have looked through the 1-4 PST a friend of mine has and usually I can't see the illuminaiton at all in the day light. Again only when its heavy overcast can I see it. Same goes from my 4-16 PST FFP on my precision rifle.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Pat's right (and correct), the PST scopes are not conisdered day light bright. Only day light bright scopes I know of for less than $1k are the Trijicon TR24 and the Meopta Kdot and ZD. TR24 is extremely bright and would be the scope of choice if you will rarely shoot beyond 300yds. You will want the Meopta ZD if there is frequent shooting beyond 300. I started off with a TR24 and really liked it, until I started frequently shooting out to 600yds. I tried for a year to make the TR24 work for me, but ultimately grew tired of dialing in distant targets. I ran the TR24 for 2 years and then switched to the ZD a year ago. No regrets and I made the correct choice. The notable differences being: TR24 has slightly better 1X with a slightly more forgiving eye box. TR24 has better turrets, and uses fiber optic so no batteries. ZD is more compact, has slightly better glass and a highly effective BDC reticle. There are some other choices for less than $1k which are day light visible (rather than bright). These scopes have a black contrast reticle which is so black that they stand out against nearly all targets very well. The Burris Mtac is the most popular of these budget scopes and is considered by those who use them to be extremely effective. My experience with the Mtac is equally possitive with lots of strong points and only a couple of weak points. In my neck of the woods there are a couple of fellas, who are considered "the guys to beat". One shoots Limited division with a Prismatic and the other shoots Open with a Burris XTR. They regularly spanks us all with the Prismatic and XTR which are neither day light bright nor do they have a heavy black contrast reticles.

I have a MTAC 1x4 and agree it does not light up in bright sun, but I like black in bright conditions and don't turn it on if I don't need it. I do like the BDC and dot setup ,can shoot with both eyes open on 1x and the eye box works for me too. If I were back in the suck and shooting at bad guys again I'd get get the best the gov't had, but with my budget these days and shooting for fun I'm happy with the MTAC and think it's good glass for the $.

How'd you like that Leupold VX? I've seen a few comments popping up regarding the good glass and effective reticle, but no really formal reviews. I've heard thier bright... how's the eye box? Is it forgiving enough to find a good mounting location for both off hand and prone? Is it on par with the other 1-(n)X scopes to find the reticle while running and gunning? I have to say I've been curious about this one.