Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$1050 budget help me deside

colbyjack

Can you guys help me deside. I got just over a grand to spend on a shotgun. Im new to 3 gun and been reading alot on here. Im nervous about the 930jm... seems hit or miss. Good deal it sounds like if it runs. Ive been shooting a mossberg 500 pump. I want a semi auto. Now my dream gun is the fnh slp or benelli m2. I like the 20"-24" range. Im not a gunsmith so dont want to get something where i got alot of building to do. Id like it to run out of the box with a extension and larger bolt and safety. Can i get something in that price range?

Im a c class pistol shooter and probably the same or worse in shotgun and rifle. So dont need the best. Will a remington 1100 or 1187 work ok for a new guy? Or should i save and get the better gun out of the gate? Whats used prices and new prices go for on these? Or since im not that good should i stick with the slower pump and save my money? Im being honest. I took like 3 from the bottom last match. But im here to have fun and get away feom my wife.

I suffer from psoariatic arthritis so im thinking semi auto for less recoil. Or maybe 20gauge unless it just sucks on steel. Id like to make my shooting experience less painful. We only run 2 shotgun stages and 2 rifle stages with 5/6 pistol stages once a month. Any help on helping me deside will be appreciated. I dont know much about shotguns. I do know my model 12 wont work in our sport..... lol

Your right about at new Versa Max level, which would help keep recoil low for your PA, as it's gas gun and there pretty soft shooting. The new tactical gun looks very interesting!

Best to you,

TAR

The M2 is a little above your price range new. There are a few used M1's floating around on the net for a few hundred under that range. I see plenty of people running SLP's but can't speak of them first hand, or the 930.

Ask around at the next match and handle a few. See if one feels better for you.

JM 22" or 24"... What ever one you can find..Read some of my posts. I have arthritis myself and am way old. I added a $9.95 rear HiVis sight for a little better picture on the slug targets. I never even cleaned it till after a bunch of rounds were shot,... ran right out of the box. Good trigger/extended bolt/etc. comes from the Factory. polish a few things and be happy!. Buy some of the 1145 fps ammo and enjoy!. I tried the 28" set up and didn't like it. You can add a longer bare Nordic tube to the 22" version if you want more capacity as it comes with the +5...I've got the +6 tube and the xxl extention cap and new spring on mine (11 in the tube).... I don't know how many rounds you can have were you shoot???? pm me if you wish..Mike

Thanks for the replies guys. It gives me something to think about. I too really like the mossberg i just didnt want to get something and have issues. Seems like from what i read on the forum it can be 50/50. Wife said she may allow me $1300 for gun and shell holders. So i dont know what to do.

I will look at the next match and see what people are using. Do they make the extension tube and and bolt handle for the versamax??? Gander mountain had it for $1299 i think. Are the 1100 or 1187 just bottom of the barell? Dont hear too much about them...

I'd suggest you look at this thread which gives some good info.

There are a few small things you will probably want to do to the 930JM, but not much. The VM is probably out of the price range, but it sure looks good so far. Just say no to an 1100/11-87. They can be made to run, but there is a decent amount of effort and knowledge that must be gained. I finally gave up and went with an SLP about 2 years ago.

If I had your budget limit I would go with the Mossberg 930JM. The Remington 1100 and 1187 just do not hold up for 3 gun.

I had a 1100 CM and it did ok for 3 years and then it started having issues and issues. A friend did get a 1187 done by JP and he ran it for 5 years with only 1 jam. We both swithched to the Salient Benelli, but they are pricey. If Remington had the Versa Max Tactical out when I decided to buy, I would of probably got one of them. I have a shooter friend who got a Mossberg 930 set up for open by Benny Hill, great shotgun for the $$$.

My biased and nonscientifically backed observations from RO'ing matches point to a single winner for reliable shotguns, the M2. Others can and do work, but the M2's seem to work more often. Save up a another 100$ and get an M2.

I own an SLP I have been shooting for 2 years. I really like it. The sights are great for slugs and it is a very robust SG.

BUT I just bought a used M2. Mostly due to weight. The SLP is heavy and loading from the shoulder is a challenge for me, Particularly while moving.

Either shotgun will likley make you happy, they both have their strengths, and neither really NEED a lot of extras to get them set-up for 3-gun.

Edited by Lead-Head

Beretta Xtrema Gen 1 can be had real reasonable right now. Magazine extenstion and maybe a trigger job and you're ready to go. Should be able to get it done in the $800 range. You can add sights, extended bolt release and extended bolt handle later if wanted for less than $200 additional.

Beretta Xtrema Gen 1 can be had real reasonable right now. Magazine extenstion and maybe a trigger job and you're ready to go. Should be able to get it done in the $800 range. You can add sights, extended bolt release and extended bolt handle later if wanted for less than $200 additional.

Xtrema and teknys are the 2 softest shooting 12g guns I ever handled. The Xtrema with the kickoff system not nearly as pretty a gun, but a shade softer shooting.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Got a 22 inch 930 barrel on my JM and marred my bolt!..be careful with other barrels.

they are not compatible. mossberg did repair it but Im still down with no gun for about a month.

I think you will still do work on the lift gate. but you will be good to go.

If recoil is a concern, the Benelli will definately kick more. It is very noticeable that it hits harder than a Beretta. I have not had much experience with other brands but would advise anyone who does not like the kick of a 12 Ga to shoot a Benelli before buying one.

IMHO I would suggest the Versamax 26". Extend your budget a bit if you can. If your PA affects your hands at all it will be easier for you to use some sort of Load 2 method then weakhand loading and a 3 1/2" loading port makes Load 2 a lot easier and faster. As MarkCo stated in the other post the VersaMax has one of the best stock fitting mechanisms and good fit is crucial. Don't let the 26" barrel throw you off. I spent more money to get a 21" M2, only to run a 10 round tube which would come out almost flush with a 26" barrel :wacko: I really like my M2 but it does have more recoil and would be more difficult for you to load. :cheers:

If you must stay in budget the SLP would only need the lifter welded to get going and maybe a mag extension.

You can get a Versa Max from grabagun for just under $1,000 shipped....

Mick

But, you will be adding over $300 worth of parts (if purchased) to get it to where the Tactical is, which is pretty close for the the 3Gun game.

I guess the wife said the budget could be $1500 if i change my attitude and help out more around the house..... lol but that $1500 would have to include the shell holders for the belt and anything and everything. It will he a month or 2 she said but $1500 sounds like thats it if need be.

Do they all need rhe lifter welded? Whats that cost? And since im new and dont know, what does it do or why weld it up?

Trying to picture the load 2data method, will youtube it or search in a minute. On the versamax the light loads will still cycle it if its chambered in 3.5"? Who makes a long tube for the versamax? Cost alot and how hard is the install? Im getting really excited the wife upped the budget. But more chores.... grrrr ;)

The Tactical Versa-Max is a 3" chamber and a 3.5" receiver. The others have a 3.5" chamber and receiver. Unless you are going open, you really want the tactical...about $1100 street, if you can find one.

Welding up the lifter is just add material to the end so that it won't slice off, or get your thumb stuck. C-Rums seems to be the guy that does the best job, and for $45, not a huge hit to the budget.

The most videos of the various equipment and methods in one spot: http://www.youtube.com/user/markpcolo

Several variations on the TWinS loads plus the Quad.

Edited by MarkCO

With dealer prices it's about $140 to $150 or for all of the Nordic goodies to upgrade the 26" versa max.

Or just get the VM Tactical from grabagun for about $1,040 shipped... B)

Mick

You can get a Versa Max from grabagun for just under $1,000 shipped....

Mick

But, you will be adding over $300 worth of parts (if purchased) to get it to where the Tactical is, which is pretty close for the the 3Gun game.

I don't mean to confuse the issue, but the Versa Max Tactical indeed has a 3.5" chamber. However, in the longer magazine tube of the Tactical version, some 3.5" shells become deformed under dynamic load as the gun recoils. The result is swelling, warping, and shell case distortion. As the Remington rep said to me at Tarheel 3-gun on 02 June of this year, "Because of that we can't put 3.5" on the gun and say it's good for that, even though it is for a couple of rounds or more. Just not the whole tube full." It's a function and liability issue when the tube is loaded all the way. The chambers are mechanically identical at 3.5". He continued "If you want to go turkey hunting with a few 3.5" rounds in the gun, it will work fine; but not the whole tube, like I said."

More quotes from that same rep: "We can't claim 3.5" since it will likely malfunction when loaded to full capacity. That's what happens with certain ammo and we can't control that."

Now my commentary: That's not relevant to our game!!!! I'm simply engaging in an exercise of correctness here. The GunBlast.com video (with whom I have NO affiliation) of the VM Tactical demonstrated that the VM Tactical does indeed fire 3.5" shells.

Thanks again to Remington for being a sponsor to that match and having the three VM Tactical samples there for us to shoot. One even had a red dot so we could play at Open style.

I happen to shoot Open with the 26" Versa Max synthetic. If I were doing Tac Optics from scratch, I'd grab the VM Tactical, weld up the lifter and call it done. Having a 3.5" capable receiver makes for a nice big loading area for starters.

I hope you are happy with your eventual choice. :cheers: