Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes and Ammo for 3 Gun Match coming up, Need help!

Hello,

I am new to the shotgun world, and have a 3 man 3 gun match coming up in a few months, was wondering about type of Chokes and Ammo that is appropriate for the Match.

Shotgun: 930 JM 24” Tactical division, unlimited after 8+1

Chokes Needed? Is a ported Choke really beneficial?

1. Light Modified

2. Improved Cylinder

3. Full

4. ?

Please click on the Stages: http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.com/forms/York_3m3g_stages_Spr2012.pdf

Type of Targets, assuming 25-30 yards:

Stage 2: Drink Bottles

What Choke and Low recoil Ammo/brand/size/weight?

Stage 3: 18 steel, 8 clays, 1 large target (75 yards slug)

Stage 5: 10 black clays, 20 Steel Poppers

Stage 6: 28 clays, 10 steel

Stage 7: 25 steel poppers, 16 clays, Giant Star Wheel

thanks

Edited by AznDragon533

After my first match (3 down so far) I thought I needed to be changing chokes and/or swapping shot sizes for the various stages. And that would not necessarily have been wrong but, after some more work with my shotgun I found I just needed to learn where to hold. Short story; the far plate rack was giving me (and a lot of guys) fits. I took some time and shells, set a pattern board behind the plate rack, and shot at it with different holds. I learned that for my gun (Rem CM) and choke (factory IC) and shells (Federal bulk #8s from Mart-Mart) I need to hold the front bead right at the top of the plate. I mow them right down now. Also a good plan on poppers, I hold right at the top of what would be the round portion. Works on clays too although I can hold center on them and still break them. So, the answer is; pattern your gun with whatever cheap #8s or 7 1/2s you can get and learn your hold point. No way around the slug issue, you have to just shoot them and see. I am running Remington Low Recoil from Sportsmans Guide, just because that is what I could get. I have not shot them enough to say much about them yet. Good luck!

Edited by chevyoneton

Do yourself a favor run # 6 shot and a mod or light mod. Shot in a match last weekend and they were having trouble knocking down the far steel with 7.5 adn 8. I had no problems with my 6 shot.

Edited by rangerguy

I have been shooting multi-gun matches for a few years and for me, I have found that the light Modified works on most stages. I also go to a 6 shot for longer range or heavier steel and stay with 7 1/2 shot for the rest. As for the ported choke, I think this would make your shotgun an open class gun IAW USPSA rules. You can check the rule book on the USPSA site.

Stage 1 doesn't look to have any shotgun, 2 rifles and 1 pistol. The rest of the stages, I personally, would use the light Mod. Check your slugs with Imp. cyl and Lt Mod and see which one is more accurate. Mine is about the same.

Remember to only shoot as fast as you can get a good sight picture. It will save you time if you don't have to reload as often!

Have fun at your match.

Doug

I've been told by some of the better shooters I run with to always choke for the stage's most difficult shot.

I mostly run a Modified or Diffusion, depending on the target, distance, and presence of no-shoots.

I shoot the York 3man 3gun matches and the monthly match. I run a LM choke most of the time. I it use for slugs and clays. I also have a Mod and Full. For the drink bottles I run the Full. Last time Howard and the guys added some distance to that stage.

Slugs, I prefer Wolf as for shot, mainly 7.5 but keep 8's and also a couple boxes of 6's.

Did you shoot the shotgun / pistol match this past Sunday at York?

Edited by JMIS

I have been shooting 3 gun for 10 years now and with my Remington 1100 CM, the light modified worked the best all around.

It liked the Remington Low Recoil slugs. Now with my Salient M2, tried the diffuser, modified, IC, Light Modified worked the best all around. It does like the Federal Low Recoil slugs a little better than the Remingtons.

I found that it is just better to change ammo than chokes. Spreaders, #6 high base, but most of the time Wally World Federals

7.5 and 8's work for 90% of the stages I have shot.

I shoot the York 3man 3gun matches and the monthly match. I run a LM choke most of the time. I it use for slugs and clays. I also have a Mod and Full. For the drink bottles I run the Full. Last time Howard and the guys added some distance to that stage.

Slugs, I prefer Wolf as for shot, mainly 7.5 but keep 8's and also a couple boxes of 6's.

Did you shoot the shotgun / pistol match this past Sunday at York?

no Major matches yet, still a little far, im still doing IDPA matches in VA.

• 8 months later...

I am going to add a few questions to this thread, since I am now in the EXACT same situation as the OP. I've bought a 24" JM Pro to get me into 3G, and although I'm comfortable in most other types of competition, I've never owned a shotgun in my life, so this is new to me.... I have a few questions..

* Is there any combination of load / choke that is not safe? For instance, can I run a slug through any of my factory chokes?

* Is there such a thing as an inexpensive practice slug? Since my indoor range (where I'll be doing my live-fire reloading practice) only allows slugs, it would save me a lot of money if I could find something I could shoot there.

* I've heard a few horror stories about dummy rounds jamming up guns, but I know I need some to practice reloads. Are there any specific rounds I should get?

* Are there any unique issues with dry-firing a shotgun (either with or without a dummy round)?

From this thread, it sounds like if I show up with any #7.5 to #8 shot size, 2 3/4", 3 dram cartridges I'll be in the ballpark, with some #6 just in case, and a few slugs. I know that knowing my patterning is really important, and I'll need to find a place and time to do that...

Edited by swhiteh3

In general don't shoot slugs through a choke more restrictive than modified. If you are shooting lead slugs it will probably shave off and exit the barrel if you're using a tighter one but still not a great idea.

I haven't found any slugs that are anywhere close to the price of birdshot. I wouldn't worry too much about doing live fire practice reloads. Dry fire will do everything out need to accompolish for reloading practice.

I've been using these for reload practice and they work great. http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/shotgun_dummy_rounds_p/12g-dummy-rounds-fiocchi.htm

I haven't run into any issues dry firing my M2 but don't have any experience with the mossberg.

The shotshells you have listed will get you through a typical 3 gun match.

Edited by jtielke

Here are some thoughts:

There are multiple aspects to shotgun shells and choke. Generalizations are ok but you need to do some research. Dram is a simple way of saying how much energy the round will produce. The lighter the dram weight the softer the recoil = lower velocity. Typically sporting clays shells are around 2.75 drams. Heavy duck loads can have about 3.25+ drams, which in my opinion means more velocity/energy=more recoil.

Clay shooters usually like 1oz 12 gauge rather than 1 1/8. Some clay shooters will say the force cones and the choke compresses 1 1/8 loads too much and distorts their patterns.

Chokes will tell you how much of the shot will be in a 30 inch circle at specific distances. You need to pattern your gun for two reasons; 1) knowing how much of the shot is in the circle and 2) more importantly to determine if your a 50/50 or 45/55 or 55/45 pattern, meaning does your gun put more shot above or below your point of aim.

As to the size of your shot, think of it like this, knowing 70% of your 1 oz load hitting your target is probably more than the actual size of the shot. .7 of an oz is still .7 or an oz regardless of the size. The size of the shot might only matter if your are on the fringe but again, it is more about the number of pellets hitting your target than the size of your pellets.

Slugs, which IMO are really expensive, need extra care. Low recoil slugs from my Benelli are fine at shorter distances but if I go out to 80+ yards, I find I do not have as much hold over needed as with low recoil slugs.

You can set your own patterning board if you do not have access to one. Use two target stands, staple paper ( I use a roll of paper I got from Walmart), put a spot in the center and note a 30 inch diameter circle on the paper. I usually swing into the center aiming dot rather than try to hold steady on the dot. To me, this emulates the actual shooting mechanics of shooting a stage.

I used my sporting clays 8 shot clays for more most of RM3G and SMM3G last year. I can either a skeet or LM choke. I had rolled the spinner at RM3G last year with 1 - 6 shot high base round with a LM. Almost everything else was 8 shot, 2 3/4 dram 1 oz. I used Rio low recoil slugs but choked on the really far slug plates. Full power slugs were needed for the distance slugs plates.

I am a novice 3Gunner but shoot a lot clays; skeet, 5 stand and sporting. I also use a vent rib with a mid bead which works well for me. Just remember, in shotgunning the rear sight is your eye. The mid bead allows me to better align my shots especially since I know my patterning.

I dont dry fire my Benelli as much a practicing loading. I am experimenting with load two -- strong hand and weak hand. I suck at it still. :goof:

I've been using these for reload practice and they work great. http://www.powerfact...nds-fiocchi.htm

Are those the same as these (except these are in a box packaging....:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988796/fiocchi-action-proving-dummy-12-gauge-2-3-4-box-of-25?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I've read on another forum that the base of them is steel, and that they are NOT for dry-firing. Is that true?

Scott

3gun shotgun is more art than science on game day. You need to do your own research to figure out what works for you.

I shoot LM as a default with nutnfancy 7.5 or 8 shot. If targets are really close and im trying for doubles I use a diffusion and if targets are further away or are close to no-shoots I use IM