Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's play What's Wrong With This Picture! Can you spot t

KSwift

So I just bought this open div Glock 17, can you spot the problem?

As for a solution, right now the only thing I've got handy at the moment is an old Aimpoint 5000.

A definite step up, but I'll probably want another Fastfire / Deltapoint here pretty soon...

But since it's already set up like this, I'm not even going to consider milling the slide and losing that FO sight, the frame mounted rail is just going to have to do.

post-40599-0-17486400-1338889090_thumb.j

Edited by KSwift

Its a glock.

Amen to that. I'm a big Glock/imports in general hater myself, carry a 1911 and usually run an M&P9 Pro 5", but I got this whole setup for LESS than what a brand new stock one sells for. :D

I figure even if I discover I hate this one as much as all the others, it can either join the closet with my other Glocks or get turned around for my moneys worth easily.

Edited by KSwift

Well that sight isn't doing you much good where it's at. If I were going to do open with a Glock, I'd do it right...

Well I haven't actually RECEIVED the gun yet, online purchase. I had a frame mounted rail for a 1911 that you could see the iron sights under it. It was one of those old 90 degree C-More style mounts.

I'm curious to see how much air is under that mount, I plan on getting a reflex style sight, and I'm hoping I can get 3 glowing fiber optic green dots UNDER a Fastfire or similar.

But either way, I don't actually plan on running this gun in any matches, I just BOUGHT as so. The reason I actually wanted it was to test out a new custom part that I'm working on. More details on that to follow once I get the patent started. :wacko:

Edited by KSwift

There are some pretty nice open glocks out there. A guy at my local club is running one. I asked him about it, so I'm just regurgitating the infomation he said. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about open guns.

And I'm totally paraphrasing obviously:

What makes an open gun seperate from a limited gun is the compensator and optical sight. The important part of the optical sight is the mount, it has to be solid in the strongest part of the frame. The frame moves and flexes, because its polymer, so you want it attached at the frame where the is the least amount of movement. You want to send your gun off to ****I think he said JP enterprises***** to get the slide to frame fit tightened (I do remember someone on the board here meantioning it also). Because the slide moves independtly from the frame which the sight base is mounted to, this is where you loose alot of accuracy. Unless you want to mount one of those small ****whatever brand*** optics on your slide, but that requires expensive mill work. A compensator is supposed to reduce muzzle climb and control recoil to allow you to get those faster follow up shots. There are cheap compensators that pretty much do nothing but look good then there are good compensators. You want ****xbrand*** barrel and ****ybrand**** compensator, but have *****Xbrand fit the barrel to the gun*****. And don't skimp on the trigger, its the heart of the gun, spend the extra couple hundred bucks and drop a full ****zbrand**** in it.

There are some pretty nice open glocks out there. A guy at my local club is running one. I asked him about it, so I'm just regurgitating the infomation he said. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about open guns.

wake me up when someone wins a major match with one :rolleyes:

wake me up when someone wins a major match with one :rolleyes:

Would you like a slap in the face to be woken up with?

Ohio State results OPEN

Edited by DocMedic

One of the few Glocks that rock. The shooter has a lot to do with it.

Few? Really? The open Glocks I see at my club seem to run fine.

People who shoot and win with a platform usually put in an amazing amount of trigger time on that platform. This man, put his name, to a certain degree, behind that platform for that match. Do you think if he can get an open Glock to run, that only he can duplicate that recipe?

It is a machine. I run machines, even make machines for manufacturing processes. If I can make a machine do something, so can you. I have even seen amazing things happen with a mill and an imagination.

Several....

No Comp :surprise:

Scope mount isn't mounted

NC Star Scope

No Ext slide lock

No ext Mag Release

Some sort of makeshift beavertail 1911 whatever that thing is....a piece of rubber mounted to it

Wrong Guiderod

And.....

IT'S A GLOCK :roflol:

J/K

:cheers:

Within 6 years, I see polymer guns dominating this sport. The long, heavy 2011 38 super is already a dinosaur. The short 2011 9mm was very hot for a while; it still is in some areas, but fading fast. Most newer shooters are realizing that you don't need that short 2 pound trigger to shoot fast and accurate. It's a new sport for us old guys who wouldn't consider anything else than the 2011. Some of these polymer guns are very sweet, and less than half the price. That is a major draw for the new shooter. It is what it is...

Ps. I would like to add that the glock pictured by the orignal poster isn't even close to what the gunsmiths are currenty building.

Edited by Rick88

Within 60 years, I see polymer guns dominating this sport. The long, heavy 2011 38 super is already a dinosaur. The short 2011 9mm was very hot for a while; it still is in some areas, but fading fast. Most newer shooters are realizing that you don't need that short 2 pound trigger to shoot fast and accurate. It's a new sport for us old guys who wouldn't consider anything else than the 2011. Some of these polymer guns are very sweet, and less than half the price. That is a major draw for the new shooter. It is what it is...

Ps. I would like to add that the glock pictured by the orignal poster isn't even close to what the gunsmiths are currenty building.

Fixed it for ya...lol

Seriously though I don't see the 1911/2011 platform giving up its dominance for many, many years. Folks have been building Open Glocks for 20 years and it still has not caught on in a big way. You could also point out that the 2011 is pretty much a largely polymer frame. It's got a bit more steel than the Glock but a properly set up package can hover around 40 Oz which I plenty light for an Open gun.

The other issue to me is 9mm loaded to major in a short frame gun, well partly my issue with 9mm loaded to major in general, you end up running a high pressure load without the benifit of creating more gas. In a 1911 platform at least you can seat the bullet out to mitigate the issue but not in a small frame gun. The .38 super is still the dominant round in Open and until Glock or S&W make a frame to fit it they will never equal the 1911/2011. Even Tanfoglio had to create a .38 super version of their large frame gun to be marketable to Open shooters. Otherwise they would have just kept running the small frame pistol in 9mm/9x21.

Folks have been building Open Glocks for 20 years

True, but most of them I saw back then were crude 40s. When 9mm became legal major in uspsa, it opened the gate for gunsmiths to go crazy with the Glocks, etc., and they have become very good at it. In my tri state area, here in the usa, I see more and more of these guns showing up in open class. I remember when everyone in open shot 38 super. Now I only know a very few who still use it in my area. Of course, in your country things could be very different. Cost was a major factor for those wanting to try open, not so much anymore. If Virgil was to start selling his factory open sti's in 9mm about $500 hundered cheaper, I'm sure that would change things...

I know of at least one gun that was built in '90/'91 that was a comped 9x21 Glock 17 with machined and lightened slide and buried Bomars (dots were not everywhere in Open at that time). I like Glocks and shot one quite a bit back then. But I just don't see it making any real dent in Open. Even if it wins matches it'll be like the Beretta winning Production. It may do the job but you don't see any big rush to buy them...

Fwiw here's me circa 1991 with my stockish Glock 17.

Glock.jpg

I hated glocks back then; I was shooting a stock 1911 with good eyes and was very good with it. But at 50, times change; it sucks getting old. Now I just shoot for fun with any gun I want, instead of being told what gun I have to use :-)

First if your going to build one at least do it so that it will run and be effective.

When i first got into open I built this gun. I was shooting Iron sight steel matches at the time and wanted to jump into open.

IMGP0243.jpg

photo_1.jpg

there wasnt a trick this rig didnt have from the tungsten guide rod to the zev trigger group. It shot very well. in major or minor and run like a sewing machine. IT NEVER shot as flat or with the speed this gun does.

36533_10150910641979375_525799374_9363475_199733981_n.jpg

I could easily out run the glock on the trigger but with the light slide on this gun and the way it is set up I can even get close to out running it.