Racer377

"G. Be loaded to the division capacity of ten (10) rounds in the

magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division

capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine

capacity, load to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine

plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the

same capacity magazines through out the competition

(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use

that capacity magazine throughout the match).

The rule initially distinguishes between "division capacity" (the number of rounds allowed per division rules and "mechanical capacity" (the actual number of rounds the mags can hold)

The rule then say one must use "the same capacity magazine" but doesn't specify which capacity it refers to; division or mechanical.

While the hypothetical given anticipates someone using a lesser capacity mag so that people don't use it as it suits them to hit slide lock at a convenient time, it doesn't go into if the mechanical capacity is higher. So, for example, on a Sig P226 in 40, if the competitor had a 12rd factory mag, and 13rd MecGar, would he be breaking the rule, even though division capacity for both (10 rounds) is the same?

Common sense would say it should be fine, as no competitive advantage is gained, but rules and common sense don't always happily coexist.

Edited by Racer377

Yes. I have a mix of 10, 12 and 14 round mags for mine. I load them all to 10.

what they're saying is that if you have 2 9 round mags and 2 10 round mags, and you want to use the 9-rounders, you have to load all your mags (even the 10-rounders) to 9 rounds for the whole match.

Yes. I have a mix of 10, 12 and 14 round mags for mine. I load them all to 10.

what they're saying is that if you have 2 9 round mags and 2 10 round mags, and you want to use the 9-rounders, you have to load all your mags (even the 10-rounders) to 9 rounds for the whole match.

That's what I thought they were getting at. Is there any definitive final word to have handy for the occasional SO that doesn't see it that way?

Racer - Everyone understands it that way. You won't have any problems loading everything to 9 (or whatever, so long as it's the same all match).

Koski

It's the opposite situation. I've got a 10rd mag, and a 16, and a few 19s.They'd all be loaded to division capacity of 10, but they're technically different mechanical capacities.

Edited by Racer377

Racer - Everyone understands it that way. You won't have any problems loading everything to 9 (or whatever, so long as it's the same all match).

Koski

It's the opposite situation. I've got a 10rd mag, and a 16, and a few 19s.They'd all be loaded to division capacity of 10, but they're technically different mechanical capacities.

Should division capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine capacity,...

You don't have that problem, just load to the max capacity of 10 rounds in magazine.

Cool.

I had run into some thinking that "Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the competition" is an independent sentence, not necessarily tied to the provision about limited mechanical capacity.

Thanks Gentlemen. :cheers:

Edited by Racer377

As long as they still allow the gun to fit in the box, you are good. I shoot a Glock 30 with Glock 21 magazines in CDP. I do that so I can reload them easier (the regular ones pinch my strong hand when I slam home the mag).

At first, I had RO's say I was not allowed to do that since CDP is 8 round. However, since it fits in the box, and all mags are downloaded to the correct number of rounds, I haven't broken any rules.

They thought I was gaming, which I suppose you can say I am, but in the game of real life my spare mag for that gun (which I do carry pretty often) is also a G21 mag (filled with 13 Winchester SXT's). I figure that once you have gotten far enough into a gunfight to need a spare mag, conceal-ability concerns have left the building.

I'm certain that the TTs will fix the language in the Rule Book that some find contradictory, and provide a more comphrehensive Rule Book that leaves less room for individual interpretation. :)

• 1 month later...

If they don't, they should be shot. Of course with a 104.9 PF SSR load that won't knock down squat.

Steve,

Does this mean that if you are squatting and someone shoots you with a 104.9 PF SSR round, it won't knock you down? ;)

--Lin

If they don't, they should be shot. Of course with a 104.9 PF SSR load that won't knock down squat.

Steve,

Does this mean that if you are squatting and someone shoots you with a 104.9 PF SSR round, it won't knock you down? ;)

--Lin

Sounds more like the "combat crouch".......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Steve,

--Lin

Sounds more like the "combat crouch".......

Is it a tactical squat or a ISMD squat?

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding of the Rule requiring same magazine capacity throughout the match is that it was promlugated to prevent those dreaded "gamers" in CDP from choosing a seven round mag (7+1) for one stage... possibly to gain a competitive advantage on reload points... and then shifting to an 8 round mag (8+1) on another stage, when that capacity suited the stage better.

I've shot IDPA Nationals with a 9mm using 17 round and 10 round mags... loaded to Division capacity + 1 at LAMR... and it was deemed legal. Just load the same number of bullets for each stage and you should be fine.

Edited by GOF

• 2 weeks later...