Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 calibers one gun

benjamin

did some searching and couldn't find anything, thinking of doing an SVI in both 9mm and .40 on one gun, is there any disadvantage or potential issues with this? thanks... when looking at dropping this kind of cash you can never be too sure!!

Nothing wrong with two barrels and two breechfaces at all. Is that what you're doing?

If you're shooting minor for both calibers, you probably won't even need to swap recoil springs. Otherwise you'll probably run a 9# for 9mm (minor) and a 11# for 40 (major).

Why the two calibers? What division are you planning to shoot? Is there 3-gun in the plan?

I have a 9mm single stack with a 38 super complete upper that I switch out quite frequently. Having issues with the 9mm so have been sticking with the 38 super. I have another 9mm SS so not a big deal. I also have a .40 caliber upper for my Beretta 92/96 that works great.

did some searching and couldn't find anything, thinking of doing an SVI in both 9mm and .40 on one gun, is there any disadvantage or potential issues with this? thanks... when looking at dropping this kind of cash you can never be too sure!!

I have a gun in production now (or it will be at some point soon) by Matt Cheely.

I'm having two different slides built.

1) .40 cal with sight tracker for USPSA

2) 9mm tri-topped for IDPA.

Some would suggest just going with a SDC .40 and loading it minor for IDPA. But I really wanted the sight tracker. And I really like the option of shooting cheaper 9mm reloads.

I have started building an SV in 9mm for 3 Gun. I will purchase a 40 barrel and breach face a little later so I can use it in both USPSA and 3 Gun.

Of course the build will be done by Kodiak Precision. Don does great work.

It is really hard beating that kind of versatility in a gun platform. The final question will be InfinityCoat or Hard Chrome.

thanks for the feedback, it will be a real benefit to be able to run my 5.4 SVI sight tracker in both USPSA and 3gun without having to buy 2 guns, just wanted to be sure before i dropped all this cash... thanks again for the feedback...

I have a 5" sightracker that has a barrel in .40 and 9mm. It takes about 10 minutes to change out and is very versitile. I leave it in 9mm for multi gun and steel matches since I have my 6" gun now and a 5.4" coming in .40. Just remember where the gun is zero'd in each caliber before you shoot a match. If you don't believe me, just ask all the no shoots with head shots at one of my big matches a couple of years ago.

I have been thinking the same thing. I was looking at an STI eagle in 9mm for IDPA and then putting a bull barrel in 40 on a second top end for USPSA.

OR

Just buy a STI eagle in 40 w/bushing and shoot minor in IDPA and then a major load for USPSA.

I have a 5" sightracker that has a barrel in .40 and 9mm. It takes about 10 minutes to change out and is very versitile. I leave it in 9mm for multi gun and steel matches since I have my 6" gun now and a 5.4" coming in .40. Just remember where the gun is zero'd in each caliber before you shoot a match. If you don't believe me, just ask all the no shoots with head shots at one of my big matches a couple of years ago.

so your zero changes with each barrel??

It will change enough to give you troubles on tight or distant shots. Close up hoser stages are not hindered as much with a zero for 2 calibers. I was caught up at Space City a couple of years ago since it was a fairly technical match.

Good luck with your purchase, I have one on order myself, It's a 40 and I recently added the 9mm conversion for a sight tracker, still have several months of waiting but I am psyched about having my first SV. I am in the same boat I wanted one gun to do everything, I have been shooting mainly 3 gun but I am hoping to start playing with some USPSA once I get it.

so the zero shouldn't move left or right, just up or down, so i could zero both of them and then remember the difference in clicks and then just change via which barrel i have, right?? i don't want to drop this type of cash and have trouble with tight shots.. or have to go to the range everytime and re-zero...

so basically if the 9mm is (hypothetically) 2 clicks down from my .40, i could just change it everytime? or am i missing something??

I have been thinking the same thing. I was looking at an STI eagle in 9mm for IDPA and then putting a bull barrel in 40 on a second top end for USPSA.

Don't you have to change the breach face ? A straight barrel swap would not work would it?

Don't you have to change the breach face ? A straight barrel swap would not work would it?

I was thinking on a totally different upper end for the 40. Different slide, barrel, sights...that way no sights would need to be changed. I have been told that this is possible between the 9&40, but no one has as of yet said it couldn't be done. However it is quite a bit more expensive. The one thing that really bothers me is that I will need two different set of mags. So the cheap part of me says that I should just take the .40 eage w/bushing and shoot two different types of ammo.

A number of years ago I was able to acquire a Dan Wesson Pointman with two uppers - 9mm and 40 S&W. It's a neat idea on paer but in actuality I tend to use the individual complete guns rather than changing uppers. The use of multiple uppers on a single frame is widely practised in parts of Europe where the number of handguns one can own is severly limited.

benjamin.

sgtsv has a sv slide that allows you to keep the same slide, only swap barrels and breechfaces. When you have one frame and two separate top ends, there will be no zero changes.

one thing is for sure; if you decide to do two top ends, order them and have them done at the same time; you will make the gunsmith happier and it will probably save you some dough.

If you wait, and then get a top end done in the future, at least have the same gunsmith do the top end; that is, if youre reasonably happy with his work.

I have a top end in 9mm and 40. Just swap them out and change mags. One for limited and one for 3 gun.

you don't rezero??

No need they are complete top ends for each caliber. I had the complete set up done at the same time. I will be getting ready to start another build this summer. I have one of my boys getting ready to shoot. Probably with 2-6" tops in 40 and 38SC.

Mike