Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 Long-Term/Future..?

Content removed at the member's request due to the business-related nature of the post.

Pinman,

Do you know if the MK7 is on the Maryland handgun roster?

Rocky, we are working on that right now. This new legislation O'Malley is bringing to the table is rough, but we are submitting samples of the current.y imported K100 and P1 to the roster board.

PM me if I can be of service.

Excellent. The local shop across the river in Virginia has one that I want to snap up as soon as I can. Great pistol.

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an STI branded GP6 as well as 3 K100 pistols. I like the styling of the gp6 hammer but have heard that it is prone to shattering after it has been through tens of thousands of rounds. The triggers are all very consistent and aside from a slightly akward takedown(It feels odd fully compressing the recoil spring to remove the slide) they are very high quality out of the box pistols. I currently own 7 different 9mm handguns and only my CZ75(w/trigger work) performs as well for me. These are the best kept secret in european guns today. I got my K100s from century and the price was right to boot ! Given some time I think these pistols will become even more popular than the XD series by springfield.

I have an STI branded GP6 as well as 3 K100 pistols. I like the styling of the gp6 hammer but have heard that it is prone to shattering after it has been through tens of thousands of rounds. The triggers are all very consistent and aside from a slightly akward takedown(It feels odd fully compressing the recoil spring to remove the slide) they are very high quality out of the box pistols. I currently own 7 different 9mm handguns and only my CZ75(w/trigger work) performs as well for me. These are the best kept secret in european guns today. I got my K100s from century and the price was right to boot ! Given some time I think these pistols will become even more popular than the XD series by springfield.

I've never seen a GP hammer fail. The STI EDM'd hammers were a bit too hard in the first batch, but I believe the revised versions shipped or replaced work fine.

http://s455.beta.photobucket.com/user/Canuck223/media/GP6/Grand%20Power/DSCF1685_zps0ee438b7.mp4.html

As for disassembly, see above.

• 1 month later...

My GP6 hammer finally broke after what I estimate were 8,000 rounds. I had shot more or less 1,000 commercial loads before I bought my Dillon and then went through 7 boxes of primers before it broke right during a practice session.

So, yes, they break. Other incidents with the Mk6 include: broken slide rails (both sides) at around 6,000 rounds and a blocked striker (something I fixed on my own). The Mk7 took care of these issues. Do not forget this is still a new gun.

I have now run 5 boxes of primers through the Mk7 and it still runs great. It sometimes does not feed (in 1% of cases even with a 1.135 OAL), and I blame it on the magazines, I have great hope over the new followers.

STI tried to make it their own by redesigning the hammer. I think that this style of hammer also exists in GP-produced pistol but I would expect a different material.

Although a K100 Mk7 is less expensive than an STI GP6 Mk7, do not forget that STI has top notch "no questions asked" warranty. They've fixed all of my issues including the new slide for free. The STI hammer is a Damocles' sword.

Edited by NicVerAZ

I've not had a single feed failure with Federal factory ammo or reloaded lead ammo at around 1.15 down to 1.135.

I do with some magazines, not others. There are three mags I trust 100% and I had zero failures at the AZ IDPA championship (where I won my class and division). The new ones which came with the K100, not so much. Sometimes it fails to go into battery, I have to basically bang the top of the slide with the flat of my hand. Incidentally, it never happens when I practice, always in matches!

I case check my ammo and for matches only use the rounds which slide in and out of my case gauge.

I've noticed that if the pistol is held vertical, slowly lowering the slide will hang it up slightly outside of battery. The corner where the barrel chamber goes from flat to round will hang up on the inside edge of breech face and the slide. Does this happen at all on yours? A slight touch on the barrel chamber's side lets it rotate that last bit.

Might not be the case length giving trouble.

I've noticed that if the pistol is held vertical, slowly lowering the slide will hang it up slightly outside of battery. The corner where the barrel chamber goes from flat to round will hang up on the inside edge of breech face and the slide. Does this happen at all on yours? A slight touch on the barrel chamber's side lets it rotate that last bit.

Might not be the case length giving trouble.

With my new guns I could sometimes get the effect you mention, but never while shooting. Sort of like rubbing your slide with your thumb, it's nice to know what could happen, but it's more important to avoid the problem.

Still if you are playing, take a look.

Examine where the slide has to be before the hammer can actually make contact with the firing pin.

If the hammer was to fall prior to the barrel rotating fully counter clockwise, would it drive the barrel the rest of the way before recoil started to reverse it's course?

I would love to set one up with a 20 round mag and a variable speed cam running the trigger. I suspect it would take a pretty hairy split time to stray into brass bulging territory, if it's even possible.

Seriously cool design.

I think that depends on the shooter to some degree. For me, early playing around with the K100/GP6 (just got it two weeks ago) has the muzzle flip being LESS than my Shadow. But that's because, once I figured out which backstrap to use, the K100 fit my hand better than any other gun I own. And, being a grip tape user on all of my guns, I'm able to get much more grip tape much higher on the K100 as opposed to my Shadow (which has controls in a lower position, and you can't put grip tape on the controls themselves.) And one last thing - the beavertail area on the K100 sticks out much less than the Shadow, which I find makes it much easier to get a really good grip on the gun - but that's because I have shot Glocks and XDM's more than the Shadow (and am not as used to the extended beavertail - it kinda gets in my way when I draw.) Having said all of that, I haven't shot the K100 a whole helluva lot and I haven't shot it in a match at all - I've been slower with it in practice stages, but I think that's because I'm not used to the mag release (need an extended one - it's on order.)

How does muzzle flip in these guns compare with CZ Shadow and Tanfo Stock 2 ?

Cpa5oh makes some good points. I honestly can't notice much of a difference with any minor power factor gun, but being able to have 4 different inserts gives one a good chance at finding a nice-feeling grip. I've picked one that fits my hand nicely, so, naturally, it feels good when I shoot with it. Haven't shot a Stock 2, but recoil felt about the same as with a Shadow.

From what I understand in a discussion I had with Jaro, CAI had placed a second order of K100s following the banic. From reading several European forums, including French (where practical shooting is known as "athletic speed shooting" and Grauffel is fully recognized as an athlete, with national news coverage -such coverage of a gun champion is unheard of in the States, a "gun nation"), the GP guns are gaining a good reputation and people are excited about them over there.

The US market is going to be hard to get. The polymer semi-automatic market is all Glock, thanks to Hollywood.

As for comparing the GPs with CZs, I don't see why not, they have similarities. And so many differences.

Hello.
I am relatively new to the shooting community. I came across your forum and I find it to be populated by people that know what they are discussing about.

I am interested in one of those(K100 or X-Calibur). Which one I choose will depend on the following information that I can not find on the internet(hopefully one of you can help me out):
I intend to use the gun mostly on the range. But, if the necessity arises to carry it I would also like a reliable weapon to carry. Price and size is not an issue in my case but my job imply that I walk/ride ATV’s in sometimes dusty/muddy conditions.

So, when I get home sometimes I notice that there is not a single place on my body that is not dusty/muddy, this is why I suspect that a weapon placed on me will be as dirty as I am.
Obviously the X-Calibur seem a better idea(really like the longer sight radius) but I am wondering if:
-the sport sights can catch in clotting

-the “castelations” on the slide can allow the access of dirt/dust/mud more easily to the mechanism, and thus making the weapon more prone to jams/failures. Can the “castelations” be covered?

-the trigger mechanism on the X-Calibur, being lighten, is more sensitive(I ask if the fine tuning has sacrificed some of the ruggedness)

-another aspect is that my local distributor stated that a decocker can not be mounted on an X-Claibur(I prefer a decocker to a safety). Please share a thought on this also.

Hopefully one of you owners can help me figure this out.
All the best!

Hello.

I am relatively new to the shooting community. I came across your forum and I find it to be populated by people that know what they are discussing about.

I am interested in one of those(K100 or X-Calibur). Which one I choose will depend on the following information that I can not find on the internet(hopefully one of you can help me out):

I intend to use the gun mostly on the range. But, if the necessity arises to carry it I would also like a reliable weapon to carry. Price and size is not an issue in my case but my job imply that I walk/ride ATV’s in sometimes dusty/muddy conditions.

So, when I get home sometimes I notice that there is not a single place on my body that is not dusty/muddy, this is why I suspect that a weapon placed on me will be as dirty as I am.

Obviously the X-Calibur seem a better idea(really like the longer sight radius) but I am wondering if:

-the sport sights can catch in clotting

-the “castelations” on the slide can allow the access of dirt/dust/mud more easily to the mechanism, and thus making the weapon more prone to jams/failures. Can the “castelations” be covered?

-the trigger mechanism on the X-Calibur, being lighten, is more sensitive(I ask if the fine tuning has sacrificed some of the ruggedness)

-another aspect is that my local distributor stated that a decocker can not be mounted on an X-Claibur(I prefer a decocker to a safety). Please share a thought on this also.

Hopefully one of you owners can help me figure this out.

All the best!

Well, if you live in the US, the X-Calibur is not available yet. You will have to wait a bit.

Also, to be honest, this is not exactly a gun that likes to get dirty, although it will most likely perform.

What you are describing is a wheelie gun.

"Well, if you live in the US, the X-Calibur is not available yet. You will have to wait a bit.

Also, to be honest, this is not exactly a gun that likes to get dirty, although it will most likely perform.

What you are describing is a wheelie gun."

Dear Sir,

I do not live in USA(although this is one of the greatest regrets of my adult life :) ). I live in Romania in Eastern Europe and in relative proximity to Slovakia. And the X-Calibur is available here. The price is a little stiff( about $1380).

The K100 is cheaper(about $740).

But the [price is not exactly the main reason of my asking. The reason is that I tend to be a more efficient shooter with a longer sight radius and barrel. So, in my opinion a barrel length of 4.5"-5.0" is optimum in combining relative ease of carry and good performance.

This is why I first thought of the CZ85(I am left handed). But this weapon has the following disadvantages for me:

-unknown life expectancy(K100 is supposed to last at least 5 years because this is how long is the warranty here)

-a little heavier(if i carry it on my hip I suspect that my back will hurt after a while)

-the CZ representative is not nearly as nice as the Grand Power one(and since I consider the purchase of a gun a very serious business I prefer to do such business with people that can be trusted).

I suspected that due to the "castelated slide" the X-Claibur does not like dirt. This is why I asked if any of you have tried to cover(fill them with resin for instance- is suspect that a bright red or a electric blue resin will look very nice) the castelations on an X-Calibur or X-Trim.

Also the

"the sport sights can catch in clotting

"

questions interest me from the perspective of people that use weapons more consistently than we use them here in Romania(the laws here are very prohibitive especialy regarding handguns-I am very lucky to be able to legally own and carry one)

So please share a thought.

Once again thank you for the fast reply.

"Well, if you live in the US, the X-Calibur is not available yet. You will have to wait a bit.

What you are describing is a wheelie gun."

Dear Sir,

I do not live in USA(although this is one of the greatest regrets of my adult life :) ). I live in Romania in Eastern Europe and in relative proximity to Slovakia. And the X-Calibur is available here. The price is a little stiff( about $1380).

The K100 is cheaper(about $740).

But the [price is not exactly the main reason of my asking. The reason is that I tend to be a more efficient shooter with a longer sight radius and barrel. So, in my opinion a barrel length of 4.5"-5.0" is optimum in combining relative ease of carry and good performance.

This is why I first thought of the CZ85(I am left handed). But this weapon has the following disadvantages for me:

-unknown life expectancy(K100 is supposed to last at least 5 years because this is how long is the warranty here)

-a little heavier(if i carry it on my hip I suspect that my back will hurt after a while)

-the CZ representative is not nearly as nice as the Grand Power one(and since I consider the purchase of a gun a very serious business I prefer to do such business with people that can be trusted).

I suspected that due to the "castelated slide" the X-Claibur does not like dirt. This is why I asked if any of you have tried to cover(fill them with resin for instance- is suspect that a bright red or a electric blue resin will look very nice) the castelations on an X-Calibur or X-Trim.

Also the

"the sport sights can catch in clotting

"

questions interest me from the perspective of people that use weapons more consistently than we use them here in Romania(the laws here are very prohibitive especialy regarding handguns-I am very lucky to be able to legally own and carry one)

So please share a thought.

Once again thank you for the fast reply.

Grand Power Romania are great to deal with.

When it comes to the service life of a pistol, I'm a little cold blooded. In all likelihood you will have spent several times the value of the gun on ammunition before wearing it out to the point of retirement. Grand Power is like many companies when it comes to gun warrantys. In practice, they tend to go above and beyond the printed warranty.

If snagging the sights and dirt infiltration is a concern, go for the K100.

As a left handed shooter, you will appreciate that all the controls including the mag release work from both sides without the need to switch.

If you need a holster for it, talk to my friend Pavel just south of your border in Varna. Tell him Dave says hello....

Hello again.

Thank you for the information.

After digging the internet for a while longer I came down to those conclusions and questions:

Conclusion: I will probably go for the K100 Dynamic(provided that they can fit it with a deckoker and some sort of night sights tritium+ fiberoptics in green color). If not, I will go for the standard K100 and procure the deckoker and sights myself.

Questions:

1.Since the rotating barrel has a greater mass and a greater friction surface is it not prone to dirt jams? I can not find a single reference to the reliability of the K100 in dry and dirty usage.

I do not say that I advocate the neglect of any gun, I just wonder. Because I know that if one is sadistic enough, he/she could fire a CZ without any lubrication/cleaning basically forever, using crappy ammunition and so on.

So, I am interested if any of you have some thoughts on this matter.

This issue interest me a lot since, in the situation when I need to carry, I would be in a situation where I would need a reliable weapon, that can function dry and dirty.

2.From the motion picture on the YouTube where is filmed a K100 discharge in slow motion(

at 00:02), one could observe a burnt gasses leak on the ejection port area. That leads me to the conclusion that there might not be a very tight fit between the components. Is this true?

Because of this, a part of the gases might end up in the face of the shooter/bystander or on his hand, instead of propelling the bullet faster down the barrel. So I am wondering if any of you had this problem.

Also, any of you have done a comparison test on the bullet speed as it leaves the barrel between the K100 and its competitors(tilting barrel competitors)?