Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 Long-Term/Future..?

Hello again.

A year and over 10k rounds have passed since I bought my K100. It is perfect, as far as I am concerned.

However, due to the fact that I managed to put some funds aside I am thinking of upgrading to a X-Calibur, mk12.

So, since I treasure the information received from this site a lot I return to ask:

1. I plan on keeping the spare K100 front sight and replace the FiberOptics on the X-Calibur when I shoot from holster, while training fro IDPA, to protect/save the FiberOptics in order to have them in good condition for competition.

So, I am curious if the standard K100 front sight can be mounted on the X-Calibur(does it fit in the same mount, or it is not interchangeable with the FiberOptics)?

2. I noticed that the DA trigger pull is lighter on X-Calibur, compared to the K100. I suspect that it is due to a lighter hammer(main) spring. Does this make it prone to light strikes, and by this not be able to reliably digest the hard primers?

3. Since the trigger mechanism is rather different from the K100's(which surprised me by how sturdy it is), does this make it prone to failure? I mean, the trigger mechanism is as sturdy as the K100's?

4. I also noticed that the recoil spring is lighter and the slide is not heavy either(due to the cut-outs). This can not be bad for speed and/or the use of lightly loaded ammunition. But, in my case I am forced to use standard ammunition of 115-125 grain(Winchester White Box, Geco, S&B, etc.) which is rather hot and heavy, I believe, for American standards.

So I am wondering if this can lead to more frame/slide failure due to heavier impact while firing(the slide being slowed by a weaker recoil spring and also by a weaker main spring-the slide also cocks the hammer while moving back so the hammer spring also slows it down).

After all the X-Calibur is aimed for competition, where people tend to use lighter loads.

Please share your thoughts on this aspect as your opinion is really appreciated.

All the best.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The X-Calibur uses a different style of front sight than the K100.

The X-Calibur uses a different sear and hammer with different geometry, but the hammer spring is identical.

The trigger and trigger bow are identical. It's the weight and feel that are different.

As for recoil springs, the X-Calibur comes with three different springs so you can tune the gun to suit your load.

Thank you bot for the advice.

As for the lighter slide with lighter spring issue, I must confess that the more I read the more confused I get(and technical stuff does not easily confuse me-I am an engineer by formation, teaching high school technical subjects).
But being cheap as I am, I am more concerned about the well-being of a gun that will cost me, literary, 5 month salary as a teacher, and not as concerned about the comfort of shooting.
And that especially since I have to use European factory ammunition(my country does not allow reloading) in this gun.
However, if the gun comes with 3 springs then it should be no problem mounting the stronger one to protect the slide and frame.
Now, the only issue I will lave is to see how hard it is to get a X-Calibur without the "predaceous" see-trough-cut-outs as I find them not to be to my liking and I really doubt that the take away so much weight to make a difference.
Oh, and what you would suggest: Lightly fluted or deep fluted barrel(if my memory serves me well they come in both variants)?
Also, if by chance your barrel suggestion can not be easily followed(not in stock, problems in obtaining the approvals to swap the barrels on a gun, etc.), please give some advice about how really important/vital is this difference so that I could evaluate if the effort to obtain a particular barrel is worth it.
I am concerned about it not being reliable with low quality/old ammunition(I know, I am in a country where the quality of ammunition is not constant, and the options are indeed limited-but the most time it is factory standard).
As a rule the ammo around here is mostly 115-125 grain(even dough lately 147 grain started to cross my path more often), factory standard with the occasional bad box of old ammunition.
All my best to you all. You truly are a well of information for me.
Edited by serghey24