Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 Long-Term/Future..?

I have a chance to pick a GP6 up for basically cost (well, just north of $500)... I'm currently back to shooting MY "ol' faithful" Glock 17, but even after having owned and put thousands of rounds through a few CZ Shadow's and tricked out CZ's with incredibly sweet triggers, the out-of-the-box trigger on the GP6 is just shockingly good (and the unique/neat trick where the pretty much have zero pre-travel and turn into a 1911 once in SA is just crazy), not to mention, their super-short reset which would have even the biggest 1911-snobs scratching their heads, I'm finding it hard to resist...

Thing is, I've got a few questions:

(1) I prefer to be able to work on my own guns, and I'm used to being able to take my CZ's/1911's/Glocks down soup to nuts; the GP6 looks pretty tricky and is a little intimidating looking at the parts diagrams for them. Are there guys out there who've been down that road and have any thoughts to share..?

(2) I read in another thread that STI isn't importing any more GP5/6 product... Anyone know I will just be stuck trying to deal with contacting Europe if I have any parts breakages or issues that require sending it in..?

(3) What are guys thoughts on their long-term reliability when put through lots of rounds and after they've seen some real mileage..? I've read a few (not many) things out there with guys having extraction issues and such and trying to get a good grasp on what I may have to deal with if I get one that's "moody"..?

I wasn't even on the look-out for a new blaster and was really surprised to see one in my LGS's case... I asked to check it out and the guy there was like "wow, you might be the first guy who's wanted to even have me get that out of the case", and after playing with it for a couple minutes and being impressed I asked if any of the guys who work at the shop had even fondled it to which he said "nope, doubt it". I handed it back to him and said "dry-fire it a couple times, check out it's trigger", dude dry-fired it in SA and immediately said "holy s**t" looking at me in disbelief...

Before I plunk down for the gun, then spend the other 200-300 for sights, mags, and holster set-up, was just wondering if the thing is worth the trouble (I think it might be) and if I just might be better passing on it and spending my $$$ on ammo as planned..?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Austin: I had light striking issues due to using slow powders (TG and 38). Cleaning the channel was easy. I only needed to punch out the retaining / roll pin, pull out the striker and spring with needle nose pliers and that was it. Hoppes 9 solvant with a .22 cleaning rod and that was it.

I spoke with David Cupp at STI and explained the problem. He offered to let me change the firing pin and hammer springs before sending the gun to them. They sent me the parts and when I took the gun apart I found the hammer spring had been replaced with something very soft. When I put it all back together it still worked AND no more light strikes.

Thank you to David and STI for the parts and support. All my experiences with STI have been very positive, which is why I wanted the GP6 in the first place.

I spoke with David Cupp at STI and explained the problem. He offered to let me change the firing pin and hammer springs before sending the gun to them. They sent me the parts and when I took the gun apart I found the hammer spring had been replaced with something very soft. When I put it all back together it still worked AND no more light strikes.

Thank you to David and STI for the parts and support. All my experiences with STI have been very positive, which is why I wanted the GP6 in the first place.

This is very encouraging to hear as I'm still on-the-fence about picking up a GP6 without the STI association (with all due respect to Robby's future venture). I spoke to STI last month and was told that dropping the GP6/5's from their line wasn't necessarily set in stone... was told there might be some news by mid August, so time will tell...

The guns themselves are relatively inexpensive (especially considering their out-of-the-box trigger quality), but kitting out the platform for serious use with extra mags, holsters/pouches, and decent sights puts them in the same neighborhood as many other more ubiquitous choices. So for now, I'm still tentative and skeptical on taking the plunge...

• 2 weeks later...

This is why in part I bought the GP6. STI has a solid reputation and the way they treated me confirmed it. Jay and David has been all but great with me and treated me like a client should be treated. This is why when I buy a single stack (I am on a budget, I cannot afford to get Cameron or similar to build me a gun) it will probably be an STI.

• 5 months later...

any other updates to this? I see Century is now importing the K100 Mk7....

Can the Excalibur be ordered with custom features such as support hand thumb rest ?

You'd have to speak with Century to see what thier plans are. As far as I know, the K100 Target should be legal for import already, but I have not heard if the newer X-Calibur has BATFE approval. If I read the points list, it should make enough points.

The X-Calibur (or any of the other models) can be upgraded with the wide metal ambi safety when Grand Power get them into production. I asked recently about the new safety, and they were waiting on pre-production samples to be tested. If you are looking for a forward thumb rest like some of the Open guys like, that would have to be an aftermarket part I think. With the accessory rail and slide stop pin, I could see something like a Bianchi Shroud working.

• 2 weeks later...

New here, been shooting for a few years and I have decided to start competing in IDPA. First I had my hear set on an STI Trojan in 9mm, then I heard that they don't run as reliably as the 45ACP. Then I decided to go with a Glock 34. Tried one out, hated the grip. Then I wanted an S&W MP9 Pro. Tried one, didn't really like the trigger (I understand it can be swapped out for a better one like the Apex). Then I wanted a CZ Custom. Can't find them anywhere, long wait times and more expensive than I was expecting. So now I am lost yet again on what to get. I'm shooting a Colt GI at the moment but I want a poly gun for competition so I ended up at the K100 MK7. Don't remember how I heard of them but I remembered that the STI GP6 was well reviewed. I go to the STI site and low and behold, STI pulled the rug out and stopped importing them. Well that sucks. Everything I read said the gun shot like a lazer, super reliable, comfy in the hand, affordable. I guess they didn't sell.

Of course the smart thing to do would be to go with a Glock or M&P since its what everyone else runs and wins with but I have always had a thing for obscure guns and I like the idea of kicking but at the range with a gun few have heard of. A stupid reason I know but I think I'm settling on the K100.

Now I can't imagine that Century will have the same level of support as STI and I was much more comfortable about the gun when it was an STI import but things change. Any idea if the STI version had a better trigger than the current MK7?

I did get in contact with Dina over at Century and she did tell me that they were looking to import all the competition models such as the X-Calibur (the one I really want). If their prices are similar to the Canadian dealers, the X-Calibur should come in slightly under $900 which sounds like a steal for a gun with a 5" rotating bull barrel and a slide with weight reduction cuts and and 3 -3.5 pound short reset DA/SA trigger.

I hope these guns take off here because they are cleaning up in Europe but they remain virtually unknown in the States. But I guess it took the CZ a while to catch on so who knows. In my eyes, it is the perfect IDPA USPSA gun. As soon as the X-Calibur comes in, i'm pulling the trigger. Why have these not caught on yet?

Now I can't imagine that Century will have the same level of support as STI and I was much more comfortable about the gun when it was an STI import but things change. Any idea if the STI version had a better trigger than the current MK7?

I did get in contact with Dina over at Century and she did tell me that they were looking to import all the competition models such as the X-Calibur (the one I really want). If their prices are similar to the Canadian dealers, the X-Calibur should come in slightly under $900 which sounds like a steal for a gun with a 5" rotating bull barrel and a slide with weight reduction cuts and and 3 -3.5 pound short reset DA/SA trigger.

I hope these guns take off here because they are cleaning up in Europe but they remain virtually unknown in the States. But I guess it took the CZ a while to catch on so who knows. In my eyes, it is the perfect IDPA USPSA gun. As soon as the X-Calibur comes in, i'm pulling the trigger. Why have these not caught on yet?

Yep, sometimes some products take a while to get some wind in the sails. Many recognized the CZ-75 as a decent design out of the box, but it took 25 years to really catch on in the US.

If the X-Calibur takes longer to get approved, and Century import the K100 Target, give it a look. If Century are smart, they can offer the X-Calibur's trigger system as an upgrade. It won't fit in an older STI gun but should be a drop in to the newer Century Arms imports. (It requires a hole drilled in the frame insert and the ejector and side plate. In the new production guns, I believe they come with the hole already drilled.)

Can't understand a word but the designer is one smart dude:

His shop is not too shabby either: https://www.youtube....h?v=snFGXPocXxY

I think Jaroslav was on his last vocal chord in the first video. My guess is after non-stop talk with the folks at the show, his voice was shot.

Since the second video was shot, the new factory has been built and all the equipment moved.

Edited by Canuck223

• 3 weeks later...

Content removed at the member's request due to the business-related nature of the post.

Pinman,

Do you know if the MK7 is on the Maryland handgun roster?

Rocky, we are working on that right now. This new legislation O'Malley is bringing to the table is rough, but we are submitting samples of the current.y imported K100 and P1 to the roster board.

PM me if I can be of service.