Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A TiteGroup Opinion

Rising Sight

It's the greatest powder ever developed. I can use it in everything from 9mm to 44 mag. The ONLY pistol load I don't use it for is 200 gr .40 loads.

Works in your shotgun too.

A well written article by Mr. Thomas. And FWIW, I agree with every word.

I bought my first 1 pounder of titegroup in January or so and after shooting it I went ahead and bought the 8 pounder. It burns clean, shoots consistant, meters well, and....well, right now it's cheap. The only observation I have is that it soots up the end of the barrel. Dang, I hate wiping off the end of my dust cover :D

About being cheap. I hope Hodgdon starts making alot of it because it looks like it could become real popular. I bought an eight pound keg in March at the Alabama sectional from a vendor for $92.00. A shooting buddy of mine last week at the GA match, bought a four pounder for about $70. Don't know if it was the difference in vendors or if the price is actually going up. Whatever the case, If I can get it at a reasonble cost, I will continue to shoot it.

One caution. What is a great advantage (low charge weights and volumes) can also be problematic. I was loading some .38 special the other day and noticed that I had to get right over the very top of the load to verify powder charge. I load on a 550 but if you have a 650 the powder checker would be of a great help.

Make sure you have powder in the round!!!

I've rambled enough,

thanks for listnening (reading) :lol:

dj

I just called the local Sportsmans Warehouse and they only carry 1# and 4# containers of TiteGroup. The 1# is $12.50, and the 4# is $46.99. That seems like a reasonable price judging from what you payed for yours. I just ordered 1000 .45ACP brass. I want to have everything together for when my new press gets here. Maybe I'll go get some Titegroup and some primers. I still have to try and decide what bullets I am going to use. Oh, and the press I am getting is a 550 also, so I'll have to be sure to check my cases like you said.

Thanks.

Just paid $14.00 a pound for the last can I bought. I am looking to get an 8 pound keg next time. It comes out to about 11 bucks a pound. I use this stuff for all 40 loads. 3.1grs with a 180 gr jhp is a great IDPA load. But the brass hits my wrist when it rolls out of the gun. I am using about 3.6 grs. now to get the gun to go a little faster.

Mike

After the match today we set up two chrono's. The Indiana State is next week so here was a chance for everyone to check their loads. Zero 180g over 4.7 T/G showed a s/d of 7 fps. Averaged 947 fps. For a 170.46 power factor. Over both chrono's. Got to love it...

m.e.t.,

Clearly, you are loading "long" for that 40?

I don't need nearly that much TG to get my Zero 180's to the same velocity. (Just thought I would flag that...so somebody doesn' copy your load and use a standard OAL...and have pressure problems)

I was talking with a couple guys at the range today about Titegroup. I was telling them how I was going to be getting my first press pretty soon and that I was looking into using Titegroup. There was one guy there that said Titegroup is a really dirty powder and that he would never use it again. He was the only person that had anything negative to say about it. I think I might get a pound of Titegroup for my first powder. I'm going to try a search and see if I can come up with any loads for Titegroup in .45 ACP.

had some spillage on the top of my powder bar ( 550). Any of you guys experience this?

Never.

==============================

There was one guy there that said Titegroup is a really dirty powder and that he would never use it again. He was the only person that had anything negative to say about it.

Tell the TG haters to send it all to me. Being one to hardly ever clean my gun, I'll never know the difference anyway.

Guest Larry Cazes

Light loads of TG in .45acp and .40sw ARE dirty. I only get clean consistant ignition in Major PF loads.

Flex - yeah, he's loading long (1911)

4.5 grs gets my SV 40 to Major PF

The one gripe I do have is that it makes the front 1" of my gun black with soot. The barrel is pretty clean, but the feedramp gets gummy after a while, too.

One use I do not recommend TG for is Minor loads in 40 with light bullets (e.g. 135 gr). When I say Minor, I mean 120-135 PF. I have found it is very inconsistent over the chrono in this regard, and very dirty. Nearly a Jeckyl and Hyde act, if you will. Here, Clays with light bullets and low PF acts much like TG with 180 gr bullets at Major PF, except Clays is cleaner.

Love tite group just a little goes a long way!!! shoot it in 9mm 40 and soon 45. it is a little direty compared to some very expensive powder but if you want to do so mething clean don't shoot guns GSR goes everywhere :-) after about a thousand rounds i have to clean my guns.... bout the same with factory ammo.. go figure.

Steve

If the concensus is that Titegroup is on the dirty side. How much dirtier is it than VV N320? I have not used any Titegroup yet, but when the 12lb. of N320 is gone, I am thinking of trying it out. The N320 is pretty clean, but the price is getting way out of hand.

Thanks,

I tried titegroup in .40 with some lead bullets, and that produced a whole hulluva lot of smoke. Others told me that that has been their finding too. Titegroup+lead bullets=London during the industrial revolution...yuck.

Everyone says its great with jacketed or plated bullets, though.

I'm sticking with WST for my lead.

DogmaDog

I just changed barrels in my STI from a STI to a Schueman.

The STI barrel had 80,000+ rounds on it so there was a little bit of use. I used 4.9 gns of TG w/ a 180 zero jhp with a PF of 172. Now, with the new barrel the same load makes a PF of 182....go figure! Time to adjust down a little!

I have shot Titegroup in .40 & used it for Super steel loads. I use 180gr JHP Zero bullets loaded to 1.21 oal WSR primers 4.6 grains of Titegroup. N320 it's 5.0 grains I do like the feel if the N320 better. If the money you save allows you to shoot more than it's worth the change.

The steel loads for Super require me to clean the gun more frequently every 1K or so but it's more preventative than required.

Hope that helps!

ogiebb-  What about the sooting. Did you notice a difference between N320 and the titgegroup? I could buy better bullets with the money that I save going to titegroup.

Thanks.

shooting was flat than my usual Berry's bullets and N320 plus its $95 for 8-9 pounds of titegroup.i decided to go with better bullets than powder.. they are both fast powders and i didnt really notice any difference (snap,muzzle rise) out of the ordinary.. .. ;)