Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange magazine behavior

Foxbat

I noticed an irritating behavior on my new gun. If you simply insert and lock in place an empty magazine, then push the button - it will cleanly drop out.

However, if you load it, the shoot, till its empty, it will not drop out, it hands onto something, you need to pull it. That happens even if I load just two rounds.

What area to look at? This is driving me nuts... none of my other guys does this. It almost looks like the slide pushes forward the follower, and it now hangs on the grip.

Tubes are SVI, with Bolen guts.

Edited by Foxbat

Additional info:

With the slide closed I can push the magazine in, lock it, and it will drop clean upon the press of the button.

HOWEVER, if I insert it on a closed slide, then cycle the slide, the mag will now refuse to fall. Not every time, but most of the time.

With the slide open the magazine drops out clean. But if I insert it with an slide open, then close the slide, the magazine now sticks in.

I had a problem like this on my wife's 9mm 1911. Come to find out I have to open up the top of the magazine on the back where the slide runs thru. The magazine had a half round cut there that the slide would dig into when it cycled. Cleaning that out made a world of difference.

Additional info:

With the slide closed I can push the magazine in, lock it, and it will drop clean upon the press of the button.

HOWEVER, if I insert it on a closed slide, then cycle the slide, the mag will now refuse to fall. Not every time, but most of the time.

With the slide open the magazine drops out clean. But if I insert it with an slide open, then close the slide, the magazine now sticks in.

Follower and slide stop?

Could you explain what you mean?

When you insert the mag with the slide closed, the bottom of the slide prevents the follower from rising up too high and binding against the slide stop. When you rack the slide, the follower moves up and binds against the slide stop when the breachface moves back releasing the follower.

Remove the slide, insert the slide stop and seat a magazine. Slightly push the follower down, then release it while holding the slide stop down, do not let the follower push the slide stop up. You can then see if the follower is interfering with the slide stop.

Hello: Another place to check to see if the follower is getting stuck on the ramp of the barrel or frame. When you insert the mag when the slide is closed the follower stays below the ramp. When you cycle the slide with the mag installed it allows the follower to rise up some and may catch on the feed ramp or frame just enough not allowing it to drop. Just another thing to check. Thanks, Eric

It looks like the follower was indeed interfering with the slide release. I simply took another one, which was more relieved inside, and that one seems to be working... at least for now, there is difference.

The slide stop is engaging the follower. You will need to grind both the followers and the inner surface of the slide stop to stop it from doing that. I just recently within the past two weeks had to do that very same thing!

Brazos website has an excellent how to!

• 2 months later...