Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sell a gun to pay for ammo?

Alright, so I think many of us are in the same boat, with the economy not doing so well, I've been getting less work this year than before. I've been shooting for about 6 years, IDPA for the first 3 (I didn't know any better :surprise: ) USPSA and 3 gun for the last 3.

I'm finally at the point where I'm seeing pretty major improvement, and I think with more training and practice I could make A in SS and maybe Limited. Plus, I have been doing well with 3 gun and really want to tear up the FNH later this year.

My dilemma is that I recently cracked open the gun fund to buy a buddy's STI spartan in 9mm that I didn't technically "need". I already have a perfect SS major 1911, and after shooting minor in SS it just doesn't make sense. The point loss isn't worth it, since I only really eliminated 2 reloads all day. Plus I reload really quickly, since I'm still young :devil: .

I bought a custom 6" 2011 all decked out this year with the plan that I would run in to Major for USPSA, minor for steel challenge, 3 gun, tactical pistol matches, etc. I would also be able to shoot SS uspsa, to itch my SS bug.

The STI is a really nice gun, and shooting minor 9 is baby soft and silly cheap, but there are only 2 matches all year that have a reason for a 10 round 9mm. I would say it's pretty good training, but I have 22 conversion kits to practice with, with are cheaper still.

I guess my problem is the fact that I don't have an "ideal" 3 gun rifle. I converted a 16" carbine gas system stag into one, but that's still not perfect.

I'm looking at an empty gun fund, knowing that a few K of 223 rounds and match fees would mean I get to enjoy my summer, but I would be out the STI. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually want it back, so the question is what do I do?

Sell a gun for ammo or just start saving money elsewhere and shut up about it?

(all things considered this is a dumb problem to have, I know)

If the gun isn't a carry everyday or primary competition gun and you need the money now, sell it. They are making new ones every day. When things for you turn around pick another one up. I have a few guns earmarked for the same thing if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Are you a gun collector, or a gun shooter?

In the words of Flexmoney "I'm a Shooter. Shooters shoot."

Edited by leas327

Dang. I am getting slow. I got quoted before I got here. :):):)

Yeah...what he said.

I don't get real emotional about tools. Some might?

Most (all) guns aren't good investments. They hold some value, but don't really appreciate. In other words, there will be gun deals down the road, just like there are today, and were yesterday.

And, if the zombies come, you can probably pick up guns that are laying around...from the dead people that ran out of ammo. ;)

Most (all) guns aren't good investments.

Hmmm, so that $600 Thompson I sold for $15,000 really wasn't a good investment. Shattered that dream. :)

To the OP, the idea of selling a shooter to buy a reloader is a better idea than just buying ammunition with the funds.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I already have the reloader... I'm not set up to do 223, and from what I understand there's almost no cost savings. Basically, I would get match ammo at cheap ammo prices, but correct me if that's wrong...

The real answer: Drop the whole "bad economy" mindset and go find a way to make more money. Pick up some hours at a second job, mow lawns, whatever--it doesn't have to be glamorous. You'll feel better in general when you have some extra money in your pocket and you won't find yourself in the never-ending spiral of selling off perfectly good gear at a loss.

I have to agree with Carmony. If you can get a part time job at a range etc that will help to pay for your ammo, that would be my first choice.

I like to reload my own 3-gun Rifle ammo for one reason, it tends to be more accurate in my gun than factory.

A) Is 40 S& that much different than 9MM cost wise? (I usually just buy my ammo from AAA, and its the same price from them.)

B) It sounds like you want to sell your 9MM SS. I haven't sold any of my competition guns, unless it was to trade up for a better version, but that's me. I think what you would really want is a 38 super SS, if you want to shoot minor. At least, that's what I would want, because I like 38 super...

C) What is "making A" worth to you, on your time frame? Could you make the same progress with dry fire, etc?

haha thanks for all the input guys. I did pick up some extra work, and painted my buddy's house the last few days. Lets see, now I have a sore neck and back, ruined a pair of pants, and earned enough to pay for 371 rounds of good factory 223...

For those of you paying attention, you may see the spartan listed for sale. If I can sell it I will, if not I might give up spending money chasing women and save that for when shooting season is over... :surprise:

try to chase women without spending money :cheers: It can be done.

Now, that being said, I spent my Super 1050 fund to purchase about 50k of primers. I'd definitely will sell any of my gun for ammo. except the gun im currently shooting. At this time, I can still afford to keep my guns and buy reloading supplies :ph34r:

The real answer: Drop the whole "bad economy" mindset and go find a way to make more money. Pick up some hours at a second job, mow lawns, whatever--it doesn't have to be glamorous. You'll feel better in general when you have some extra money in your pocket and you won't find yourself in the never-ending spiral of selling off perfectly good gear at a loss.

What I was thinking as well. I was eating lunch today and thought hmmm this sub only cost me 5 bucks. But 5 bucks a day all year is enough to keep a modest shooter in components for the year.

Pack your lunch, get a very small side gig with the intent of just making some shooting money, etc..

I've spent the last 10+ years buying guns that seemed cool only to sit in the safe. I've owned 3 rifles that most would consider "sniper" type rifles and fired less than 50 rounds form each and never in a competition so they all got sold.

I had several guns in the safe that never got used including a couple of STI Open guns. Both sold. I recently sold my very first pistol, a S&W model 19. I just never shoot it and I wanted the money for something else. It seems dumb to put it on a credit card and pay interest but that is just me.

Flex is right. I figure if I ever want another one I'll just buy it.

Keep your most versatile gun and sell...anything else.

That's pretty much what I did..... :surprise:

Next one going may just be my 18" AR <_< I am to the point in my life where if I don't shoot it (or use it as a carry gun) I don't own it

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter