Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tube Guns in Open

Am i the only open shotgunner that actually prefers a tube gun cause it's fun to load? Must be. I happen to like shoving 6 round tec loaders to load the damn thing. Yea, i practiced the sh$t outta loading. And I apologize for thinking a shotgun should be a shotgun.

I'm OK with the tecloaders, also. I've grown fond of my old shotgun. It would be a sin to abandon her just because some sexy new box fed wonder gun bats it's eyes at me. :rolleyes:

You've been around long enough that you might remember the elusive belt fed Remington 1100. They were like unicorns. I never saw one myself, but did see pictures and talked to people who claimed to have actually touched one. That might be the ultimate shotgun for open. How many rounds for this stage? 40 rounds? No problem-o, load the belt, throw it over your shoulder, and shoot the stage like Sgt. Rock. :D

Am i the only open shotgunner that actually prefers a tube gun cause it's fun to load? Must be. I happen to like shoving 6 round tec loaders to load the damn thing. Yea, i practiced the sh$t outta loading. And I apologize for thinking a shotgun should be a shotgun.

I don't think you are alone. I am pretty sure the top 5 guys at the USPSA MG Nats used tube feeders. JoJo won SMM3G with a tube gun. When I asked him about his finish in at the Nats he said that it was shotgun that got him. I asked if it was reloading or shooting: he said shooting. ;)

6 round loaders? Extensions? I would like to hear about that!

Later,

Chuck

I'll be very content to use my 26" Versa Max when I first shoot Open on June 2nd. I haven't even gone so far as to get a loader gate fitted yet. So, when the stage demands it, I'll "Load Two" with my FSL caddies and drive on......*after* I get the first 13+1 out of the gun. :devil:

Ok, I'm not a big 3-Gunner, but just switched to open. Reason is I shoot open pistol very well, irons not so good. So in the quest for the open shot gun I looked at all the options, and I do mean all, the box fed guns Saiga, shot one hated it, quit it, seen too many pukers. The new akdal holds promise, but I want to go shoot a match, not become a gun smith. When they have proven reliability it will be an option.

I have a toob gun, rem 1100, it puked, farted, and fell in its first true match test, at TX Multigun. I got my smith to find out how I screwed it up and he fixed it. I shot it in its second match an Idpa 3-Gun and it ran like a top, however you know Idpa no speed loaders 5 in the toob so pumpers do cry etc. Of course they all had to nag about my rifle, my shotgun, and even my CZ Shadow, go get the box or shutup.

I like mine, I can stuff 12 rounds in under 5 seconds, standing still, still have not mastered running and loading. No dot but a Burris Speed bead will be its next fashion accessory. One good thing about a toob gun is, take the shute and the dot off and you have a tactical shotgun.

When it comes to puking I actually saw more FN's than Rem 1100's having issues but for me the FN runs all the time, the Rem will to, if I don't take it apart again and put it back wrong.

Yes lots of M2's with long toobs, great guns, maybe I win one.

I am pretty sure the top 5 guys at the USPSA MG Nats used tube feeders.

Except the guy who won, Butler, was shooting a Saiga. Of the top 15, I count 8 that were shooting mag fed guns. At the upper level it is the shooter not the gun that makes the difference. For me, an average shooter, it makes a big difference and makes me competitive quicker than if I had to learn how to use speed loaders. The Saiga was the only reason I started shooting Open. If I already had a tube gun and could use it well, I probably would not switch and I think that is why you see many of the best guys still using tube guns.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Some people fear technology. (just teasing you)

Anyway I am all for people using what they want but match directors please stop trying to dumb down shotgun stages so older guys with tube guns stand a chance. (making every shotgun stage 12 rounds or less) Make fun stages and let the cards fall where they will. Part of being in open is having your gear become obsolete. That is just a fact of life. If you don't like it you can shoot tac optics or limited where that is less of an issue.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am pretty sure the top 5 guys at the USPSA MG Nats used tube feeders.

Except the guy who won, Butler, was shooting a Saiga. Of the top 15, I count 8 that were shooting mag fed guns. At the upper level it is the shooter not the gun that makes the difference. For me, an average shooter, it makes a big difference and makes me competitive quicker than if I had to learn how to use speed loaders. The Saiga was the only reason I started shooting Open. If I already had a tube gun and could use it well, I probably would not switch and I think that is why you see many of the best guys still using tube guns.

Doug

I didn't know about that. I wonder what Benelli thinks...

Anyway I am all for people using what they want but match directors please stop trying to dumb down shotgun stages so older guys with tube guns stand a chance. (making every shotgun stage 12 rounds or less) Make fun stages and let the cards fall where they will. Part of being in open is having your gear become obsolete. That is just a fact of life. If you don't like it you can shoot tac optics or limited where that is less of an issue.

Pat

Hey Pat...enuf of the "I want more rounds/don't mix slugs with shot" saiga whine!

Yep, I'm old, but I luv high round counts. :sight:

I've been using a JP 1100 for open. Remingtons like to be clean, and well lubed. I've never had a function issue with mine, unless you want to count the times I missed the chute with a tecloader. :surprise:

I've been shooting tac ops, heavy for the last few years, but, it seems like most of the pistol targets at the bigger matches I attend are little plates. I decided at the last match that I'm not shooting l at little plates anymore with iron sights, so, it's open this year.

I've tried shooting Saigas, and didn't like them, but, a friend of mine bought a 1919, so I made a call to Nancy, at Firebird, in March and ordered one. I was supposed to have it by now, but as of last week, she said the shotguns they were SUPPOSED to receive in the beginning of April, still was MIA, so it looks like I'll be leaving pieces of Tecloaders all over the range at the CMMG match. :goof:

I'm with you. I'm not scared of the box feds.

Pat

Hey Pat...enuf of the "I want more rounds/don't mix slugs with shot" saiga whine!

Yep, I'm old, but I luv high round counts. :sight:

I don't mind if you mix slugs and shot on a stage either. I run a coupled mag so swaping back and forth between two mags is easy. Its even an advantage if there is more than 2 or so slugs to be fired. Glad you like high round count shotgun stages I love them.

Pat

The Tar Heel 3-Gun match in early March had an all shotgun stage that was something like 25 or 26 rounds, maybe more. You'd have to reload even with a full-size X-Rail. It was fabulous. I ran it with a Benelli pump gun because that's all I had that was match-ready. With my Versa Max, as currently configured, I'd have always been reloading between the three sections, but likely I'd never go to an empty chamber. Good times! Tube or box fed, let's have fun.

The Tar Heel 3-Gun match in early March had an all shotgun stage that was something like 25 or 26 rounds, maybe more. You'd have to reload even with a full-size X-Rail. It was fabulous. I ran it with a Benelli pump gun because that's all I had that was match-ready. With my Versa Max, as currently configured, I'd have always been reloading between the three sections, but likely I'd never go to an empty chamber. Good times! Tube or box fed, let's have fun.

At the match we have coming up I designed a 28 round shotgun stage.

Pat

Pat

Pat

2011 RM3G had a shotgun only stage with a round count of 36.

Our sadistic club prez laid out a 39 round shotgun course which included 6 shots on IDPA targets at 80+ yards with slugs another slug shot on a 10 inch gong at 100+ yards and it had pepper poppers and 6 inch steel plates at 30 yards or so. He is an EVIL man. An evil... evil man.

Our sadistic club prez laid out a 39 round shotgun course which included 6 shots on IDPA targets at 80+ yards with slugs another slug shot on a 10 inch gong at 100+ yards and it had pepper poppers and 6 inch steel plates at 30 yards or so. He is an EVIL man. An evil... evil man.

Or a genius...... :cheers:

The Noveske CO MG match had a 41 round shotgun stage. 6 required rounds of buckshot out of the front of a car. Re-setting USPs guarding knock-downs at about 15 yards. Windmill at the end and some shots out to almost 30 yards. I saw guys shooting where it seemed every ejected hull was a different color. Some guys were cussing, some laughing and some just rolled over for a nap at the end. :devil:

Tubes, Xrails, mag-feds...all seemed about even in Open.

Edited by MarkCO

NO! He is evil....

NO! He is evil....

The question is...did anyone finish the stage, under par time, hitting all targets, with the correct round type?