Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9 Shield - results & questions

RobfromME

Good morning,

I picked up an M&P9 Shield a week ago and shot it over the weekend. Very accurate (1 1/2" groups on average at 15 yds from a rest).

However, I noted severe case head bulging with all Winchester (+P) and Silvertip ammo, and some noticeable bulging with Remington (+P)Golden Saber. Speer (+P) and 147 grain standard pressure Gold Dots did not bulge the brass noticeably, however a deep scratch appears as on all of the cases from this gun. I've also included a picture of my chamber for comparison so other owners might be able to compare and comment.

Have you experienced this with your M&P9 Shield?

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

Warmest regards,

Rob

post-9923-0-63682800-1336140238_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-17040900-1336140391_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-79027900-1336140536_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-13008400-1336140547_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-90628200-1336140556_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-37763000-1336140571_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-08241400-1336140586_thumb.jp

post-9923-0-05612100-1336140613_thumb.jp

Methinks there was a machining error when the chamber of that barrel was cut. The ridges and guppy bellies shouldn't be on your brass. Get in touch with S&W, forwarding them those same pics. Maybe try to get a bit better light into the chamber so you can see the part of the chamber causing the ridges.

I have to admit to being very shield curious. I talked a friend into buying one, will be shooting it next week. Shame on glock for sitting on the single stack polymer concept for years and not making a 9 or .40. S&W deserves whatever CCW margin they earn with this gun.

Edited by Ted Murphy

As much as I like the looks of the Shield and would really like to own one, I no longer buy Gen 1 pistols due to past problems which required recalls and engineering changes to make them right.

Maybe next year I will look at the Shield more seriously

Round_Gun_Shooter,

I think that's a good policy. I wish I'd followed it now. I'd bought a couple guns that were first issue and never had a problem, an HK USP45 and S&W 1006, but that's the extent of it.

What's equally discouraging is that I'd saved and bought a brand new 625JM a month ago, and as soon as I opened the box it had to go back to S&W. The barrel was not against the frame and it was noticably off-angle. When I consider the statistical chance of one individual getting two new guns with such issues out of the number produced, it's impossible for it to be random, but rather points to poor quality control, but NOT poor quality. I believe the designs to be well thought out and robust, but the execution is in need of oversight. The revolver, especially, went through several hands after barrel install and before shipment.

I'm still waiting to hear from S&W. I'm sure they'll make it right, and I hope their addressing the larger concern of quality. Two Walther recalls and a rifle recall, alone, cost them $1.8 million in 2008-2009. I'm sure that caught the attention of management.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll post my outcome.

Warmest regards,

Rob

I'm thinking the scratch on the brass is from the ejector rubbing on the case as the round is chambered.

I also notice that in your first pic, the firing pin hit on the primer looks off center. Is it going fully into battery?

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I handled the Shield for the first time today and it felt great in the hand. I wish Glock would get something in this category to market soon.

Look at how flat the primer is on the first picture. Even the striker hit dimple has been pushed back out and flattened. This is a very good example of an over pressure condition. When you have over pressure loads somethings gotta give and the unsupported portion of the case is the path of least resistance, thus the bulged cases. Given how the primer looks on the first picture I would not shoot that ammo in any gun as its obviously creating too much pressure. Its a "KABOOM" waiting to happen no matter what gun you shoot it in.

Good afternoon, all,

Here's the update on my Shield:

I'd gotten a bit impatient, so when I didn't hear back from S&W for a few days I called. The gun has to go back to them. Also, the ammo will be going to Winchester and Remington respectively.

Hopefully, there's no permanent damage and it will give me trouble-free service for years to come once it's returned.

Thanks to everyone for your time and interest in responding. I really appreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Good afternoon, all,

Here's the update on my Shield:

I'd gotten a bit impatient, so when I didn't hear back from S&W for a few days I called. The gun has to go back to them. Also, the ammo will be going to Winchester and Remington respectively.

Hopefully, there's no permanent damage and it will give me trouble-free service for years to come once it's returned.

Thanks to everyone for your time and interest in responding. I really appreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Let us know how it all works out. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon, all,

As promised, here's an update on the status of my M&P9 Shield.

Arrived today from Smith and Wesson with a note saying the barrel was replaced and the gun test fired. I compared the pictures of the chamber of the original barrel (see first part of this post) to the new one, and the difference is shocking! The old barrel has FAR more throating and it runs much deeper into the chamber than the new one. It's hard to believe just how much difference there is.

Unfortunately I won't get to go shoot it for a while due to my work schedule, but I'll be sure to post the results if anyone is interested. Hopefully, all is well now and I can enjoy it. By the way, I also got the replacement 625JM...what a huge difference from the other. Like night and day. S&W has great designs/engineering....let's hope they get their QC system under control. I'd be tempted to buy and M&P45 if the returns/warrant repairs begin to subside.

Warmest regards,

Rob

I got my Shield the day they were released, and was actually pretty surprised that the chamber was far too short to handle my standard loads for the 9 Pro's. (It ate Fiocci 115 and WWB just fine, though...)

I'd be interested in seeing a new photo of your barrel, for comparison.

Good morning, Sin-ster,

You bet...I'd be glad to send some pics. This weekend when I clean and oil it, I'll take some shots and post them. Working long hours this week, so after work I'm crashing!

Warmest regards,

Rob

Arrived today from Smith and Wesson with a note saying the barrel was replaced and the gun test fired. I compared the pictures of the chamber of the original barrel (see first part of this post) to the new one, and the difference is shocking! The old barrel has FAR more throating and it runs much deeper into the chamber than the new one. It's hard to believe just how much difference there is.

Not really. I said it a month ago.

Glad it's remedied.

As much as I like the looks of the Shield and would really like to own one, I no longer buy Gen 1 pistols due to past problems which required recalls and engineering changes to make them right.

+1 on that. I got burned when the Walther P22 first came out. All the screws and pins are walking out/loose when it is fired. I know I can send it back and they will repair it, but I just have it thrown in the back of the safe...It's not worth the time for me to even send it in.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on that. I got burned when the Walther P22 first came out. All the screws and pins are walking out/loose when it is fired. I know I can send it back and they will repair it, but I just have it thrown in the back of the safe...It's not worth the time for me to even send it in.

Having just said I wouldn't get one...I fell into a good deal...and bought one from somebody that needed cash fast. I got a chance to try it out last Sunday and it was ok. The trigger seemed pretty harsh, but then I am used to a 3lb pull on most of my guns. Not sure what I am going to do with it...probably just put it in the back of the safe for now.

Yeah ... I was afraid this problem would rear it's ugly head again.

A local shooter that I know well claims that his first run Shield did the same thing. Sorry this happened to you, but it appears, from past experiences, that S&W lets their customers do the Beta testing on their pistols. :D

You actually turned out better that the guy I know. He almost lost an eye, and had to get 3 stitches over his left eye when a case blew on him a few months back.

I see S&W doing a big revamp in the QC department in the next few years. Since their acquisition of Thompson Center they have been a bit lax. Heck, look at their Pre-TC days. It has taken the M&P how many years to get to the pistol it is today? How many workarounds or replacements on parts have they done since the original, Gen 1, came out?

Edited by roostershooter

Good afternoon, all,

Sin-ster,

Please accept my apologies for not posting photos yet. I hadn't forgotten, I've just been so busy at work that I haven't even had a chance to play with any of my gun or reloading stuff for the past several weeks. I'll have some pictures posted this weekend, though. I decided I'd put up this quick post, so you folks wouldn't think I'd dropped the ball. I appreciate how important the info can be on this website. It's been a great resource and I'd like to do my part!

Thanks for your patience, and my apologies again.

Warmest regards,

Rob