Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why go to S_I?

When I first started looking to build a limited gun I went to Rusty Kidd (Atl Version) and asked him what would he charge to build me a gun out of a P16. He told me that he would ask me to go somewhere else to have it built.

He told me that he would ask me to go somewhere else to have it built.

That's funny (only 'cause I can hear Rusty saying it). :D

John - Sorry we didn't get together on Saturday. Wished we could have to see the 'goose.

I'll have to come out again...soon. Them GA women are incredible.

Rich

• 1 month later...

My Para's all shoot great, until S_I make's a double action 9mm on a 1911 frame for Production Class (I have four Para's now), I'll be shooting Para. I have 2 STI's, one custom one factory -a Caspian, and many more, I shoot shoot iron sights only, I'm a relatively new to the sport - competed about 50-60 times in the last 2.5 years - so all my comments have to be tempered by that fact, but, I still grab the P-16 40 limited if I'm shooting Limited and since I am shooting Production for the forseeable future my Para LDA 18.9 Limited gives me the best of all world's - I get to hold a 1911, my trigger is smoother than the lightest sprung Glock (uh oh - I'm in for it now), and the LDA trigger system is almost flawless (Walt Rausch and Joe Venezia took a LDA .45 a few years back and put six thousand rounds through it in 2 days, and some very hot loads to boot, they did not have one FTF, FTE or any malfunction of any kind - in fact the gun got so hot that the steel dust cover started to melt - it actually drooped 1 to 2 inches, they had to keep a bucket of water by them to cool the gun down, after that day, Walt and Joe never knocked Para's again) Is there production process perfect - no, Are they equal to or better than STI/SVI - probably not, but dollar for dollar they are pretty amazing.

TY

Jon

Walt if your reading - please add your $.02 about the LDA torture test, Joe V. told me that the dust cover actually started to melt off the gun. Also confirm that you guys didnt have one malfunction during the LDA torture test.

If anyone who reads this post has Walt's email, please forward this string link to him so Walt can confirm or deny.

Thanks,

Jon

B)

Gary Groh in Columbus, IN built mine in two weeks. Custom on a STI frame with lightening holes and slits in the slide, custom rear serrations, we together picked out all the parts he ordered. It came in about the same $ as a stock Edge as bought through a retailer. Nowlin bull barell, the trigger with interchangeable inserts, Bo-mar rear, Dawson FO front, recoil master, AFTEC extractor, STI magwell. Cyclone mag release, blued.

I also shoot with 34 time's 60 year old master quite regularly. He had Gary build a custom off a Para frame. If you can get a Para frame/ slide cheap enough you could save a few hundred bucks over an STI.

Having the gun custom built for you is the thing, and I believe ultimately cheaper in the long run.

My scores went up 10% over the G35 I was running. I think it would have been the same with a custom built Para though.

Tom Bergman

melted dustcover?? :unsure:

i dont know how one could get a gun hot enough to melt a part of the frame, and not burn the pi$$ out of your hand???

I have gotten the glock hot enough to soften(slightly melt) a kydex holster...it has a plastic dustcover too.

it would take me seeing that for myself, or a polaroid pic to believe it :P

Just about any quality Part that works in the STI/SVI will work in a Para-

I feel that Para and Caspian is a more solid platform-build a Para with

a gunsmith frame and caspian slide or wait a little while and build a

Caspian forty_ I just finished building a forty caspian had to make a

couple magazines to run test's on it its really nice- Caspian is the only folks in

the gun business that Ive delt with That have allways been willing to help they are

a class act in my opinion-SVI is hard to get along with and hard to

get parts from-STI is ok but everyones got one.

Jim Anglin

jjanglin@msn.com

Put my .02 in for STI. started with a para and the difference

was night and day to me. STI fits hands much better and can

customize the grip for your hands, to many options to list them all

here..

just my .02

Three of us shooting today. The G35 shooter gets to shoot my STI and a Brazos SC.

"It's like cheating", he says.

I was hoping to meet Flex last weekend at MR@P, he must be awesome with that G35. Next time perhaps.

I own both; a STI and SV Long Dust Cover .40 cal.

I first shot the STI for about a year. I had Scott Grips put on it and really enjoy the reduced size of the grip.

I just got my SV and still learning how it shoots. I really like my new gun. I will either put the STI in the safe or sell it. My new SV is head and shoulders above the STI in pleasurability of shooting.

Both guns were built with custom parts. The STI start out as a short block kit while the SV was from custom from the beginning.

Subjectively, I vote for the SV. I really like their stuff. The slide has the removable breech face as well as a couple of other nice features.

I am a big supportor of the Tri-glide trigger system. I have one on my single stack also. I also like SV mags better than the STI. They seem to work better for me.

Knowing what I know now, I would have never started with the STI, I would go straight to SV and have it built by a custom gunsmith. I prefer Kodiak Precision. But Bob L and Benny H. do fine work also.

I think the real key to an awesome gun is the personalize touch of a custom gunsmith. You can pick your parts that way.