Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning glock magazines

MarkR

I figured I'd post this in the glock section for a more centralized response. What's everyone using to clean their mags? Or do you even worry about it. Last uspsa match was in loose dirt, magazines had a little dirt kicked up when dropped. I'd just beat them while empty and knock any loose dirt out then load up.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much what I thought. They're not sensitive hi cap 1911 mags. I had no problems the last match with just beating them against my leg or palm.

If I drop them in the dust at Best of the West (Texas Multigun Range) I'll hit them with a can of compressed air and a dry rag. I use Dawson extensions so if they're really bad I can take them apart to dust out the inside and check the spring every now and then.

CM

Pants, shirt sleeves, rags.

I've seen prod. GM with a little mag cleaning box. He takes apart his CZ mags after every stage and run a brush though them. Glock mags are a pain for me to take apart, even with the GTUL.

If I was shooting nationals or something I could see maybe tearing them down each stage, but especially since I just started competitions I don't see the reason for me to do that.

Very nice responses. Thanks a ton. I just wanted to more confirm what I thought, Glock mags run regardless, within reasonable limits that is. I bought a few KCI magazines, 2 wouldn't drop free, sanded them down, replaced internals with Glock internals and they seem good to go. Figured they'd at least turn in to range magazines, and I'll only use one as my 4 magazine in matches, on a need to use basis. I like the idea of using silicone to wipe them down with, at least it makes sense.

I don't really understand why people buy aftermarket Glock mags. It's not like new ones are $100 like STI mags.

My father in law actually bought them. He orders from Sportmans Guide at least once a month and had a free shipping coupon for orders over $100 that was about to expire. I have 10 factory magazines, had been curious about the Korean ones though, and they had a sell on those 3/$30 so figured why not. I got 3 magazines, he got free shipping on his ammo and gun pouches.

Plus I figured doing reload drills in the garage, I can just drop the KCI mags on the floor, even though carpeted, at times if I'm moving while reloading I'll miss the carpet. If one hits the concrete, it's a cheap mag, no harm done.

Edited by MarkR

Dropped one in the mud last year. I took it to the nearest puddle and sloshed it around to get the big stuff off and finished the match with it. cheers.gif

+1. memories of Buckeye Blast's Past....

I'm thinking that it will make a difference on how you have your gun set up. A stock gun will likely not be affected by less than perfect magazines but who here is running an open gun ? Better yet an open gun with a light spring ?