Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest slugs and buckshot

Fella's in advance thanks for any help you can offer! I'm playing with a little shotgun and am trying to find the lightest rounds I can get to cycle reliably. I'm a LR shooter so when it comes to scattergun shells I'm lost unless I can find them on the shelves here in town (Okc, Ok) but am not against ordering them. Reason is to just see how light I can go and for a couple of girls I know that would really love to shoot 3-gun but just are not fond of the 3 1/4 dram loads beating them.

So far the lightest slugs I've found are the Fiocci 1145fps 1oz haven't found any buck other than the high velocity stuff, and ran some 1145fps 1oz shot and think they could handle these fine BUT if there is lighter out there I'm sure they would enjoy. Fella's thanks and opinions are more than welcome. Later,

Kirk

For slugs try b&p if you can find them. For buck I always liked federal tactical low recoil buckshot. They both run ok in my browning with the sporting clays piston, but I have known folks who have had problems with the b&p slugs in the benellis. So ymmv.

Edited by caspian guy

For slugs and buckshot, I like the Federal Low Recoil Tactical best. They would run my Benelli with no problems and recoil was not bad at all. In an 1187 they run great.

My son shoots a CZ and these Federal low recoil feed and eject great. POA at 50yards. The Brennecke reduced recoil slugs also work well, but are more expensive.

gerritm

So from reading your opinions the Fiocci 1145fps 1oz. slugs are gonna be about the softest slugs out there? I can't find squat for buck here in town so I guess it's time for some internet ordering! fella's thank a mess I appreciate your answers. Later,

Kirk

Winchester makes AA birdshot loads that are 980 fps...talk about soft.

NobelSport makes some loads that are reduced recoil and very soft, birdshot, buck and slugs. Black box "LR1" in blue and green is what you are looking for.

B&P slugs are pretty soft. I'd actually be surprised if they make 1150 from a 22" tube.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can buy a box of B&P to try out? Or even have a few you'd be willing to sell?

CM

There doesn't seem to be any available. B&P says they should be in stock, around 5/1. Dillon won't even backorder them. I went with Fiocchi 1 oz. slugs.