Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS STATE LIMITED CHAMPIONSHIP

It was the hottest match I have ever shot in but my squad was great and the stages were challenging. The stages only had 1 RO so everyone had to help with scoring. I could have called a DQ and 1 or 2 penalties but I didn't feel it was my place to do so as a competitor. All the stages need 2 RO's so the rules can be enforced as they are observed. Just my humble opinion.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a lot of fun. Thanks to Jimmy and a great bunch of people who put it on.

It was hot. I zeroed my last stage on Saturday and I'll blame it on being so hot that I was sick and way more interested in getting it over with than I was in finding the targets and figuring out how to shoot them.

Yeah, the chrono looked goofy on it's side, but it seemed to work just fine like that. My PF was about where I expected it.

Good food, great people, lots of shooting, interesting and challenging stages. I'll be back!

EDIT:

I was on a great squad. Hats off to the West Texas guys: Kale Garretson won Limited. Jim Bodkin and Jordan Ohlmann were first and second in Production. All three of them as well as the rest of my squad helped me survive my first major match.

Edited by mgood

This was my second Texas Limited Championship Match. Despite the heat, I had a great time shooting with Squad #5. Team Infinity was well represented with Ron Brown (3rd Master), Nic Neel (HOA Open) and Lee Neel (2nd HOA Open). It was a pleasure to shoot with two very famous Ladies....Lisa Munson and Athena Lee!!

Thanks to Jimmy and crew for all of your hard work!

Here is my less than perfect performace:

It was the hottest match I have ever shot in but my squad was great and the stages were challenging. The stages only had 1 RO so everyone had to help with scoring. I could have called a DQ and 1 or 2 penalties but I didn't feel it was my place to do so as a competitor. All the stages need 2 RO's so the rules can be enforced as they are observed. Just my humble opinion.

Good Point Dave!!

Jimmy is thinking of scheduling the match for May 11-12, 2013, the second weekend... Gotta be cooler! We had more shade and a little breeze on stage 1 but it was still plenty warm. If you know of any serious conflicts, he'd appreciate notice.

About the chrono tilted over on its side... the biggest error factor for a chrono is direct sunlight. A box and artificial light is probably best but putting the chrono on its side is way better than upright in the sun! We chrono'd both my lead and jacketed rounds and both were where I expected.

Three ROs canceled at the last minute so we were really short of officials. If you'd like to shoot the match for free next year, PLEASE offer to help! You don't have to have taken the RO or CRO course to be a scorekeeper.

Bill

Edited by bpowe

Bill - what about the rule that states:

"The chronograph(s) must be shielded from the effects of changing sunlight. Setting the chronograph(s) in the shade of a tree, or under a cover which allows a differing amount of sunlight to touch any part of the skyscreens or skyscreen brackets is prohibited. The recommended method for outdoor locations is to use an enclosed “chrono box”. In all locations, the use of either infrared sensors or incandescent lighting provides the most consistent, repeatable results."

OR THE ONE THAT STATES

"In all cases, the skyscreens must be positioned and spaced per the manufacturer’s requirements for the chronograph in use. The closest skyscreen must be placed no less than 10 feet from the shooting location."

Both of these rules were broken - no sky screen and less than 10 feet. Its just sad to hear the next day of friends getting bumped to minor on other squads for a very improper set up chrono when there was no requirement to having one.

The saying goes something like - "If you're not going to do it right - DONT DO IT AT ALL"

Not trying to pick a fight or anything - but for the sake of those that got bumped to minor - either do it right (by the rule book) or don't do it next year!!!!

Edited by bsdubois00

"Skyscreens" are the photo sensors, not the frame to support light diffusers, the sky screens are built into that model of chronograph. If the diffusers has been used with the chrono upright, it would guarantee a differing amount of sunlight reaching the sky screens. In the absence of a box or a shade tree, tilting it on its side minimized the effect of changing light conditions.

Firing from 5 feet rather than 10 feet while incorrect according to our rules, would be in the competitors favor.

I don't know if Jimmy realized that a chrono stage is only recommended rather that required at a Level II match but you can bet your bippy he wasn't trying hurt any competitor.

-

Bill - what about the rule that states:

"The chronograph(s) must be shielded from the effects of changing sunlight. Setting the chronograph(s) in the shade of a tree, or under a cover which allows a differing amount of sunlight to touch any part of the skyscreens or skyscreen brackets is prohibited. The recommended method for outdoor locations is to use an enclosed “chrono box”. In all locations, the use of either infrared sensors or incandescent lighting provides the most consistent, repeatable results."

OR THE ONE THAT STATES

"In all cases, the skyscreens must be positioned and spaced per the manufacturer’s requirements for the chronograph in use. The closest skyscreen must be placed no less than 10 feet from the shooting location."

Both of these rules were broken - no sky screen and less than 10 feet. Its just sad to hear the next day of friends getting bumped to minor on other squads for a very improper set up chrono when there was no requirement to having one.

The saying goes something like - "If you're not going to do it right - DONT DO IT AT ALL"

Not trying to pick a fight or anything - but for the sake of those that got bumped to minor - either do it right (by the rule book) or don't do it next year!!!!

Firing from 5 feet rather than 10 feet while incorrect according to our rules, would be in the competitors favor.

I don't know if Jimmy realized that a chrono stage is only recommended rather that required at a Level II match but you can bet your bippy he wasn't trying hurt any competitor.

Exactly. While it sucks that a couple of guys went minor, I know at least in the case a mutual friend (who was on my squad), it had nothing to do with the chrono setup. He was simply cutting it a little too closer than he realized with temp sensitive powder and got burned, even when they gave him 8 rounds to make major. Had they moved back to the proper distance, he would probably have missed it by a lot more. He got bumped to minor because he was shooting minor.

I personally love this match. The stages are bigtime fun, the people are great, and the "informality" frankly makes it a lot more enjoyable. It also sounds like Jim is taking all the constructive critism to heart and I imagine he will make all the necessary corrections to make the match even better next year.

Edited by Chris_Andersen

This is exactly right. If you got bumped to minor with that set-up, you deserved to be bumped to minor. My ammo was ~40fps faster than when I chronoed at home. That being said, it is no excuse for not setting it up per the rulebook. It exists for a reason.

It also sounds like Jim is taking all the constructive critism to heart and I imagine he will make all the necessary corrections to make the match even better next year.

I really do hope so. I sent Jimmy my thoughts on the match (both good and bad) along with the ways I thought he could improve. I think the single biggest improvement he could make is get the attendance up by announcing the match as early as possible. Going over the rules and common issues to be enountered on the stages with his RO's will be the next biggest improvement.

I plan on shooting next year to see how he has implemented the suggestions from the shooting community.

I'm not so sure about the chrono thing being in my favor.

Using the exact same ammo at MS Classic and Double Tap - I chrono'd at 132pf. I hit 125.6 PF last weekend. TG is not reverse temp sensitive if I remember correctly so it should have been much higher due to the heat. If I'm correct the muzzle blast can cause errors with the readings that can effect the reading. Which way - now that I'm not sure - I just know how I chrono'd a month ago under simliar situation under a correctly set up chrono.

Using the exact same ammo at MS Classic and Double Tap - I chrono'd at 132pf. I hit 125.6 PF last weekend. TG is not reverse temp sensitive if I remember correctly so it should have been much higher due to the heat. If I'm correct the muzzle blast can cause errors with the readings that can effect the reading. Which way - now that I'm not sure - I just know how I chrono'd a month ago under simliar situation under a correctly set up chrono.

Either way, the guys who got bumped to minor should have just protested the stage and had it tossed. 4-5 stages should have been tossed due to soft/hard cover issues or changing start positions throughout the match.

Muzzle blast will play an effect, just not sure which way. One of the open shooters I know had to shoot ~8 rounds just to get one to register.

This match last year was my first major match. I was impressed with how well the stages were run, and how much fun I had. This year's was rough, not enough help will do that, but I bet next years will be a good one. Hope those who don't want to go back change their mind.

FWIW. I see a few old-timers setting up their chronos on the side like that.

These are fuzzy old rifle shooters who are obsessed with FPS and stuff.

C'mon: chrono was no big deal, although I wish we would not have had to. Thanks to the mild temp's, I came in at 180PF. Woo-Hoo!

Jimmy's announcement that he is going to allow Open from now on is a really good move, I think.

Also, changing the date to a cooler month. There were a couple stages where I got pretty pretty light-headed from dehydration. My squad was great and brought me plenty water and such - they probably just wanted to make sure they wouldn't have to carry me! :lol:

Anyways, I liked the stages despite the lack of overhead clearance on some of them.

And I loved the belt buckles. I wish Jimmy would have made one for revo - perhaps next year...

And I loved the belt buckles. I wish Jimmy would have made one for revo - perhaps next year...

I thought he said he was getting one for revo, but it wasn't ready yet and would be sent later. Or was that something else?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...