Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max

T Bacus

Shot one today. I like it. Seems to come pretty well ready to run - if you can live with the narrow loading gate. May get one and have Benny open the bottom up and see how much better it works with the load 2 loading method. The longer lifter opening has to be easier to work with when you do the load two thing.....

What did you pay for yours? Straight from Remington or from someone else?

Couple questions for the shotgun experts.

Does the Versa Max need to get the bolt lightened like the benelli or is it ready to go from the factory?

Also does the hammer follow the bolt down if you outrun the gun like it does on the benelli?

I’ve read that the trigger groups and stocks are interchangeable, is that true.

Thanks, Ryan

Shot one today. I like it. Seems to come pretty well ready to run - if you can live with the narrow loading gate. May get one and have Benny open the bottom up and see how much better it works with the load 2 loading method. The longer lifter opening has to be easier to work with when you do the load two thing.....

What did you pay for yours? Straight from Remington or from someone else?

Ordered it for the shop at a distributor show back in January. Came in this week, on time of all things. They said April delivery, but I was expecting it to be late. With our show discount I paid just under $1,000 for it.

Does the gun have a 3" or 3.5 chamber?

Barrel is marked 2 3/4 & 3".

Bad cell pic

p1000107d.jpg

My Competition Master runs great on Remington Nitro 27 loads. The pink Federal loads choke it to death. I put 50 rounds of the pink Federals through the Versa today and it was flawless.

Edited by T Bacus

Versa max is similar to benelli. We lightened bolt on one of mine and left other stock. Both run everything I put in it. Plus you can ghostload it without any mods. We did open up loading port and it made it much easier to load.

Is the VM Tactical's carrier modified/welded up, or does it have the same "fork" as the regular VM?

From the photo posted above, the receiver looks to be the same length as on the 3-1/2" guns (not really a surprise). The stock looks shorter by maybe 1" or more.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

So, is the firing pin retainer exposed through the ejection port or captured by the receiver?

Can we get a pic of the other side?

Mick

Bad cell pic

p1000107d.jpg

My Competition Master runs great on Remington Nitro 27 loads. The pink Federal loads choke it to death. I put 50 rounds of the pink Federals through the Versa today and it was flawless.

A standard 11-87 but pad bolts striaght on to the Versa Max and shortens LOP by at least a half inch. Made a big deifference for me...

Mick

Is the length of pull shorter on the tactical model? It looks like it compared to the field model but I could just be seeing things.

Just passed the 300 round mark, straight out of the box, no cleaning so far. Have shot Pink Federals, Remington Nitro 27's, Royal buckshot, Remington reduced recoil buckshot & slugs, Winchester AA's, Remington Gun Club and some black hulled magnum buckshot we had loose in a box at the range. So far no failures of any kind.

from what i heard today the versamax is basically a benelli m4, benelli's patent expired.

okay! that may explain it, i could not figure out way Benelli had not sued.

from what i heard today the versamax is basically a benelli m4, benelli's patent expired.

okay! that may explain it, i could not figure out way Benelli had not sued.

I'm not entirely certain how fair a comparison that is. [Edited] Apparently, mechanical patents do expire. I was not aware of that. I have no knowledge of any particular Benelli patents that may be involved. [end Edit]

With regards to my fairness comment, the Benelli ARGO dual piston design looks very much like what I see in my Versa Max. However, the multiport gas regulation in the Versa Max chamber appears to be a Remington developed feature. I'm not a patent attorney (just an engineer), but the combination of the multi-port gas system mated to the dual pistons could well be considered a unique gas-operation *system* when viewed through a proverbial legal lens.

That type of potential system enhancement has a long history in engineering & technology. As you can see from my signature block, I own both company's products. I've tried to be neutral and non-fanboy-ish here. [Addition] My technical intuition is that the complete VersaPort system could legitimately be considered a significantly enhanced design by Remington. [end Addition]

Edited by michael1778

• 2 months later...

So, is the firing pin retainer exposed through the ejection port or captured by the receiver?

Can we get a pic of the other side?

Mick

Bad cell pic

p1000107d.jpg

the firing pin retainer on my lighten has beem my only issue, it wants to walk out on a long course and jam, i am replacing with a roll pin before rockcastle, jeff/c-rums did my trgger and new lifter that is great.

the firing pin retainer on my lighten has beem my only issue, it wants to walk out on a long course and jam, i am replacing with a roll pin before rockcastle...

Consider Deremeling a slight divot behind the o-ring instead... I did this on mine and it makes the retainer feel a lot more secure (although to be honest I never had a problem with it walking). Here is a photo of someone else's bolt so modified:

d8299a96-9475-0ceb.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

the firing pin retainer on my lighten has beem my only issue, it wants to walk out on a long course and jam, i am replacing with a roll pin before rockcastle...

Consider Deremeling a slight divot behind the o-ring instead... I did this on mine and it makes the retainer feel a lot more secure (although to be honest I never had a problem with it walking). Here is a photo of someone else's bolt so modified:

d8299a96-9475-0ceb.jpg

thanks, my bolt has been modified differently. the rasied part in the picture on mine is gone. a local gunsmith copied my Benny M2 bolt job. all but for the very front, because i could not remember if the M2 had that extend part that goes round that same side of bolt, like a guard.