Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield TRP

johnny1gun

I always wanted a Springfield TRP. Now I have one and I cant get it to run reliably.First it was not feeding SWC. Got that fixed ,now when I do a reload only with a full mag and 1 round in the chamber. It fires the round in the chamber then goes to slide lock. It looks like its draging the top round into the slide lock.Ive tried a bunch of stuff, but nothing has worked. Does anyone out in enos land have any ideas. Please save me from myself. :(:wacko:

Thanks,John

All mags? Just one or two?

Are all the mags the same manufacturer?

All mags.I have CMC power eight,Wilson 47,and ETM.Do you think shorting my ammo would work.Ill have to try that.I am shooting 200gn swc Bayou Bullits.

Edited by johnny1gun

You need to take your slide stop out and put a radius in the front leading edge that touches the mag follower closest to the rear of the gun. Then you need to put it back in, insert an empty mag ang see how much meat you can take off but still have lock open on an empty chamber, them remove slide stop again and file it down to that minimum going slow of course. You should end up with a curved and shortened tang left. I'd almost bet this will fix your problem cause it sound like your bullet it touching the stop as it comes up causeing the gun to lock open. :cheers:

You need to take your slide stop out and put a radius in the front leading edge that touches the mag follower closest to the rear of the gun. Then you need to put it back in, insert an empty mag ang see how much meat you can take off but still have lock open on an empty chamber, them remove slide stop again and file it down to that minimum going slow of course. You should end up with a curved and shortened tang left. I'd almost bet this will fix your problem cause it sound like your bullet it touching the stop as it comes up causeing the gun to lock open. :cheers:

It really sounds like ^ this especially if it's doing the same thing with every mag.

But the ammo is the other variable. If it does this with other ammo, then I'd say definitley the slide lock pin nubbin thing. If other ammo works properly (you didn't mention if you tried other ammo) then I'd say it's your SWC ammo.

Pick up a spent case, and look for marks on it. If there are scratches/marks along the entire length of the brass, it might be dragging on the disco rail.

Edited by polizei1

My TRP had the same issue when using Wilson Mags. I took the gun to Wilson, they replaced the slide stop and magazines and it did not correct the issue. I traded my Wilson magazines for CMC Power Mags and the gun has been flawless for over 4 years...

Well I fixed the problem. I have 6 words for you. Shock Buff....Shock Buff.... F-ing Shock Buff. :devil: Ok thats seven but you get the point. Guess it wasn't letting it cycle all the way threw. Now it runs everything. :) I believe it was the cause of my feeding problem as well,that I fixed earlier. Thanks for all your help. Hope others can learn from my mistake.I read on hear that they were bad news ,but it worked in my RO. So I just kept using it. What an idiot. :goof:

Edited by johnny1gun

Interesting - I have a TRP and run a Wilson shock buff. No issues feeding cast 200gr SWC's and the only other problem is it won't lock the slide half the time shooting light target loads. Mid-range or full house loads run fine. I'm running CM 8-round Power mags and may order some 10-rounders since Midway has them on sale.

Shock buffs just treat the symptom. The cause of battering is a worn out/improperly weighted recoil spring. If you have the right spring in your gun, it won't batter the slide or the frame. And shooting is a lot more pleasant too.

Well I fixed the problem. I have 6 words for you. Shock Buff....Shock Buff.... F-ing Shock Buff. :devil: Ok thats seven but you get the point. Guess it wasn't letting it cycle all the way threw. Now it runs everything. :)

Glad you got it figured out. I run shock buffs in every limited pistol I shoot without issue. Was the buff trimmed to size? Most are oversize out of the package.