Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 16-40 Limited Customization list - Thoughts?

mrgreentie

So I'm a day away from purchasing my first Para. I'm super amped.

Everyone I tell gives me crap and say "Buy an STI". The truth is, I don't want an STI. I want to pimp out a Para and run with and beat guys following the crowd with their STIs. I've heard a lot of talk about Para's not running but I'm set on doing this so it's on!

Below are the list of components I'm planning on swapping out on the gun. What are your thoughts? What am I missing?

• Doug Koenig 1911 HiCap Low Mass Hammer
  • Replace trigger parts and have trigger job
  • Remove 80's safety parts
  • Dawson Precision 1911 HiCap Barrel Bushing Match, Stainless Steel
  • Ed Brown 1911 HiCap Wide Ambi Thumb Safety, Stainless Steel
  • Gun Craft Standard Serrated Steel Mag Release with Extended Button, Stainless Steel
  • Dawson Precision Ice Magwell, Silver with Black insert, Flat Mainspring Housing
  • Dawson extended basepads
  • ISMI Mag Springs
  • All new internal springs

Good sights are definitely required. My eyes prefer fiber optics. Try several friends guns to get a better idea of what works for you. It'll save some $$ for ammo. I'd also strongly suggest you have the barrel throated to take up to 1.200 oal and the ramp worked on to feed anything. Easier to find a preferred load. I recommend Para mag bodies (nickel if you can find them), ISMI 140MM mag springs and Dawson followers and extensions. Loads and feeds 20 rounds reliably in my P 16. Then shoot snot out of it and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

:cheers:

Forgot to mention I am replacing the extractor. I'm thinking about using a Wilson Combat extractor. Will this work?

So I'm a day away from purchasing my first Para. I'm super amped.

Everyone I tell gives me crap and say "Buy an STI". The truth is, I don't want an STI. I want to pimp out a Para and run with and beat guys following the crowd with their STIs. I've heard a lot of talk about Para's not running but I'm set on doing this so it's on!

Below are the list of components I'm planning on swapping out on the gun. What are your thoughts? What am I missing?

• Doug Koenig 1911 HiCap Low Mass Hammer
  • Replace trigger parts and have trigger job
  • Remove 80's safety parts
  • Dawson Precision 1911 HiCap Barrel Bushing Match, Stainless Steel
  • Ed Brown 1911 HiCap Wide Ambi Thumb Safety, Stainless Steel
  • Gun Craft Standard Serrated Steel Mag Release with Extended Button, Stainless Steel
  • Dawson Precision Ice Magwell, Silver with Black insert, Flat Mainspring Housing
  • Dawson extended basepads
  • ISMI Mag Springs
  • All new internal springs

looks like you have a pretty good list going. if you bought a the limited version the sights should be pretty good. Definitely go with the EGW extractor, its a direct replacement. I have had no problems with mine since it went in 3k ago. Dawson precsison has some good trigger kits with most of the parts you talked about. I'm a fan of the Wolff +10% springs, they dont seem to "kink" as much. Good luck

U have to file a radius into the inner catch the the mag follower touches so as that during shooting long loaded larder bullets don't inadvertently lock the slide open on u unless u plan to cut off the tab completely then it's no worries

• 3 weeks later...

Is the PXT extractor really that susceptible to failure? I had my reservations earlier but my P16-40 Todd Jarrett model, which features that large extractor has so far been working fine and I have had about 6k rounds through it with no problems.

Of course I dont want the experience the problem in a match and so just wanted to get your thoughts?

Is the PXT extractor really that susceptible to failure? I had my reservations earlier but my P16-40 Todd Jarrett model, which features that large extractor has so far been working fine and I have had about 6k rounds through it with no problems.

Of course I dont want the experience the problem in a match and so just wanted to get your thoughts?

mine also worked fine, I only sleeved it because I would have a better chance of finding a regular extractor vs the power one ,in case something went wrong at a match.

All you need to make the gun ready for competition is a good gunsmith who knows how to perform a trigger job, change the mainspring to 15lbs add a Dawson Ice Magwell with extended basepads and install and tune the Para/EGW extractor. Now you will have a great reliable gun with a 2.75 lb trigger that breaks like an icicle. I did add a Guncraft aluminium trigger cuz I hate plastic parts on my guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: You can look at the Dlask triggers for a Para. They actually fit the Para well but not a STI. The EGW extractor works perfectly. The PXT is not built well at least the last 4 I have seen. Soft steel and burrs on them. I would lighten the slide also. Thanks, Eric

I replaced the factory "innards" with a Dawson set (DK Hammer, C&S sear, disconnector & springs) and forget whose steel mag release. I also replaced the factory grips with a set of Pachmayr rubber. Otherwise the gun is stock. I determined that a magwell does not really improve my reload times and they are not the critical factor in limiting my shooting peformance.

Edited by TonyT

I second the Dlask trigger; I have one in my 1640TJ.

I see a lot of negative comments about the PXT, but I've had almost a dozen Paras and have never had an extractor failure of any kind. I have several thousand through this one without any issues.