Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trijicon acog or tr24

Mike21STI

If you're gonna run side irons for close stuff than go with the Acog. If you will never be competing beyond 300yrds then go with the TR24. For the money though, you can have the best of both worlds. The Meopta ZD offers day light bright illumination, similar glass, eye box, variable magnification, size and weight to a TR24, with an Acog similar BDC reticle. It's a solid and durable optic. I sold my TR24 to buy the new Meopta last fall. After a half dozen matches, I am absolutely certain I made the right choice.

I would rather have to dial a TR24 before a long range stange so I could shoot out to 500 and remember to hold low up close vs having to deal with more than 1x using the bindon point aiming concept up close with the ACOG. However both opics will work. What is your price range. For the cost of an ACOG you can afford a good 1-4 that has a bullet drop reticle.

Pat

I don't have much experience with optics, but I used an acog the other day and was amazed at the clarity. I probably won't be going out past 300 or 400 yards around here (stupid northeast). I guess I am not tied to either of those so more suggestions are definitely welcome. I like the idea of picking up the ambient light so I think that's what pushed me toward trijicon in the first place. I saw there is about a 300 price difference between the acog and the tr24(from the site I was looking at).

I don't have much experience with optics, but I used an acog the other day and was amazed at the clarity. I probably won't be going out past 300 or 400 yards around here (stupid northeast). I guess I am not tied to either of those so more suggestions are definitely welcome. I like the idea of picking up the ambient light so I think that's what pushed me toward trijicon in the first place. I saw there is about a 300 price difference between the acog and the tr24(from the site I was looking at).

If your not going past 400 I would say TR24 easy choice.

pat

i run an acog and shoot open. but like others said, it is not as common as years ago and there are a lot of choices to be made that would be better. try a Meopta or a Burris. i used to have a Tr24 and had a hard time hitting steel (8") at 350 to 400 yds due to the reticle design. i had a zero of 200 yds back then. the Acogs are clear and the BDC are pretty much dead on using heavies. but if it we me, i would look at the new burris, Meopta and Vortex scopes if i was willing to pay for a new Acog.

I'm looking at scopes for my AR and am not sure if I want to go with the 4x acog or the tr24. I will be using it for 3gun and I have the side mounted sight for the close stuff. What do you guys think?

Switching to the irons and back on the fly should be faster than switching to 1x and back to 4x because you won't have to take your hand off the rifle. That said I wouldn't go with the 4x. I'd go with a 3.5x (TA11) as it has better specs than the TR24 in two areas that affect performance.

• Exit pupil size. 5.1mm on the 4x setting of the TR24 to 10mm on the TA11, which means a bigger sweet spot.
  • Objective. 24mm on the TR24 to 35mm on the TA11, which means it will gather more light. Better on overcast days.

Iv been using an ACOG as my do it all optic for 6yrs. On a day to day basis I don't think you can beat it. Now for the sport of multi gun a great many better options exist.

What do you do with your ACOG. I like ACOGs but as a do all optic they are weak on the inside 25 yard stuff which is a great deal of my concern in real life. In the game we have a lot of hoser stages as well.

Pat

Iv been using an ACOG as my do it all optic for 6yrs. On a day to day basis I don't think you can beat it. Now for the sport of multi gun a great many better options exist.

What do you do with your ACOG. I like ACOGs but as a do all optic they are weak on the inside 25 yard stuff which is a great deal of my concern in real life. In the game we have a lot of hoser stages as well.

Pat

Agreed that the AGOG is weak inside 25yds. Especially on multi targets. The AGOG seems to have been developed for the American infantry. It boosts the capability of simple soldiers. No offence but thats what its really for. Target ident and ease of use have made it what it is. My personal opinion is the AGOG is the greatest invention for soldiers since the M-1 Garand. It is simply the most universal easy to use optic out there.

All the other optics out there can do the same thing but they have the "personal" touch that each of use must decide on. ACOG= univarsal optic not the best but a great average optic for the masses.

as much as I like Trijcons I would really suggest shooting a TR24 with the triangle reticle

some people love am and run them great

some people just don't like it and can't get used to it

I fall into the latter catagory, I just can't get used to it

Famous 'Other Forum' post on how to use the TR24 for 3 gun.

Summary: Out to 360 shouldn't be a huge problem with the TR24 triangle.

Full Disclaimer: I went with the TR24 on my rifle as a do all optic.

Did this because:

• Got a $795 deal on the scope and the GG&G FLT mount.
  • The offset BUIS just seemed like a bad idea for the Colt 6940.

PlanZ.jpg

If I had a rifle length hand guard on mid-length gas system, there would be plenty of room in front of my off hand for the BUIS.

Edited by PistoleroJesse