Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fell of the wagon

tracker

Friday afternoon at work I gave in to temptation, I had a BAAAAAAD case of craving for SUGAR. A co worker had a pop-tart in his toolbox, after whining a bit (me) he surrendered the goods. Like a dug addict I disaperad to a secluded spot in the shop and proceeded to mow down. And yes an hour or so later I felt crappy.

Usually I can resist the craving, I had no healthy snacks left and I avoid the vending machines like the plague. The interesting part is that our companies owner keeps fresh fruit stocked in the break room. Usually I will grab something from there, but I suppose just as someone who is hooked on drugs the thought of doing the right thing (going for the fruit)never even crossed my mind. It was a strong craving.

Has anyone had similar expieriences? How do you handle them?

Tracker,

I have found for me, it is almost impossible for me to go completely without sugar for any length of time. Past practice has me reacting the same as you and nearly a binge type reaction.

My solution has been to have a little sugar daily. I don't go overboard with it, just enough to satisfy the craving. It's kind of strange, I don't normally eat chocolate, but while I am doing a good job of avoiding sugar, it's the first thing I look for.

Good luck!

Paul

I have been working on a sudo diet for awhile and I can not cut out the sugar I have to have something small or I get cranky.

Only other suggestion I would offer is that if the co worker tries to hold out on you go dirty.

The cafateria where I work has packets of honey. I used to carry a couple for my blood sugar. Now I just keep a few handy when I want sweets

If one pop tart is falling off the wagon for you, I'd say you're doing pretty good!

Cutting down on other polysaccharides will help a lot with whatever your fitness goal are and will (eventually, after a few weeks) help mitigate cravings for other insulin spiking foods like sugars.

Falling off the wagon is not a bad thing, it happens all the time to everyone. It is OK to do that once a week, I know I do. So 1 candy bar or pop-tart a week is not going to kill you. It will only settle your nerves and the craving will be gone. And the only thing else you can do is continue on your plan and don't stop.

For me, I had to give up sugars entirely... including artificial sweeteners as well. Once you train your body (taste buds) to avoid all sweets, eventually you no longer crave them. For me, the artificial sweeteners was like drawing out the heroin addiction.

When I get the urge to cheat, I slam as much water as mu stomach can handle... sometimes it works... sometimes I slam that bite size snickers... haha. Fortunately, it has been a lot more water than snickers.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one! I have been doing well. The snack idea is a good one. I am usually fine with the snacks in the time before lunch it is in the afternoon. For a mid morning snack I usually have a few almonds and a bannana or some fruit. Afternoon usually just fruit........I will try the jerkey, I have learned that for myself I need to ONLY take the small portion for that one snack, if not I will EAT ALL OF IT!!!

One thing I also am working on is reducing dairy, I use a small bit of whole milk (1 cup a day max) and some plain yogurt with fresh fruit. That does not sound like too much does it? I dont like low fat versions of things, so I try to just reduce serving size instead. The same goes for sugar, I never use artifical sweetners or products containing them, but intsead I do not add sugar except 1 teaspoon a day for coffee and eat no sweets.

Realize that sugar tweaks similar areas of the brain that heroin, crack, coke, alcohol, pot, etc tweak - they all mess with your dopamine levels to some degree. So does sugar. So, the drug addict analogy is quite apt!

Snacks help a bunch. Another one that was suggested to me that seems to actually work quite well - keep some pickles around. When you get a massive sweet tooth, suck on a pickle spear for a little while (don't just plow the whole jar of pickles! surprise.gif ). That seems to help, too....

I'm down 30 lbs in 12 weeks. I'm really tired of chicken and vegetables. I've occasionally screwed up and eaten something sugary and processed and like you a felt like crap afterwards. After doing that a couple of times the memory of feeling physically ill comes back to me when I consider grabbing something sugary and I can easily pass on the bad urge.

I also don't think messing up a few times means you've failed or need some kind of a penance to be absolved. Don't let your mind take you into a dark place and you'll be able to roll with the setbacks without the self doubt. Good luck.

I'm down 30 lbs in 12 weeks. I'm really tired of chicken and vegetables. I've occasionally screwed up and eaten something sugary and processed and like you a felt like crap afterwards. After doing that a couple of times the memory of feeling physically ill comes back to me when I consider grabbing something sugary and I can easily pass on the bad urge.

I also don't think messing up a few times means you've failed or need some kind of a penance to be absolved. Don't let your mind take you into a dark place and you'll be able to roll with the setbacks without the self doubt. Good luck.

Look into paleo, you can lose eating a lot more than just chicken.

Look into paleo, you can lose eating a lot more than just chicken.

Starting Primal Monday, looking forward to it. Everything looks really good to me, and I'm tired of the whole eat 5-6 meals a day type gig my trainer has me on. So, after talking about it, I'll hold off on the competitions and focus on weight loss now, and just look to maintain my strength. Heck if I could drop a weight class, and keep 99% of my strength up, I'll be doing pretty dang good.