Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload techniques for Mossberg 930 JM?

I just put the order in for a 10 shot JM 930 as my entry into 3-gun, tactical optics. I've got no means of carrying shells yet and haven't practiced any rapid reloads. I would like to get what is going to be the best and most versatile option for me off the bat and spend the time practicing rather than trying out all the different systems. I'm very intrigued by the Carbon Arms FSL 12 and the TWinS SSL vest. Can anyone comment on how feasible this load 2 technique is specifically with the Mossberg 930 JM?

I've got the carbon arms setup. It's awesome. Nothing better on the market I've seen. My first sets of reloads was 15% faster than weak hand. It only got better with practice. It will work fine with the mossberg. I'm using it with my SLP.

Where are you coming up with the JM 930? I have a buddy that wants one.

I've got the carbon arms setup. It's awesome. Nothing better on the market I've seen. My first sets of reloads was 15% faster than weak hand. It only got better with practice. It will work fine with the mossberg. I'm using it with my SLP.

Where are you coming up with the JM 930? I have a buddy that wants one.

Thanks for the reassurance! Anyone else play with a 930 and this technique?

I found my 10 JM 930 on grabagun.com. I've been stalking their website for over a week, just reloading the page twice a day until they came in. It listed 2 available this morning, and they're gone already. Seems to take 1-2 weeks for another to pop back up. The 9 shot sat on their page for 3 days before it sold out. The price was $560 shipped, compared to another place I called asking $650.

Getting the forearm low and smooth is highly beneficial for the TWinS loading technique. The fingers need to slide over the forearm as the thumb is pushing the shells into the tube. The fingers are integral to keeping the shells against the lifter and if they bump up hitting the forearm, you may have some bobbles.

Looking at the photos of the forearm on the JMs, you will probably need to remove about 1/2" and taper it back with a gradual slope away from the loading port. It might be beneficial to remove a little material off the receiver at the front of the loading port as well. I'll try to get my hands on one this week and look at it closer.

+1 to the TWinS loading system. I just started playing with this technique last week and YIKES is it fast!

Kalani

Did you get enough time with em to use the twins in FL?

No, I did not use it in FL. I played with it for maybe ten minutes and was getting sub 7 sec load 8s. Unfortunately, due to huge time constraints of back to back matches, I wasn't able to take them to the practice field and test loading on the move.

I'll tell you what, though, I got to watch James and Patrick lay the smack down with the TWinS system and it was impressive.

Kalani

If you know anyone with a table belt sander, you can use the curve to put a perfect recess in the forearm.

Can you post a picture of what it should look like before and after? This sounds like it shouldn't be that difficulty, but I don't want to mess it up as soon as I get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My first match was last Saturday and I am using a 930JM 8+1, FSL12s (2), and a TWinS on a Safariland ELS belt. Stage 3a was an all shotgun stage and there was a bonus of 30 seconds if the swinger would flip all the way over. Other targets were a knockdown that kicked up a clay, 3 more knockdowns, about 6 round knockdown discs on poles. I was loading from the FSL12 offhand and was able to get 8 shells loaded PDQ after swinging the swinger and shooting the big knockdowns. My stage time was 4 seconds (with bonus) and finished 3rd out of 32 shooters so I am happy with the load 2 technique. Also note I am a total newb as two other stages had Texas Stars and I shot them from bottom up. I have been cowboy shooting for 8 years and know how to do the Star so I chalk them up to first match nerves. Couple of other experienced shooters on my posse were real impressed with the FSL12s.

I wil be tapering the foreend and plan to grind some of the metal at the mag tube since the shell catch is pretty far in the tube. Hope to get it done next week.

Used load two sat for first time in a match with minimal practice. Worked great when I remembered to flip the gun! Otherwise you are stuck with shells facing the wrong way for loading. That is not fun!

If you know anyone with a table belt sander, you can use the curve to put a perfect recess in the forearm.

Can you post a picture of what it should look like before and after? This sounds like it shouldn't be that difficulty, but I don't want to mess it up as soon as I get it.

Any new info or pics on "blending" the forearm on the 930s?

Pic please. Don't want to just start grinding away.

Guys, this ain't rocket science. Try your chosen reload technique with your stock gun and see what part of the forearm interferes with your technique and remove same. Take your time and tune it for your hand and technique, not from some picture you saw on the internet. Go slowly and you will be fine.

Later,

Chuck

PS: And not to be a smart ass or anything but it is kind of poor form to ask a guy who makes a living building and modifying guns to post pictures of his work so you can copy it for free. JMHO.

Guys, this ain't rocket science. Try your chosen reload technique with your stock gun and see what part of the forearm interferes with your technique and remove same. Take your time and tune it for your hand and technique, not from some picture you saw on the internet. Go slowly and you will be fine.

Later,

Chuck

PS: And not to be a smart ass or anything but it is kind of poor form to ask a guy who makes a living building and modifying guns to post pictures of his work so you can copy it for free. JMHO.

Not to be a smart ass or anything either, but not everyone on this forum is identified by their occupations so not everyone knows who is a professional gunsmith and who just slept at the Holiday Inn Express. So it is kind of poor form to knock people living on the other side of the country for not knowing who your local gun plumber is. JMHO.

Later,

Chuck

Not to be a smart ass or anything either, but not everyone on this forum is identified by their occupations so not everyone knows who is a professional gunsmith and who just slept at the Holiday Inn Express. So it is kind of poor form to knock people living on the other side of the country for not knowing who your local gun plumber is. JMHO.

Exactly.

Sorry, I mis-worded that in response to post #5. There was no request for pictures. An I now understand what you are saying. Please understand that I was referring to folks asking guys like Benny for details about what they get paid for. Me, I am not even a gun plumber apprentice! :roflol: (But the forearm is real easy... ;) )

Edited by ChuckS

Later,

Chuck

Good (and true) advice. I've seen more than one shotgun loading port "opened" up wrong because they followed the mantra of just grind everything away that you can. It depends on the gun, the lifter and how you load. One size does NOT fit all. If you go with moderate mods to start, you can start to feel what is helping and what is not, then take a little more off if it is actually helping. For the best speed, there should be a little angle as well, more material off the sides of the receiver towards the tube than towards the trigger. No slope results in less benefit.

I'm not a gunsmith, don't own a 930JM, have only shot four 3-Gun matches (one using the load two technique) and to the best of my knowledge have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. With all that disclosure out of the way, I just lightly relieved (sloped, rounded) the bottom side of my Remington CMs mag tube opening. First with an abrasive stone in the Dremal and then polished out with a Cratex wheel. I did not do much at all, really just cleaned off the sharp edges and smoothed things out. I am not comfortable hacking any more metal off my gun and don’t see how it would noticeably improve my loading at my current skill level. What little smoothing I did helped a lot though.