Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Tracker-style Tactical Sports

pivoproseem

• 1 year later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread to show off a few ideas I've got kicking around for my TS. It seems the easiest way to get the sight tracker effect is with a blank comp to hold the front sight like the "Limited" configuration of the Czechmate:

48c40d62285cc840d11b4ade5a484b4b.png

CZ cut back the slide to attach the comp without using a longer barrel; I stole this idea for my Open TS, using a standard length slide with a TS length barrel:

IMG_20131011_044141_094_zps866a455a.jpg

Through a few purchases, sales and trades, I ended up with a standard length .40 slide I plan to use for my "sight tracker"; here are some photoshop mock ups:

fullDC_zpsb2dfee26.jpg

In this one, I use a longer comp to extend the sight radius by about a quarter inch and the muzzle sits back inside by that much:

Longsight_zpsf72e89cc.jpg

I think this one is my favorite though, I cut about a quarter inch off the dust cover, chopped it at an 18 degree angle (the grip angle as I measure it) and also cut back the long comp at the same angle:

cutDC_zpsf0ce5711.jpg

Inspired by the Jericho:

1287735603.jpg

I think this one is my favorite though, I cut about a quarter inch off the dust cover, chopped it at an 18 degree angle (the grip angle as I measure it) and also cut back the long comp at the same angle:

cutDC_zpsf0ce5711.jpg

I think that looks really sweet! Lets see you make it happen :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I tried 17 degrees but since it was a dremel cleaned up with a flat file it may not be exact.

I also kept the angle going just beyond the horizontal line to where I was just on the edge of the last 7 in my serial number.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-5345-0-17958500-1390103625.jpg

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-5345-0-18947000-1390334774.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread to show off a few ideas I've got kicking around for my TS. It seems the easiest way to get the sight tracker effect is with a blank comp to hold the front sight like the "Limited" configuration of the Czechmate:

48c40d62285cc840d11b4ade5a484b4b.png

That's a great looking gun!

Is it a real gun or a Photoshop?

I've never handled a CM (hoping to this summer :D ), but I know they have deeper cuts under the trigger guard/beaver tail and I hear they have sharper checkering. It was a lot of work to turn my TS into an Open gun and a lot more before it's a pretty as a CM, so if you were going to pay someone to do it, you might not come out ahead, but the CM is a lot of dough :surprise: especially when you consider base pads/guts for the mags and changing the optic mount (if you so choose). Oh and if you change the mount you need a longer racker to run it on the left side.

I ha lready done the Checkering and modifications to the beaver tail and trigger guard (although I might take the trigger guard a bit higher. Just trying to find out how the extra. I think the TS is a lot of gun for the money but I don't get + $1,800 for it

I am not understanding the additional cost.

Here's my impression of the major differences, and if difference in MSRP is $2k, quick back of napkin there is about $1k of parts and $1k 'performance shop/custom' labor to build it. So the "is it worth it equation?" is different for someone like me who is NOT a gunsmith and would have to pay to have any of this done, vs you guys who do the labor and maybe even figure out how to do parts cheaper.

###

TS 9mm VS CM 9mm

Starting with Tactical Sport 9MM with 3 140 MM mags $1300, difference that I can tell vs Czechmate $3300 (MSRP - prices rounded):

Frame

- Grip Reduction

- Shortened dustcover

- (checkering feels the same, but starts lower under beavertail on CM)

- Drilled/tapped for optics mount

Slide

- Machined / slightly lower that TS slide height (mating slide surface to frame / accurizing?)

- Smooth top rather than fore to aft top serrations

- Bearing surface in front of slide is different / hollowed out to mate to cone on both Sight tracker / Compensator

- Captured spring/guide-rod that indexes sight tracker / compensator

Parts

Compensator (for Open) ($245)

Sight Tracker front (for Limited)

Extra fitted threaded barrel ($145 )

CZ-UB Magwell ($85)

Aluminum Grips ($85)

Competition Hammer ($70)

Slide Racker (used in place of solid sight in ‘open’ configuration) ($36)

C-More Sight mount ($90)

C-More Red Dot ($210)

170 MM Magazine ($130)

###

• 1 month later...

That's really cool! Is the front part just a cut off piece of a slide or is it an un-machined comp? How is the lock up? Is the bushing still in the moving part of the slide and the short piece threaded onto the barrel?

I welded up the port on this little one port comp:

1291720.jpg

and cut a front sight into it. The slide is from a standard length 75B SA so the bushing is still in place and the lockup is perfect.

I have a longer blank comp I might try if this one doesn't feel too nose heavy when I shoot it today (although I've been shooting this pistol in Open trim for the past year with a three port comp, so it feels light now!).

So I just got back from the range and I realized I haven't shot major without a comp in more than a year! I caught myself saying "geeze, this thing really flips a lot" but in the car on the way home I realized I was shooting 180pf factory ammo with no comp in a lighter gun than I'm used to (crazy to think of a TS with a steel weight on the end as light :eatdrink: ).

My buddy has a stock TS in .40 so I think the next step it to go shoot with him and swap top ends (maybe load up some better ammo too).

If I decide this is a direction worth going I'm going to get a top end all ready to go and send it off to one of the big name 'smiths to lighten the slide.