Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Reverse Plug

Bassman

I need some help my open gun in 9mm major has broken 2 reverse plugs. I have never had this problem with any other guns. Any ideas of a fix or what might be causing it would be greatly appreciated.

Where are they breaking? Are they coil binding? Full size gun / recoil system or a shorty / mid length? :cheers:

They are breaking where the top side of the plug meets the barrel, right down the the slide on both sides of the plug,about an inch long. I don't think they are coil binding. It is a fullsized gun.

Pics would be helpful. The gun too, not just the reverse plug. Are you running a shock buff? What pound spring? Is the reverse plug nice and snug or was it loose. In addition, take pics of the guide rod at the rear. Is it smacking the barrel feet or link? There are a couple different things that could cause this. Most likely culprit would be the spring is binding up and in the future a few coils may need to be cut off.

Pics would be helpful. The gun too, not just the reverse plug. Are you running a shock buff? What pound spring? Is the reverse plug nice and snug or was it loose. In addition, take pics of the guide rod at the rear. Is it smacking the barrel feet or link? There are a couple different things that could cause this. Most likely culprit would be the spring is binding up and in the future a few coils may need to be cut off.

I am running a shock buff. A 9lb recoil spring with a couple of coils cut off so the slide stop would engage. I would say the reverse plug is loose. I will try to attach some pics. I guess I don't understand what is meant by the spring binding up?

Spring bind=coil bind.

Happens when all coils of a spring are touching each other when fully compressed.

Happens sometimes when you use a new spring that is too long.

The shock buff would be one item to remove since those those things cause more problems than fixing any.

The plug needs to be fitted correctly to the slide and the slide needs to be prepped correctly.

I'm just guessing here but I think the radius near the OD of the plug and flange is not mating up correctly to the slide.

Won't be able to diagnose properly without pics of the plug and slide.

Last I checked, caspian won't warranty slides that utilize a flanged plug...

I had a gun once that the reverse plug was to long. When in battery, the plug touched the comp, which pushed the plug back into the gun.

It wasn't much but just enough. It shortened it and everything was good.This gave me fits until I figured it out.

Just a thought.

Pictures are worth a thousand words....

The plug should be shorter than the slide when installed. The slide should be impacting the guide rod head/buffer. Not the plug.

The front of the plug looks to be about right but I would trim it down so there is no worries about the plug hitting the comp.

When you compress the guide rod/spring/plug/shock buff combo, does the plug contact the shock buff?

Without the shock buff does the plug contact the guide rod head?

Edited by yoshidaex

Pictures are worth a thousand words....

The plug should be shorter than the slide when installed. The slide should be impacting the guide rod head/buffer. Not the plug.

The front of the plug looks to be about right but I would trim it down so there is no worries about the plug hitting the comp.

When you compress the guide rod/spring/plug/shock buff combo, does the plug contact the shock buff?

Without the shock buff does the plug contact the guide rod head?

Yes to both.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a zombie post but here goes. I'm replacing my current fitted Night Hawk custom reverse plug in my 38 SC open gun with a CK Arms stainless steel reverse plug. I inserted the CK Arms plug and it's too long, extending past the front of the slide and touching the compensator.

What tool can be used to file down the front of the reverse plug so it's below the surface of the slide's spring plug tunnel? Thanks in advance.

Hello: I use a lathe to shorten the reverse plug. You can use a bench grinder also. If you rotate the plug as you are grinding it down it will make it pretty square. Your fingers are the lathe in this case. Get rid of the shock buff also. Thanks, Eric

Hi Guys, I appreciate your quick and informative responses. I have another question. After grinding the front of the reverse plug, what tool or material do I use to polish the front by the end of the guide rod so it looks factory new like it was never worked on in the first place? Thanks in advance.

I shorten small parts (mostly screws) with them chucked in the cordless drill. This makes for a portable lathe that you can then take to the grinder, buffer, sandpaper, etc. You can also chuck it in a drill press and use a file and sandpaper. This makes it easy to keep the end square and takes all the work out of doing it by hand. I have a big lathe for larger sizes.

Edited by Toolguy