Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xdm limited

Ricky316

I never noticed a huge difference when I went to a CC limited XDM from a Edge. The Canyon Creek limited has a tungsten guide rod and large stainless magwell for additional weight. Also the slide is modified for better balance. I like mine.

Edited by Marv Z

Yesterday I fired my brand new Springfield XDM 5.25 in .40 caliber, and I was surprised by the level of recoil I had. I regularly shoot a Kimber .45 using 230 grain bullets, and I also shot that yesterday to compare the two. The .45 has much less recoil then the .40. I wish now I would have purchased either a 9MM or the .45 XDM, the .40 offers zero improvement in recovering between shots, and I would say it will not be used for any matches other then a back up.

Very disappointed.

Yesterday I fired my brand new Springfield XDM 5.25 in .40 caliber, and I was surprised by the level of recoil I had. I regularly shoot a Kimber .45 using 230 grain bullets, and I also shot that yesterday to compare the two. The .45 has much less recoil then the .40. I wish now I would have purchased either a 9MM or the .45 XDM, the .40 offers zero improvement in recovering between shots, and I would say it will not be used for any matches other then a back up.

Very disappointed.

I experienced the exact same thing when shooting my 4.5" XDM .40. The recoil seems stronger because it's more of a snap motion, while the 1911 w/230 ball handloads feels like a more gentle push.

I've loaded some 170gr SWC handloads that I will be testing this week. I'll let you know if the felt recoil changes any.

Very disappointed.

Do you have other 40's to compare it to?

I agree with the last poster that 40's have more of snap vs the push of a 45 (I don't really call it "gentle", but hey ;) ).

I also have a Kimber .45, and compared to 40's that I shoot side-by-side, the Kimber always seems like it recoils less, but it's really just a different type of recoil. And some people like that. Some people prefer the snap over the push.

Very disappointed.

Do you have other 40's to compare it to?

I agree with the last poster that 40's have more of snap vs the push of a 45 (I don't really call it "gentle", but hey ;) ).

I also have a Kimber .45, and compared to 40's that I shoot side-by-side, the Kimber always seems like it recoils less, but it's really just a different type of recoil. And some people like that. Some people prefer the snap over the push.

Haha yeah my .45 push is gentle because of the light handloads I shoot. Factory ammo is certainly not gentle at all!

I do have a different .40, it is a S&W 410 or a 4064, can't remember the exact model, but it has far less recoil. I totally agree the feeling is a snap instead of the Kimbers harder but seemingly slower .45 recoil.

Without a doubt I will stay with the Kimber. Another aspect of the XDM I was disappointed with is the crappy rear sight, my goodness did they strip those off of some surplus Hi Points?

Well, I received my XDM 5.25 40 cal set up for limited from Canyon Creek yesterday and went to the range today. After reading some comments, I was concerned about the recoil difference between my 5.25 9mm, and the 5.25 40 cal. shooting 180 gr major. I was pleasantly surprised at how it shot, it was more recoil than my 9mm, but not bad. Welcome to Limited Class.

I would perform some of the recoil reduction modifications, but adding a higher weight guide rod is prohibited in Limited 10 USPSA, which is where I compete. I stay out of production and open class. Also, in my side IDPA matches that is an illegal modification. Perhaps some springs changes would help, but the Kimber keeps hammering away and doing quite well. Not worth the effort right now.

I would perform some of the recoil reduction modifications, but adding a higher weight guide rod is prohibited in Limited 10 USPSA, which is where I compete.

The rules specifically call out allowing the guide rod to be changed. You just cannot add external weight to the gun to reduce recoil. A guide rod is an internal component.

I would perform some of the recoil reduction modifications, but adding a higher weight guide rod is prohibited in Limited 10 USPSA, which is where I compete.

The rules specifically call out allowing the guide rod to be changed. You just cannot add external weight to the gun to reduce recoil. A guide rod is an internal component.

^This! Guide rods are allowed in every division, even in production, with the careful exception in production only that you must stay within two ounces of the factory-posted weight.

All other divisions have no weight restriction.

I’m on the other end of the spectrum with my 5.25 XDm .40 running poofter loads in Production. My load is a 180 grain Missouri TCL over 3.5 grains of Titegroup. Very accurate, cycles fine, and it does not hurt my splits as I can’t outrun the gun anyway. I like this load for NRA Action Pistol too as the brass all drops in one neat pile right next to me! I am not very sensitive to handgun recoil and have not noticed much even when shooting full house factory ammo out of the XDm platform. Admittedly, I have not shot much full power .40 through my 5.25 but I have shot 1000s through my 3.8 and did not think much of it.

mont1120, try concentrating on trigger control and your front sight thru that cheap ass rear sight and it might take your mind off the tremendously devastating recoil impulse of a 40s&w round launched from an XDM.