Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Commands / RO communications

justaute

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In many of the Alabama Sectional videos, I noticed several ROs often said "shooter ready...stand by." My understanding of the rule is the usage of "are you ready...stand by." Are there exceptions?

No there are not... but many of the ROs that worked that match may or may not have been USPSA certified - old school, or IDPA certified. Some were newer and just not used to doing it the "right way".

I heard a lot of it too, including "slide forward."

Only thing that bugged me was the girl who apparently thought "are you ready" was a question and waited for me to nod.

Edited by spanky

Getting the range commands right is not that difficult. RO's should make an effort. When I RM I stress it to the staff to get them right. If you are going to spend the weekend working a major match put your best effort forward.

On the other side of the coin I try not to get my panties in a bunch over that stuff. :devil:

I heard a lot of it too, including "slide forward."

Only thing that bugged me was the girl who apparently thought "are you ready" was a question and waited for me to nod.

You should have done what Jay Worden does to make it memorable during his RO classes: he starts shuffling forward doing "the slide". :lol: It's a great reminder for RO's going through the class that the correct phrase is "hammer down".

As for waiting for the nod, I was given the impression that in the IDPA SO training program, SO's are taught to look for some kind of acknowledgement of the "Shooter Ready." command. So I think that Ken's guess in post #2 that the RO's were IDPA certified may have some merit.

As for waiting for the nod, I was given the impression that in the IDPA SO training program, SO's are taught to look for some kind of acknowledgement of the "Shooter Ready." command. So I think that Ken's guess in post #2 that the RO's were IDPA certified may have some merit.

Yeah but its not a IDPA match. People have routines and if a RO doesn't follow the commands right that can/will mess that up. Like spanky, I barely give a nod, if your not watching you'll miss it but I expect the next command to be stand by not "give me a nod".

On the flip side we had a good group of Army Rangers on our squad friday and those guys did most of the work and I THANK THEM for that :cheers: . You can watch my video and those guys didn't know the words verbatim but I never had a issue.

I can almost overlook the commands not being exactly correct. But when the RO yells at the top of their lungs "ARE YOU READY!!!" , I want to turn around and tell them that I heard "make ready" at a normal level, I didn't go deaf in the last 15 seconds.

We had an argument about this recently at an IDPA match. The guy on the side of waiting for an acknowledgement was an IDPA SOI.

Getting the range commands right is not that difficult. RO's should make an effort. When I RM I stress it to the staff to get them right. If you are going to spend the weekend working a major match put your best effort forward.

On the other side of the coin I try not to get my panties in a bunch over that stuff. :devil:

+1 on both counts. I grit my teeth a little when the "old school" ROs at our club throw in "Do you understand the course of fire" and "you may tale a loaded sight picture", but I've decided it's better to lead by example, at least on this issue.

Edited by bbbean

I'm kind of irritated by it as well. The standard range commands are part of my pre run ritual. When I hear "gas it up" and "shooter indicates ready" it's a little distracting. Not a big deal, but not too difficult to get right either.

Another issue with nonstandard range commands is for foreign competitors who might not understand the command and get DQ'ed because of it. I've seen it happen.

In many of the Alabama Sectional videos, I noticed several ROs often said "shooter ready...stand by." My understanding of the rule is the usage of "are you ready...stand by." Are there exceptions?

No there are not... but many of the ROs that worked that match may or may not have been USPSA certified - old school, or IDPA certified. Some were newer and just not used to doing it the "right way".

On one of my stages, I waited till our squad was finished and pulled the RO off to the side to tell him nicely, that he was using the wrong commands. I called it "constructive criticism" just to make him feel better. He thanked me for helping remind him of the correct range commands, and even admitted he felt like a idiot when he looked down at the timer, still in his hand, and read the little white sticker on the side of it that had all the correct range commands, including ..... "Are You Ready?" LOL :)

I also saw an instance of a shooter who thought he heard the RO say "Make Ready" so he took his gun out of the holster ...... when in fact the RO had, at that point, only said "Range Is Going Hot". The initial reaction was to DQ the shooter, but after some mild protest, he was reinstated because "Range Going Hot" is NOT A VALID RANGE COMMAND.

This is another example why it's important to stick to the OFFICIAL Range Commands, and NOTHING BUT. No questions about "Do you understand the COF," or Taking an Unloaded Sight Picture, etc. should EVER BE USED.

Edited by Chris Keen

I grit my teeth a little when the "old school" ROs at our club throw in "Do you understand the course of fire" and "you may tale a loaded sight picture", but I've decided it's better to lead by example, at least on this issue.

Funny ... I've been at this for almost 20 years now. That should make me part of the "old school."

I don't ever remember, nor can I find in my old rule books "Do you understand the course of fire" and "you may tale a loaded sight picture" as ever having been official range commands. I think this less "old school" and more folks learning from bad examples in the first place.

Being an IDPA SO is not an excuse for improper range commands. If they are performing range officer duties in a USPSA match, then they should use the USPSA commands.

One gent on our squad received a DQ...the range was clear, RO was on his shoulder facing the shooter and stated "Range going hot"...the shooter put a mag in his gun and the RO asked why he was doing that without "make ready". The shooter thought improper range command was the nod to load up. RM was called and dismissed the DQ since RO was in gun monitoring position and gave an improper command to the shooter. If RO was turned around and stated "range going hot" to the peanut gallery, then the DQ would have been warranted.

It's imperative that the proper range commands be used.

I'm kind of irritated by it as well. The standard range commands are part of my pre run ritual. When I hear "gas it up" and "shooter indicates ready" it's a little distracting. Not a big deal, but not too difficult to get right either.

Another issue with nonstandard range commands is for foreign competitors who might not understand the command and get DQ'ed because of it. I've seen it happen.

Stoke it, Stroke it, Flick it, Stick it!

I know this has been done a few times.....it has kind of become a running joke: After hearing the wrong commands being used by a RO, the RM pinned the commands on the front of his shirt, for "future reference." I know we did this more as a joke at a club match by being a little over-dramatic with one RO, I think by making him carry the rule book or something. :blink:

And for those of you that have been playing this game for a long time, maybe you can relate to this. There are times when I use the old commands from many years ago. Probably my biggest goof is that I will say "slide forward" at times. I guess when you grow up saying it, it is hard to remove it from memory/habits.

But as many have said, when the range commands are totally butchered, that does bother me some. Primarily because we all take our hearing sensitivity up a few notches at various points of the commands so that we can react at the start of the buzzer. So if that timing is goofed up, it can mess up the shooter big time.

One point that I do want to add.....the questions and comments BEFORE "Make Ready," the RO can say whatever he wants. If the RO wants to precede with "Do you understand the course of fire," that is in their prerogative. But once they say "Make Ready," game over for leeway.

Range Commands??? I typically start the stage by looking at the RO and asking HIM/HER "ARE YOU READY".... :roflol:

No there are not "exceptions" to the commands and I do travel and shoot a couple matches in several different states, guess what, I hear the same thing at those matches also. We have volunteers helping run these matches which I appreciate their efforts....I hear the commands and know when too proceede and when to stop....not that difficult. Depending on where you live it is difficult to find 25-30 certified NROI RO's....that is more than the typical turn out for most of the matches in our area so you have to pull/take those that volunteer....Shooters are a fickle bunch as it seems every time after a "Major" match there are almost more criticism of the match than THANKS to those who put them on....maybe some things are better addressed to the match directors than aired out in a public forum.

Edited by DrawandDuck

I also saw an instance of a shooter who thought he heard the RO say "Make Ready" so he took his gun out of the holster ...... when in fact the RO had, at that point, only said "Range Is Going Hot". The initial reaction was to DQ the shooter, but after some mild protest, he was reinstated because "Range Going Hot" is NOT A VALID RANGE COMMAND.

I remind new shooters at every shooters meeting "If you're not 100% sure you're doing the right thing, ASK!." If I'm not 100% sure the RO said Make ready, I turn and ask. It's cheap insurance.

That doesn't excuse someone using non-standard commands, but there is still a burden on the shooter to be sure he's doing what he's supposed to be doing.

BB

Range Commands??? I typically start the stage by looking at the RO and asking HIM/HER "ARE YOU READY".... :roflol:

No there are not "exceptions" to the commands and I do travel and shoot a couple matches in several different states, guess what, I hear the same thing at those matches also. We have volunteers helping run these matches which I appreciate their efforts....I hear the commands and know when too proceede and when to stop....not that difficult. Depending on where you live it is difficult to find 25-30 certified NROI RO's....that is more than the typical turn out for most of the matches in our area so you have to pull/take those that volunteer....Shooters are a fickle bunch as it seems every time after a "Major" match there are almost more criticism of the match than THANKS to those who put them on....maybe some things are better addressed to the match directors than aired out in a public forum.

HUGE +1

Must be just me, but all I typically listen for is "Make Ready", the buzzer and "Stop" if something goes wrong.

I for one had no problems with the RO staff and appreciate their efforts so I could have a fun time shooting with my buddies.

At a USPSA level II match, I ran into the non-standard language. I thought I would have some fun.

"Do you understand the course of fire?"

Nope, I thought I would try a practice run first to figure it out then do it again. Thanks for asking though.

"you...you can't do that..."

"why not?"

"only 1 run per shooter."

"Then why did you ask me?" pat on the arm. "Just kidding. But you should not ask questions you don't want an answer to. You are not using the standard range commands for USPSA and it confused me. Come on, let's go."

+2

[...] There are times when I use the old commands from many years ago. Probably my biggest goof is that I will say "slide forward" at times. I guess when you grow up saying it, it is hard to remove it from memory/habits.

[...]

Once again, and this time I looked it up in the oldest rule book in my collection (1995) ... "slide forward" has not been an official range command since I joined USPSA, and I suspect not before then.

This is a case of something which has crept into the lexicon over time but was NEVER part of the official commands. I'm all for passing out reminder cards with the commands printed on them ... Tape them to the timers ... Tatoo them on your forearm ... Heck, maybe I should get a shirt made with the proper commands listed on the back so the RO can read them to me! :ph34r:

This is kinda the point i was trying to get to in the response I made. I KNOW the USPSA range commands aren't hard - I use them pretty much daily. (Even with my kids - a good health STOP! will get their attention). All you can do is CROs work with the newer RO's - mentor and fix it, without berating those that are messing up the commands.

I don't condone it - and I point it out where I need and we move on... as we all should.

Possible thread hijack or misdirection here, but why is it that you do not have to respond in the affirmative to the question ,"are you ready." When I bring new shooters, I always tell them that no response is necessary, but a simple head nod is the courteous thing to do. There are those shooters who like to do all kinds of crazy things in their make ready routine and I have been told more then once that they are not ready, once they have assumed the starting position. It just seems like you aren't asking too much for a simple head nod.