Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best affordable holsters for USPSA Production division or IDPA ESP (Sp

ChrisG164

I like the Kydex material but am not sure what my options are for the best and quickest draw for my 5" barrel Tactical 9mm XD. .....Opinions? Pictures would be great as well.

Edited by ChrisG164

If you leave the outer cant standard, it's legal. If you start adding spacers and canting it out more, you could run into legality issues, depending on how it rides on your build.

I got mine from Spring Precision for $70

Edited by ErichF

You guys like it more than the Stingray? I think I like the look of the stingray more as far as perceived comfort and draw goes..

Also.. Here's the DOH for $55 at midway usa.. sorry too few posts for me to post a link yet.

Edited by ChrisG164

You won't be able to beat the Midway price but Shooter's connection also has them. You will get a discount if you log in with them as a forum member. Shooter's Connection also sponsors many many matches and stages of major matches.

I would buy from them based on that alone.

My apologies, I made a mistake confusing the stingray with the DOH. I completely agree by looking at the DOH that it's probably the best choice for me at this point. Thanks to everyone for helping me to make the decision to go with Blade Tech !

Skip the Bladetech DOH. I know a lot of people like it, but I think it's subpar compared to a belt holster. I like the CompTac belt holsters.

The DOH setup puts the pistol grip at the same height as your belt. When you draw, your thumb has to fit between the pistol grip and belt to get a firing grip. When you run a belt holster, the pistol grip is above the belt line and this gives you better access to the grip.

The DOH is in a weird position for sitting starts. I've had the DOH get tangled in lawn chairs. The belt holster keeps the same position for starts with a bent waist, like sitting.

The DOH isn't legal for IDPA. Yes, you can disassemble the DOH and reassemble it as a belt holster. Then you're learning to draw from 2 different positions as you switch between sports. Also, the frustration level of dealing with the perpetually spinning backing nuts on the DOH is a pain in the butt when they have to be disassembled. Should you ever disassemble the CompTac screws, you'll see how much nicer their non-spinning hardware is (and they use resettable loc-tite on their screws to make it less likely for the screws to accidentally back out).

CompTac shipping time is usually 3-4 days. Bladetech (assuming you can't find one in stock from a dealer) is a month.

I do use Bladetech mag pouches. I have 3 singles and a double pouch. When I shoot IDPA, I simply move the holster and the double pouch to a IDPA legal belt, it takes about a minute.

I hope that helps, I ran DOHs for 5 years. The switch to a belt holster was a huge improvement.

You won't be able to beat the Midway price but Shooter's connection also has them. You will get a discount if you log in with them as a forum member. Shooter's Connection also sponsors many many matches and stages of major matches.

I would buy from them based on that alone.

+1 for Shooter's Connection. It took them <26hr. from time of order til it was in my hands. You couldn't ask for better service.

I use Comp-Tac belt holsters for ESP/SSP/CDP and Single stack and production. They work great and keeps everything consistent. I have a bladetech DOH which I don't care for. Taking the DOH part off is a pain in the A** and it's just not nearly as well built. If USPSA was all I was ever going to shoot, I would probably try a ready tactical DOH.

Both Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac holsters work great for USPSA and IDPA. I have both and they are equal in quality. However, I like Comp-Tac's mag pouches a lot more than Blade Tech. So, I tend to go Comp-Tac for any rigs I am using for both USPSA and IDPA (Single Stack/CDP, Production/SSP/ESP) so my gear matches :)

I don't think you will find any difference in draw speed between the two brands when you are setting up to be IDPA legal.

• 2 weeks later...

For both USPSA and IDPA go with an uncle mikes paddle holster. Its 20 bucks and works great.

I have Blade tech and comp tech holsters but find myself using the Uncle Mikes the most.

Sure you can change the attachment on a Blade Tech but your better off leaving the gun in the same position to keep the draw stroke the same.