Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most accurate OAL for G17?

Red Ryder

Hmm, good question. I'm curious to hear the answer myself.

Most of the reloaders I know own/shoot multiple pistols in the same caliber. The goal is usually to find an OAL that all their guns can chew up and spit out consistently.

Mind if I ask, are you working on a load for competition shooting?

Yep. Comp shooter. USPSA. I switched from a XDM 9mm to a G17 RTF2 cause I like the feel of the G17 RTF2 better. My load for the XDM is 4.2 grains of N320 or 4.6 grains of IMR SR 7625 with AOL of 1.150. Works great for the XDM (with a stock spring). I was wondering if folks had good luck with 1.150 AOL in a G17 also. They run fine in the G17 as long as I use a 14-15 lb sping. Stock G17 spring makes it a jam-o-matic with these 2 loads. Power Factor is 130 to 132 in both guns.

"1.13578 is a good one."

I'm thinking mebbe DWFAN is pulling your leg just a bit :D

I kinda doubt there's one "best" OAL that works across the board for any given caliber or model gun. The most I've heard is that longer OAL's might be more consistent in terms of leade engagement and theoretically that might have better accuracy. I'd say that, in our game, though, using a stock gun and barrel, it won't make any practical difference.

Mostly folks load OAL's for the best function, and my personal experience is that OFM Glock barrels will swallow just about any 9mm round that meets the SAAMI specs. :cheers:

With Titegroup & MG 124gr bullets I found out (after some experimentation) that my G34 and G17 produce the best accuracy at an OAL of 1.130" to 1.135".

I was wondering if there was much of an accuracy difference between the 1.135 and the 1.150 AOL?

Truth be told, you will notice a slight difference in accuracy but it might not be enough to matter all that much in this game. By the same token, N320 (or any of the "fast" powders) will not produce the best possible accuracy. If you want to shoot tight groups, you may want to consider using a slower powder.

WSF is a good compromise! Very accurate powder with a just slightly more recoil impulse than TG or N320.

Edited by Cy Soto

Most accurate load I have tested so far in my G17 was 5.6gr of power pistol with mg 124jhp at 1.120". A 10 shot group at 25 yds was 1.76". This was from a ransom rest. The next best load was 4.8grs of 7625 with precision delta 124jhp at 1.120". It had a 3 - 5shot avg of 1.80" also from the ransom rest. PF was 137 with PP, and 131 with 7625.

"1.13578 is a good one."

I'm thinking mebbe DWFAN is pulling your leg just a bit :D

I kinda doubt there's one "best" OAL that works across the board for any given caliber or model gun. The most I've heard is that longer OAL's might be more consistent in terms of leade engagement and theoretically that might have better accuracy. I'd say that, in our game, though, using a stock gun and barrel, it won't make any practical difference.

Mostly folks load OAL's for the best function, and my personal experience is that OFM Glock barrels will swallow just about any 9mm round that meets the SAAMI specs. :cheers:

Anytime I post a question I always expect some comodian responses. That's part of the enjoyment I get out of this forum!:)

What is the most accurate OAL for a G17 (stock with warren sights) that all you folks have found? I have Montana Gold 124 CMJs and I use VV N320 or IMR SR 7625.

1.13 was the most accurate in my Glock 34.

I've found either 1.135" or 1.140" to be the best two COAL's in my G17 when shooting MG 124 gr. JHP's. The MG 124 gr. CMJ's seem to perform better at 1.150".

This may depend also on the exact gun and the powder being used. I've found MG 124gr JHP's to work best from my G17 when loaded shorter, like 1.110"-1.115".

I use 1.125" in every gun I own. I never use any other OAL even when I change powder brands. I just work up the powder to find the best accuracy.

I chose this OAL, because that's the OAL of WWB ammo, which feeds very well in every 9mm I've ever owned/rented/borrowed.