Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses

maverick

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried the Racing red, laser black, smoke black, yellow, clear and some others. Used the r-red most of the time. That was until I bought my rydon's with the Laser Clear Deg lenses. If you're considering the clear, I suggest you try the laser clear deg first. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I used up 4 oakleys in 2 years. all of them disintegrated. the frames become brittle and crack.

I changed to Rudy Project Kerosenes and have been using them for the past 2 1/2 years without any problems!

So if you live in a hot and humid climate, go with the RP's

oakleys.. I use the juliet or the A frame versions. I shoot in a tropical climate and they work just great.

The only problem will be with the lenses... those irridium lenses "stain" very quickly...

• 3 weeks later...

I used to work for an HMO. I got a $300 optical allowance every year. I have several of each type:

Bolle

Serengetti

Vuarnet

B&L

Killer Loops

Uvex

Cebe

Revo

Oakleys

and probably a couple of other brands that I have forgotten about.

For the past 4 months I have been using two types of Oakleys, one pair with Iridium lens and regular lens in the other pair.

The Iridium lens are excellent. I rarely shoot in anything else but Oakleys now.

I have not tried Rudy's yet. But have seen them up close. They seem to be another excellent choice. I think Jim S. does an outstanding job of supporting our sport. I would buy a pair to try but I do not work for an HMO anymore so I have to watch my pennies more closely.

Go with either Rudy or Oakley Iridiums and you can not go wrong.

Rudy Project definately has my vote. Jim at Advanced Performance Shooting is invaluable to our sport and really takes customer service seriously. I bought the Freeon Golf 2's and can't imagine how I got by with anything else. Fit, finish and clarity is top of the line! Thanks again Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all of the good comments about both the Rudy Projects and my company. We are alive and well and still living in Missouri... but we spent most of the summer moving to a new house and not spending alot of time on the web.

dvc40jim@aol.com

info@advancedperformanceshooting.com

www.advancedperformanceshooting.com

are all good links and addresses.

347 693 8661

573 759 7331

are both good contact numbers.

I purposely don't have online ordering even though I no it reduces sales. I want to talk with each customer to make sure that they get exactly what they are looking for.... even it it costs me a few dollars for those that want the convenience of online ordering.

Thanks again, see you on the range!

I have a number of pairs of Oakleys and am currently using Rudy Project Freeon Golfs.

At the Area 5 last weekend, I tried on a pair of Rudy Project Ketyums at Jim's table. I was very impressed and if I was buying today, these are what I'd get!

I may end up getting a pair anyway even though I am perfectly happy with the Golfs since the Ketyum lenses are that good.

Kevin

I am quite happy with my new Rudy Rydon. Thank you Jim.

I wonder what the right path for feedback to Rudy may be? Jim, how much to they care about shooter feedback vs biker feedback (for example). I would like them to make lens ever so slightly larger. I find that the Rydons offer marginal coverage for my eyes. They do the job, but I wish the lens where just a tad larger. It seems that all the glasses with RX inserts have a bit of this problem, and I don't see why they can't make a couple of different lens sizes for the same frames.

Just a small bitch, I still love them

Vlad

I am quite happy with my new Rudy Rydon. Thank you Jim.

I wonder what the right path for feedback to Rudy may be? Jim, how much to they care about shooter feedback vs biker feedback (for example). I would like them to make lens ever so slightly larger. I find that the Rydons offer marginal coverage for my eyes. They do the job, but I wish the lens where just a tad larger. It seems that all the glasses with RX inserts have a bit of this problem, and I don't see why they can't make a couple of different lens sizes for the same frames.

Just a small bitch, I still love them

Vlad

Vlad, the Rydon models comes in two lense sizes. IIRC, the model SX has a smaller lense (for small faces) compared to the regular rydons. Maybe you got the SX?

I also agree regarding the RX inserts being too small for pistol shooting applications. However, an eye doctor friend once related to me the problems pertaining to curved correction lenses. She said most people find that a too-curved setup can cause some nausea or something. :unsure:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got a pair of rudy ketyum's from Jim. They're spendy suckers but when I put it on, it definitely feels worth the dough.

Jim was right about the racing red lenses and how it helps you see the dot on a c-more. It's hard to describe but the dot looks darker/richer and stands out more. I haven't worn them on a bright day but expect them to help appreciably.

Many thanks to Jim for the shades, the grip, and the customer service.

I've been trying a set of SunBusters lately. Their Shooting Set has a bunch of different colored lenses in it for under $100. I like the lenses almost as much as my Rudys, though the frames are a step down. If you don't know what colors you want, it looks like a great way to try a lot of them..

http://www.dixiepro.com/ or http://www.cpwsa.com/Eyes_and_Ears.htm

• 1 year later...

I really like my Olympic bifocal glasses from Safety Glasses USA (.com).

They kind of look like Oakley M frames.

<$30 for a pair; I keep one pair in my range bag and one pair on my reloading bench.

Safety Glasses USA is old school too, you can call them, talk to a real person and make your order. :)

You will have your order in a couple of days too! :)

I have no conections with them other than being a past and hopefully future customer.

FM

Although this thread has been dormant for some time, I still must ask...

Am I the ONLY person that used el-cheapo glasses? :ph34r:

Not on the range anymore.. I used to, but found that even a few steps up from el-cheapo were a whole lot better in terms of clarity and whatever they call the effect where if you move where you're looking through the glasses (or move the glasses), the stuff you're looking at moves as well.

I have a bad habit of abusing sunglasses terribly, and only ever get cheap sets of those, but I have learned to be somewhat careful with my range shades.

Shread, Front Man,

I am the person that will get hit in just the right spot of my glasses by popper lead. THe beauty of the el-cheapo glasses is that they are quite disposable, whereas I am setting myself up to have a stroke if I ruin a $300+ pair of shades.

All of that being said...am I missing out on MUCH better sight?

You don't have to spend THAT much!

I have one pair of M frames with the VR-28 lense in addition to my clear bi-focal glasses.

My M frames were <$125 IIRC.

Replacement lenses for Oakleys shouldn't break the bank either.

If I didn't need anything other than a clear lens my economy bifocal glasses would be fine.

FM

• 4 weeks later...

I have 6 different style shooting glasses with poly lenses and RX inserts. One style, which comes with icy blue lens, has interchangeable lenses clear and amber. The prices are from $19.95 to $24.95. You take the RX insert to a local mega mart eyewear department with your prescription and normally pay $50.00 for single vision. If interested email me and I'll email you back with pictures of the glasses in a zip file. TechTeach@csinet.net

• 2 years later...