Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roll Sizer

jeffa

Who out there is interested in a Roll Sizer? A small company in Charlotte NC is looking to mfg. different calibers. A price is not set on these as we are currently trying to gauge peoples interest. Everyone knows casepro's are hard to find and we are looking to possibly manufacture depending on interest. Please respond with any interests, ideas, suggestions.

I think if you make a decent machine at a reasonable price people will buy them. Most people who roll size do so in 9 and 40. Mostly 40 though.

Make sure you can attach one of the commercially available case feeders easily as well. No sense trying to make one yourself when there are a few proven ones out there, well unless there is a huge profit margin

A roll sizer is a useless tool.

Good brass can be sized with a regular die.

If a standard die wont work, the brass is ruined. Crushing it down to fit is foolish.

Some guns have tight chambers and the would appreciate roll sized brass. Especially if it was fired from a glock.

My hornady sizing die sizes far enough that my m&p has no issues firing glocked brass. Other people aren't so lucky. A roll sizer might be just the thing they need.

Dont forget there are some lucky people out there that get tons of free brass from LEO ranges. So spending a few hundred bucks on a roll our push thru sizer makes sense.

Edited by Babaganoosh

My Springfield 9mm 1911-A1 has a super tight chamber and even though I guage all my reloads I still have problems. I'd like to try a roll sizer!

Edited by Krag

Wide, I am not picking a fight with you, but I disagree. Roll sizing .40 brass makes it effortless to resize and easier on your arm when loading.

Roll sizing 9mm makes sure a nick on the case rim gets ironed out and improves ejection on Major 9mm.

All the 9 and .40 I sell gets roll sized as part of the "conditioning" process so the end user has not problem with it.

Almost ALL commercial reloaders that I have met and talked to, past and present, bought and used roll sized brass to load their ammo which they sold to end users.

Roll Sizing helps the reloader reload easier, and helps the commercial reloader make sure the ammo will fit in almost all chambers that they sell to....FWIW.

Now, since most reloader/shooters are cheap bastards...myself included.... :devil: Unless you have a low price point on the roll sizer good luck.

People don't want to pay $700 for a new casepro, so I hope you can cut down the cost to be effective in the proposed market.

Good luck with the endeavor. I will be in the market if it is a better mousetrap!

DougC

I am definitely interested. I use a LOT of LE range brass that has been Glocked. At least 20% will not gauge.This is after using RCBS, Dillion, and Lee sizing dies. The Lee's do a much better job, but I still have the run quite a lot through the pass through. I wold love to be able to roll size several thousand rounds at a time.

I use a case pro on every piece of 40 brass I load. Definitely makes the loading process easier and no more rounds tossed after they don't fit the case gauge :) IMO if you pick up range brass and want to be able to use every piece of brass that's not damaged, some sort of case preparation machine is required. I've also used the Magma Engineering products, their Case Master Jr is a nice product for those of us that don't load commercially. It's probably better than the affordable roll sizers out there like the Case Pro since the brass is full length sized and not rolled. I've witnessed roll sized brass that had a defect in the roller and caused major damage (splitting) in the cases upon firing. And the case Master Jr will work with a dillon case feeder, just need to figure out a way to automate the brass insertion.

I'd be in for a machine for 9mm and maybe 40 S&W if it was affordable.

Wide45:

I'm with Doug on this one.

My factory Trojan in 40S&W had feed/chmbering issues with oversized brass. So I roll sized them and the issues went away.

I have a CasePro100 and it ain't for sale.

I use a case pro on every piece of 40 brass I load. Definitely makes the loading process easier and no more rounds tossed after they don't fit the case gauge :) IMO if you pick up range brass and want to be able to use every piece of brass that's not damaged, some sort of case preparation machine is required. I've also used the Magma Engineering products, their Case Master Jr is a nice product for those of us that don't load commercially. It's probably better than the affordable roll sizers out there like the Case Pro since the brass is full length sized and not rolled. I've witnessed roll sized brass that had a defect in the roller and caused major damage (splitting) in the cases upon firing. And the case Master Jr will work with a dillon case feeder, just need to figure out a way to automate the brass insertion.

I'd be in for a machine for 9mm and maybe 40 S&W if it was affordable.

Agreed about the CaseMaster Junior ... good machine, no issues so far that I've had with it. Hooked up an old 550 case feeder to it which makes it quicker ... automating the feed/press would be great ... Magma makes a fully automated machine at around $6k :surprise: Or if you have really deep pockets, you could go with a Camdex case processor at around $19k ....

Back to the original question ... most others here have stated about the price point ... I think that's the sticking part with the CasePro for most people. I would guess if you could get it down around $400 for the machine and one caliber, you would make sales.

Good brass can be sized with a regular die.

As long as the extractor and/or ejector didn't put a ding in the rim and your die has been ground so you have no chamfer (like most all progressive dies have) so it can size flush with the shell plate.

To the OP, interested in how the machine is to work. Is it like the Scarch, casepro or magma machines?

The good thing about the CasePro100 is that it not only roll sizes the brass it also reconditions the extractor groove. The push through sizers (Magma, Redding, Lee etc) do not perform this operation.

One issue we have noticed with Base-resizers, primarily in 40 S&W, is that repeated base-sizing will work-harden the base, and will eventually result in a case separation. If you are selling ammo loaded with once-fired brass this is of no consequence. However, if you are repeatedly base-sizing the same cases, it is a real concern.

One issue we have noticed with Base-resizers, primarily in 40 S&W, is that repeated base-sizing will work-harden the base, and will eventually result in a case separation. If you are selling ammo loaded with once-fired brass this is of no consequence. However, if you are repeatedly base-sizing the same cases, it is a real concern.

Can you expound on this or the type of base sizing where you have seen this? I have some brass I have loaded 10 or so times and I have never seen this happen and I press through size every time because I am shooting in a revolver. I would like to know if I am doing something dangerous.

Lee

Sorry - I'm going to call BS on that.

I loaded up once fired brass that had been roll sized to major PF and fired it through a fully supported barrel. Then, roll sized it again and reloaded it again. 10 times. Zero failures.

ZERO

You could hardly make out the headstamp.

Sorry - I'm going to call BS on that.

I loaded up once fired brass that had been roll sized to major PF and fired it through a fully supported barrel. Then, roll sized it again and reloaded it again. 10 times. Zero failures.

ZERO

You could hardly make out the headstamp.

Ouch, that's kind of harsh. I think your statement spelled out an important point. If you were firing out of a fully supported chamber, you'd experience a different result than a shooter with a stock Glock barrel without full chamber support.

Cut Dillon a break, I think they make a good point (as do you). If you're roll sizing (heck, even if you're just using a sizing die) repeatedly Glock'ed brass, that brass is going to get work hardened a lot more quickly than brass fired out of the full supported chamber.

I'm about 2 weeks away from taking delivery of a CasePro. I think a roll sizer with a case feeder is a big deal for maximizing my shooting time. If there were other options for the home reloader, I'd welcome the added free market competition.

I get my brass from a local guy who buys from the police ranges. It's 99% Glocked brass and my finished ammo fails case gauge 5% of the time. Once I'm up and running with the roll sizer, my club match and practice ammo will be a lot less hassle. I'll still case gauge my major match ammo.

I find it interesting everyone always refers to Glocks as if they are the only guns that will swell brass. Lol. I think the only fully supported chamber is a case gauge. Glocks are for sure less supported and other guns are more supported but it seems people think Glocks = no support and everything else = 100% support.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45