Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top shooters using 115 grain 9mm

Schedule 40

Hey, All.

I am curious to know if any of the top shooters in USPSA/IDPA use 115 grain 9mm bullets. It seems that most, if not all, of the top dogs prefer one form or another of 147 grain bullets. Occasionally, I'll hear of someone reccomending 124s, but not nearly as often as the 147s.

Now, I do understand the thinking behind the use of heavier bullets, and I have even shot many thousands of rounds using all three bullet weights. Although I do notice a difference in felt recoil impulse, I can not say for certain that it makes me shoot any better. As a C-class shooter, I seem to run all of my drills pretty equally with any of the bullet weights. The problem also lies in the fact that my G34 seems to shoot the 115s much tighter than the 147s.

Am I fighting an uphill battle if I decide to stick with 115s as opposed to the heavier options. I'm thinking that my limited shooting ability may have something to do with me not being able to notice a difference in my timed drills. What do you guys think. Do any of you "top dogs" out there think that it would be crazy for a shooter to try and reach their full potential using 115s.

Thanks.

its not gonna matter. Alot of people are using 147's because some body eles says they are better. But like you have found not alot of difference. A full size full weight shooting already downloaded 9mm ammo just doesnt recoil much. And if you arnt efficient at handling the recoil of 115 minor loads you have bigger problems.

Many 9mm's wont stabalize 147's and kehole. Many shoot 115's and 124's much better. Use what ever is cheapest and workes in your gun. Practice will pay off more than chasing a magic bullet.

When I got my CZ to shoot in production, I asked the guy who sold it to me what a good load was. He said 124 JHP over N320. That was Angus Hobdell. I figured if it worked for him, I would probably work for me :rolleyes:

it make no difference what someone else is using. you will always be the best judge of what works best for you. you've already stated that bullet weight makes no difference in your drills. you've answered your own question.

I'm not a top USPSA shooter but I've put down top 5 finishes on stages at major 3-gun matches (in TACOPS) using 115gr bullets.

To me, 147's recoil less but I can perceive the slide being open longer. (I'm waiting)

115's are flippy but it's over fast and I can break the next shot sooner. (I'm transitioning)

Edited by DyNo!

is it because the 147's knock down steel better too?.......

I switched from 115's this year to find out. For the past two years I have at least one steel popper at each match that had to be hit twice to be knocked down. I'm hoping the heaver bullet reduces that for me.

is it because the 147's knock down steel better too?.......

I switched from 115's this year to find out. For the past two years I have at least one steel popper at each match that had to be hit twice to be knocked down. I'm hoping the heaver bullet reduces that for me.

That is one of the main reasons i switched to 147 grn. they will take steel down with even a edge hit. More dwell time when they strike.

Definitely a matter of preference. Keep in mind that some people, especially just starting out, can't tell the difference from 115s to 147s making the same PF with the same powder.

As Flex so succinctly put it, you can train your way into success with any of them. If your gun prefers one weight (really length) over another, that's what you should go with.

That said, there's really no point in learning to "live with" something that you don't like. Try them all and figure out what works best for you. Personally, I feel that the 147s feel sluggish; I like some more snap, and prefer the sight to lift quickly and return to the notch quickly. 115s are a bit over the top however, and my gun prefers the heavier stuff. So it's 124 JHPs for me, from a combination of personal and gun preference.

On a slightly humorous note-- you save powder with the heavier bullets! Across 50k rounds, a penny saved is a penny WELL earned. :lol: But that should be the least of your concerns.