Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 45ACP brass will you NOT reload for matches?

GregJ

Besides S&B and A-MERC?

Since I've been sorting my 45ACP brass into "match" and "range" buckets, I've not had any ammo realted issues at a match. My match brass is usually Blazer, Winchester, PMC, Federal, Speer, CCI, Starline, LC, and maybe one or two I'm forgetting. All other go into my range bucket.

I do come across a lot of CBC brass, and may load some up of just this to see if it'll be ok for matches. R-P brass definatly goes into the range bucket, as I've had too many setbacks (with a .4695 crimp) using this brass.

Any other good brass I may have discounted? :cheers:

Small primer brass goes straight to the trash

Have you had trouble with them or do you just not like having to switch over primers? I normally save them up and when i have the small primer setup in my press from another caliber load them up. Ive used them at matches before without any problems. They are a pain to sort out but i've not seen any downsides.

I use mostly Win, Fed, and PMC and definately use all the same headstamp for match shooting. I don't like R-P for the same reason OP listed (thin wall= not enough neck tension)I have used magtech (CBC) in 9mm and like it fine but haven't tried it in 45. :cheers:

Small primer brass goes straight to the trash

Have you had trouble with them or do you just not like having to switch over primers? I normally save them up and when i have the small primer setup in my press from another caliber load them up. Ive used them at matches before without any problems. They are a pain to sort out but i've not seen any downsides.

I've never had enough of them to want to bother with them. And they're frustrating enough that it's more satisfying to throw them in the trash than to shoot them.

I found a pretty good list of brass from this post on glockpost. I've updated it based on my experience. This is pretty much how it gets sorted.

Match brass:

PMC --- (Precision Made Cartridge)

Speer -- (Speer)

Blazer -- (CCI)

*--* ------- (Starline)

Federal ---- (Federal)

Hornady --- (Hornady)

*I* -------- (Independance)

Norma ----- (Norma)

Winchester - (Winchester)

Range Brass:

CBC -------- (Magtech) <may use for matches, need to test>

R-P -------- (Remington)

ELD -------- (Eldorado)

FC --------- (Federal) **No good in .40s&w**

TZZ ------- (Israeli Military Industries)

UMC ------- (Remington)

WIN ------- (Winchester)

WCC ------- (Western Cartridge Company, with 2 digit year under WCC)

Aguila -- (Aguila)

Fiocchi - (Fiocchi)

G.F.L. ----(Fiocchi)

HY ----- (?)

IVI -----(Industrie Valcartier Inc.) **Crimped primer pockets

ACP --- (Armscorp)

AMERC - (American Ammunition) <Junk>

FC ----- (Federal) in .40s&w

NNY --- (?)

S&B --- (Sellier & Beloit) Mixed reviews, usually the problem is related to primer pocket size.

AMERC and any of the ones with dates/numbers goes into the someday to be recycled trash bucket. SPP goes into a separate bucket maybe to get used one day but usually given away to somebody who wants it.

Everything else gets used in matches from local to Area matches.

Don't understand the R-P and CBC problems in .45 some people have. They work as well as any other case for me, including Winchester and Starline.

Al

I've found it very interesting what some folks here will load for a match, and what some wont. Those that basically reload any headstamp for a match, is having a couple (or the occasional) ammo related jams or misfeeds during a match acceptable? Or have you not had any at all? Just curious.

Edited by GregJ

I load everything. never had a problem at all. I don't sort my brass. When I hit a SP one, i put it to the side till I get enough and load them up in one batch. these are saved for special uses like indoor ranges and when its muddy outside at the range.

I'm not a big fan of S&B but I am too lazy to sort it out, just have to push harder to make sure the primers get seated. other than that I run everything until it splits. Match ammo gets moonclipped and checked in the cylinder but that is about it.

Mike

Hmmm, based on all the feedback, I'm considering revamping my current process. After weeding out the SP brass, run everything through my LNL, and for the cases that have obviously thin walls (can feel it when resizing, barely any resistance), maybe marking the case with a sharpie to be seperated later for only range use. Thoughts? :blink:

I've found it very interesting what some folks here will load for a match, and what some wont. Those that basically reload any headstamp for a match, is having a couple (or the occasional) ammo related jams or misfeeds during a match acceptable? Or have you not had any at all? Just curious.

IMO, having any ammo related jams during a match is unacceptable, whether you're using mixed brass or all same headstamp. Unless you're REALLY good and everyone else is mediocre, having a single jam in a match is the difference between winning and being 5+ places down.

I almost never have a jam, misfeed or anything ammo related anymore. Found what works and i leave it be.

Part of that is cleaning the gun before every match. Period.

Now i've probably gone and cursed myself for the upcoming Area 1 match angry.gif

Al

You all may want to save that small pistol primer 45 acp and when you get enough of it, there are are several ppl who shoot 45 cal wheelguns that prefer the small pistol primer stuff.. maybe work a trade 1 for 1 for the large pistol primer stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to just shoot it all. Mind you, I'm not at the point where really accurate pistol ammo makes that big of a difference. I did start having problems with some really old (40's and 50's) surplus brass marked FA and EC, so now i segregate that stuff. Apart from that I haven't had any problems, though. I agree completely with those who say dealing with 2 different sized primers just isn't worth it.