Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case gauges, how necessary?

motosapiens

I see alot of reference to people case-gauging ammo, or having ammo that doesn't run that they forgot to case-gauge. I'm still a beginner, only loaded 6-8k 9mm and 40 rounds on a lee single-stage press with lee dies. Never case-gauged anything. every round runs great in every gun I own. Am I just lucky? Are the case-gaugers excessively anal?

I ask because i'm starting to think I need a real reloading machine, like a 550, but the refs to case gauges and such make me wonder if i'll start making less reliable ammo by going higher-volume. I can comfortably load 150/hr now (including spot checks for weight and OAL and switching dies and everything). I don't want to be able to load twice that, but end up giving some of that back having to case gauge everything, or pull apart bullets that I messed up.

Am I just getting the wrong impression?

Unless your seating or crimp die is drifting, if you use a Lee U-die, or use a GR-X, you shouldn't have to use a case gauge.

Case gauge will catch things that go wrong after sizing.. just an example: like bullets (especially plated) that get 'shaved' during seating, or bullets that don't seat correctly (tipped)

ETA: the more the match cost to enter.. the more crtitical I am

Edited by D.Hayden

I only case gauge for matches and just use my pistol chamber as a go/no go.

For 223, I now use a case guage. I had to feel some pain before I became a believer.

As you may or may not know, 1 malfunction can tank your match.

If you "just shoot for fun" then don't bother.

With the Lee FCD I have never had a pistol round fail to chamber.

So if you just talking about pistol you can use your barrel/chamber.

Unless I'm missing something.

David E.

For the larger matches, I always case gauge. For the local stuff, I might but almost never really worry about it. If you are using plated bullets or suspect brass, it would really be a better idea to case gauge. I also use a U-die and although it's good, it doesn't completely resize the brass. I will say since I have been using it, the amount of rounds that don't fit have been very, very minimal.

Also, remember, case gauges are different as far as the size. I know my Wilson 9mm case gauge is much tighter than my barrel so if they fit the gauge, they will definitely fit the chamber. If they are slightly tight, they are still okay. Other than that, they go in the practice bin or local match stuff.

The ultimate case gauge is your chamber/barrel that you are reloading for.

You didn't mention what you shoot. Most production guns are going to be a tad loose to fit a wider variety of rounds. Custom guns usually have a tighter chamber.

You didn't mention what you shoot. Most production guns are going to be a tad loose to fit a wider variety of rounds. Custom guns usually have a tighter chamber.

good point. I hadn't thought of that. I'm shooting off-the-shelf m&p and cz's. sounds like it's something i don't really need to worry about, but it is probably a good idea to check extra carefully before a major match.

I decided to forego case gauging ammo for the last major I went to cause I hadn't had ammo related problems in years. of course it bit my ass hard and cost me a stage; the last one I shot so it was a LONG 6 hr flight home. I've case gauged ammo for all of the other majors I've been to prior and never had an ammo problem (only shooter problems :D)... murphy's law

bottom line is ammo for anything above the level of a club match gets case gauged for insurance and piece of mind. one variable taken out of the equation.

Edited by blaster113

If you are shooting a fitted barrel in a 2011 style gun you might have a problem if you do not case gauge, especially if the gun in question is capable of shooting a 5 shot ragged hole at 25 yards off hand. The tolerances are so tight in that situation that ammo that feeds in most guns might not make it in yours.

A second consideration is the dies used. They all have tolerances. My Reddings size to .418 and I have never had a round that failed to pass the gauge.

I case gauge every round. I use junk range brass and generally have about a 5% failure rate. I use the rounds that fail for practice. The difference between my case gauge and chamber is laughable. For giggles I dropped in some fresh starline I had loaded for a sanctioned match and the was lots of play. I also use the case gauge step as one last check for high primers or a 380 that might have gotten through. I hate those damn things.

I use an undersize die. I have not case gauged my local match and practice ammo. I use my barrel for National and Area 2 matches. Then I only remove the rounds that don't drop easily.

All in all, I have never had round fail to feed or eject.