Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Polishing.

Biddle

Are you planning to shoot it in Production Division in USPSA? If you are, don't polish it as it is not allowed. At least that's the ruling I got when I asked AFTER polishing my M&P barrel. blink.gif

Anyway, I polished my barrel by laying it in a tray of hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing it with a green pad. It took several repetitions but it did all come off.

Biddle... your not by chance the "biddler on the roof" that posted the videos of the G35 on youtube are you? If so I have some questions about the grip work you had done. Any way back to the topic, I polished my G22 barrel and I always just put a light coat of oil on it after cleaning it. Two years and no rust or blemishes.

Yeah pretty much, plus the bluing is starting to wear in some places. Might as well make it look good.

you'll find that holster wear and general wear marks can look just as good on a barrel as well.

As far as a G35, I would advise against a mirror polish, as it may throw off the front sight acquisition a bit in bright sunlight with the slide opening at the front of the gun..

Are you planning to shoot it in Production Division in USPSA? If you are, don't polish it as it is not allowed. At least that's the ruling I got when I asked AFTER polishing my M&P barrel. blink.gif

Anyway, I polished my barrel by laying it in a tray of hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing it with a green pad. It took several repetitions but it did all come off.

While I guess I can understand the ruling based on the strictest definition of the rules, but what is the point of ruling (i.e., the "spirit" of the ruling)?

While I guess I can understand the ruling based on the strictest definition of the rules, but what is the point of ruling (i.e., the "spirit" of the ruling)?

As with some of the other rules, there is no point other than there is not a provision in the rules to allow it so it's not allowed. The rules say you can refinish the slide and the frame but say nothing about the barrel so you can't alter the finish on it period.

Makes no sense, gives no advantage, just not allowed.wacko.gif

As with some of the other rules, there is no point other than there is not a provision in the rules to allow it so it's not allowed. The rules say you can refinish the slide and the frame but say nothing about the barrel so you can't alter the finish on it period.

Makes no sense, gives no advantage, just not allowed.wacko.gif

That's kind of what I figured. Sometimes these gun games throw the baby out with the bathwater which can be infuriating, but I guess rules is rules.

Can't polish the barrel of a production gun? Where is that written? You can replace the barrel with another of the same caliber and factory length. You can refinish the gun, or the slide.

Answered my own question. I suppose Appendix D4, 21.1 says "any internal modifications which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery is prohibited."

21.2a Slide Refinishing allows refinishing of the slide and the frame.

I think you're right, as written you cannot polish the outside of the barrel if you can see it from outside the gun. It's unfortunate as I don't believe this was the intent of the BOD. This is a cosmetic change.

:ph34r:

your not really changing the finish, the finish is just wearing off by polishing. I would argue the fact that it is not refinishing as no finish is added to refinish.

Edited by EkuJustice

Yeah pretty much, plus the bluing is starting to wear in some places. Might as well make it look good.

Wear marks show character and indicate a working piece of equipment versus a pretty thing hiding numerous parts replacements and overhauls. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

You shouldn't have any problems with rust as the "bluing" or "parkerized" finish on the barrel and slide is performed after the Tennifer/Nitride treatment. I've got a 17 and 34 that have holster wear that looks like bare metal, but I've never had to worry about rust.

Mothers polish and a dremel on low, just take your time and don't overdo it....I polished a lone wolf 40-9 barrel that I use in my 23 so I could make double sure I knew it wasn't the stock 40 when shooting 9mm through it. It wouldn't bother me that much to shoot 9mm through a .40 but I wouldn't want to do the opposite! My barrel has been going strong for 2 years with no problems.

Edited by lostinar