Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 grip safety

rack&roll

I used the search engine but was unable to find a definitive answer to my question. Is it SS rules legal to disable (not pin) my grip safety by taking enough material off the grip safety/trigger engagement area until it no longer blocks the rear movement of the trigger? In other words..."over" sensitizing the grip safety. Thanks!

In USPSA SSD, disabling the grip safety is not specifically disallowed. Therefore, it is permitted. Any of the normal methods: rubber band, tape, pinning or as you describe, removing the internal engagement surface, will do.

Check the Appendix D5 of the USPSA rule book here for the complete low down on SSD equipment rules.

You're referring to USPSA right? IDPA is a different animal and I believe all factory safeties must remain functional.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm referring SSD USPSA. Kungfunerd, No matter how much spring tension is on the grip safety, it still must travel forward and up to get out of the way of the trigger bar and allow the gun to fire. When trying to get a high grip on my gun (RH thumb over grip safety), I sometimes don't engage the grip safety memory bump enough when I draw my gun. By disabling, pinning, or sensitizing the grip safety, even a sloppy grip on the gun doesn't prevent it from going bang!

Dont grind it, you may want to use it someday. You can deactivate it by wedging a piece of shock buff or something similar between the grip safety and the main spring houseing, or just pin it.----------Larry

I don't see the point in disabling it.

Unless you plan to shoot without gripping it.

Just adjust by bending the spring.

When set right you can't miss it.

I wish that were true.... I started out shooting Glocks with a very high grip and now when I grab a SS with a grip safety and throw my thumb on top of the thumb safety I sometimes don't disengage the grip safety. I have it adjusted very light and it take very little movement, probably arounf .020 to disengage it and it is way better than it was but I still will miss it on ocasion

Dont grind it, you may want to use it someday. You can deactivate it by wedging a piece of shock buff or something similar between the grip safety and the main spring houseing, or just pin it.----------Larry

ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!.....TOO LATE! I already did it, and I'm sorry I did. Oh, well.

ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!.....TOO LATE! I already did it, and I'm sorry I did. Oh, well.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always have it welded back up to normal.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always have it welded back up to normal.

Thanks! You are right, it can be reversed. At least now it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, no matter how I grip it.

I don't see the point in disabling it.

Unless you plan to shoot without gripping it.

Just adjust by bending the spring.

When set right you can't miss it.

I wish that were true.... I started out shooting Glocks with a very high grip and now when I grab a SS with a grip safety and throw my thumb on top of the thumb safety I sometimes don't disengage the grip safety. I have it adjusted very light and it take very little movement, probably arounf .020 to disengage it and it is way better than it was but I still will miss it on ocasion

I had that problem on one pistol.

Flat MSH and an Ed Brown Memory GS and an adjustment and then it was 100% for me.

• 5 months later...

I missed it at a level 2, to add insult to injury it was on the qualifier. Came in 3rd in SS. With a 55% qualifier. Missed grip safety, adjusted grip, bumped thumb safety in process, disengaged thumb safety. Finished match, then pinned the MF grip safety.

If you cut the arm off it will effectively disable it, and you can usually remove the grip safety more easily then by just lowering the mainspring housing enough to clear the tips and remove the thumb safety.

Remember, if you don't disable it, someday you won't get a good grip and then the gun won't go bang.