Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Update on STI Aluminum Grips

HotLoad

I want some kinda metal grip on my CCGunworks limited gun coming next Month. So its either the STI aluminum or a SVI stainless signature model. Anyone know if STI has tweaked their alum grips to not crack. I know if they are fit right they shouldn't crack. If I can use a STI alum grip why can't I use a SVI alum? I have had a couple people tell me to use the steel grips including SVI.

I want some kinda metal grip on my CCGunworks limited gun coming next Month. So its either the STI aluminum or a SVI stainless signature model. Anyone know if STI has tweaked their alum grips to not crack. I know if they are fit right they shouldn't crack. If I can use a STI alum grip why can't I use a SVI alum? I have had a couple people tell me to use the steel grips including SVI.

STI has redesigned their aluminum grip, they just aren't available yet. I have a couple of the first generation STI aluminum grips and haven't had any problems...yet. The knock on aluminum is that it work hardens and becomes brittle...which is why you get cracking. This is likely to occur in any aluminum grip framed gun at some point...doesn't mean it has to but it most likely will eventually.

IMO, If you can afford the extra $, get the SVI steel...you will not be disapointed.

STI has redesigned their aluminum grip, they just aren't available yet. I have a couple of the first generation STI aluminum grips and haven't had any problems...yet. The knock on aluminum is that it work hardens and becomes brittle...which is why you get cracking. This is likely to occur in any aluminum grip framed gun at some point...doesn't mean it has to but it most likely will eventually.

IMO, If you can afford the extra $, get the SVI steel...you will not be disapointed.

I am a little worried about the weight of a steel grip and how that will affect the balance of the gun. I am not a big dude and a little concerned about driving a heavy gun. Any thoughts from those who have SVI steel grips?

I am a little worried about the weight of a steel grip and how that will affect the balance of the gun. I am not a big dude and a little concerned about driving a heavy gun. Any thoughts from those who have SVI steel grips?

My wife is useing the SVI steel grip and she is 97lbs. The gun is a little heavy but it helps with the recoil.

I put the SV grips on my Kodiak Precision SV.

I liked them so much, I had them put on my Open gun.

The balance is just fine. Different than with plastic but to me much better.

Ensure your mags will work. I only use SV mags so there was no issues for me. I am not saying there will be an issue but i tend to be anal.

I am going down the same road as you. I picked the SVI stainless steal signature grip. I think there are to many choices of grips and textures from SVI. I was hung up on which grip to get for over a month. I decided to get the aggressive texture and have Matt buff on it a little bit so it isn't too sharp. Good luck on what you decide. I still haven't shot a gun with a SVI metal grip. Decisions, decisions lol

Edited to add: everyone I spoke to said the aluminum grips are more for carry guns or guns that will not be shot as much as comp guns

Edited by hax

My STI mags work great in my SV grip with no modifications. The SV mags also work in the same grip. My gun is a little on the heavy side, but you learn to get use to it. My gun does not have much recoil. The grip feels great!

• 4 years later...

I have also replaced the sti polymergrip in to a reinforced version of a alu grip. :rolleyes:

First i would a Infinity steel grip but in germany this things ar to expensive - over 800 €.

Then i saw at my gunmakrer this alu grip in some colores (blue, red, orange, black etc).

I put some grippaper on it to have a good grip (i shoot ipsc).

I think polymer or alu it doesend matters but it look´s nice.

Edited by Gonzzo

Go with the steel.

In steel i know only the expensive SVI grips (in different size) , but steel is cold and heavy.

for sti are some alugrips on the market from italy, germany and i know one factors in usa there you can get

alu, steel and titanium in sti style but thats to difficult to import this to EU - i think it´s not possible.

Edited by Gonzzo

Are you sure ?

It´s possible , Alu Steel Titanium the CNC machine does not matter which material.

But why use heavy steel if alu also works.

The knock on aluminum is that it work hardens and becomes brittle...which is why you get cracking. This is likely to occur in any aluminum grip framed gun at some point...doesn't mean it has to but it most likely will eventually.

IMO, If you can afford the extra $, get the SVI steel...you will not be disappointed

Edited by SCTaylor

• 3 months later...

So, since the necro thread is here and everything... Does anyone know if recent STI aluminum grips are still cracking? I just found a crack in my plastic grip on my open gun, second one this year. I don't really want a metal grip, but if I am going to have to keep replacing grips like this then the price adds up kinda fast, and I can get an aluminum one from Dawson for 250. But if it is just gonna crack also then... then I guess it is just back to buying more plastic.

9 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

So, since the necro thread is here and everything... Does anyone know if recent STI aluminum grips are still cracking? I just found a crack in my plastic grip on my open gun, second one this year. I don't really want a metal grip, but if I am going to have to keep replacing grips like this then the price adds up kinda fast, and I can get an aluminum one from Dawson for 250. But if it is just gonna crack also then... then I guess it is just back to buying more plastic.

Also STI no longer makes that Aluminum grip so if you do crack it it's not covered under warranty Dawson  just has new old stock of those.  CK Arms does make an aluminum and also a steel look them up there very nice.

Also STI no longer makes that Aluminum grip so if you do crack it it's not covered under warranty Dawson  just has new old stock of those.  CK Arms does make an aluminum and also a steel look them up there very nice.

On the STI website it says they are still under warranty. Might not be able to get a new one if it breaks, but they would probably send me an plastic one or 2 to replace it if it did.