Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me select a Shotgun for 3 Gun

aggie1988

I haven't shot the FN SLP, but most people that I've seen shoot M2's. The M2 is an excellent gun, and there are plenty of gunsmiths and choices to make it your 3gun shotgun.

Of course I see a lot of 1100's too. But I think the M2 is better (if you have the money.

Edited by hax

I agree with Clint-M above. If time is not an issue, get it and send it off to Benny or Mike to get it the way you want it. It will probably come out cheaper and you get it your way. You also get a chance to put some shells through it to get a feel for it before it's sent off. That's what I like to do but it's up to you.

I shot a SLP Mk1 22" recently and it did shoot nice but it feels like a cow compared to my M2 24". I think I'll stick with my M2 for a while...

I had a Win SX2 practical, which is the same thing as the SLP and I really like it. I would get out to a 3 gun match and see if you can try out both.

+1 on trying a few if you can. Looking at your user name I'm assuming you're a 23 year old in TX which should work out in your favor. If you're near N. Austin I'll have an Accurate Iron M2 you can try out around the beginning of April.

CM

Depends on your budget. If its $2300 get the Benelli 3Gun and be done with it. Benny is doing them anyway so the mods you would do to the base M2 would be the same anyway.

If you are trying to save a schekel or two...The FN is a great platform. Send the carrier and trigger group off to CRums to weld up the lifter and give you a better trigger. Dremel up the loading port and you are off to the races with every bit as competitive platform for about $1200

Depends on your budget. If its $2300 get the Benelli 3Gun and be done with it. Benny is doing them anyway so the mods you would do to the base M2 would be the same anyway.

If you are trying to save a schekel or two...The FN is a great platform. Send the carrier and trigger group off to CRums to weld up the lifter and give you a better trigger. Dremel up the loading port and you are off to the races with every bit as competitive platform for about $1200

the lifter weld up is a must. I damn near cut off my thumb using my sx2.

the lifter weld up is a must. I damn near cut off my thumb using my sx2.

At the last 3G match, I saw a guy gash his thumb pretty good on his SLP (the same one I tested out - did I say it was heavy :)) and almost put him out for the rest of the day. It's probably a good idea to get this done...

+1

Think what you could so with the money saved. Nice rifle, good pistol, optics for rifle, tons of ammo, some range memberships, etc, etc. For example, getting the FN and having the two modest after market items done would get you almost all the way to a Loki 3-Gun or Stag 3G model rifle, compared to just getting either of the M2 options. The Mossberg JM Pro 930 would be even cheaper, I think. But that doesn't have a track record like the FN.

I'm only looking at it from a financial point of view, not as someone with experience on the two platforms in question from the original post. I've only shot Rem 870, CZ 712 and Benelli SuperNova, to date. Remington Versa Max range time on Tuesday. But that gun has a lifter like the Devil's Own BBQ fork. Just practicing darn near speared by thumb! It's just as dangerous as it looks.

Anyway, I'd simply recommend you think about your entire kit (guns, accessories, and such) to make your decision. Obviously if you could try some different shotguns that would be optimal. Good luck.

When I talked to Benny at Rockcastle, he said if you send a Benelli to him it was approx $1000 to do all of the work on it. Since he is doing the Benelli 3guns for Benelli, the $1000 difference seems right on the mark. A friend of mine bought a new Salient Benelli and paid similar money for it.

Personally, if I were just getting into three gun, I would buy the stock M2, put a Nordic tube and a brighter front sight on it and shoot it. Spend the $1000 on ammo and gear, when you get to the point that the gun is holding you back, send it to Benny or another good shop and get the mods done. By then, you should know what you want in a shotgun and can get it just like you want it.

Hurley

My gun store has the Benelli M2 3-Gun ($2,100), Benelli M2 21"($1,100 then send off to be modified) or the FN SLP Mark 1($950). If I buy the M2 how much for all the mods? Which gun should I buy? Thanks

My thoughts are like yours plus or minus a few buck. I have pretty much ruled out the SLP only because after handling it and operating it I wasn't 100% comfortable with it. Tried an M2 and like the feel and fit so this will be the route I will take. I have be waiting for the Benelli factory 3 gun set up, like it just not the extension tube past the barrel and the steep price tag- I think it is a fare price for what has been done just a harder hit at the time of purchase is all I am saying. As was stated by another I will get an M2 and shoot it for a while and then decide what I need, like and who to go to. I have had a great talk with AI and their work so that will probably be the route I take. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

When I talked to Benny at Rockcastle, he said if you send a Benelli to him it was approx $1000 to do all of the work on it. Since he is doing the Benelli 3guns for Benelli, the $1000 difference seems right on the mark. A friend of mine bought a new Salient Benelli and paid similar money for it.

Personally, if I were just getting into three gun, I would buy the stock M2, put a Nordic tube and a brighter front sight on it and shoot it. Spend the $1000 on ammo and gear, when you get to the point that the gun is holding you back, send it to Benny or another good shop and get the mods done. By then, you should know what you want in a shotgun and can get it just like you want it.

Hurley

+1 Sage advise.

I would suggest...and I've been thru a few by the way, to pick up the 21 inch stock benelli...Send to to Cyrwus and just have him do the following..Lighten the bolt, drill and tap for a bolt release, and mill out the loading port/extend the lifter. You can put the nordic extension/front fiber optic from brownells on yourself and if you feel the need to stipple its pretty easy...I did the above, gave up nothing I can think of to a full custom, and about 3-400 bucks cheaper than the benelli 3 gun...Mike does EXCELLENT EXCELLENT work...(and know he doesn't sponsor me)

Bets

Versamax. Less work needed to get it up to speed and less recoil. A little heavier than bennelli but we don't have to carry them far. I am running mine stock except for welding lifter and like it much better than my tricked out m2