Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grain 9mm load?

Nimitz

first off let me say that I'm not a reloader & therefore know little to nothing about it .... with that said, my training instructor has told me that you can make a 147 grain 9mm load that is virtually as soft as a 22 round. Right now I just shoot 115 grain 9mm since I only shoot USPSA Production with a Glock 34.

A friend of mine does reloading as a hobby and makes 115 grain FMJ 9mmm reloads for me and has said he'd be happy to make the 147 grain rounds if I can tell him what the powder load is. Can anyone help me with this or point me to where I can find it? Thanks!

Nimitz,

If you do a search there is a wealth of good information on this subject here. I like the moly coated bullets, and the brand I currently use is Bear Creek, but there are others that are very popular as well. If you like jacketed, Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and many others are available. For powder, there are several opinions. VV powders, WSF, Solo 1000, and WW 231 are all good ones, and there are more varieties. Also, the weight of recoil springs will make a big difference in how the pistol handles. A lot of the fun is in trying the different combinations to find what you like. If you have a couple or three loads and can't make up your mind, run them against the timer. It will tell you which load you are fastest with.

my instructor told me you can make a 147 grain 9mm load that is virtually as soft as a 22 round. Right now I just shoot 115 grain 9mm

Nimitz, there is a difference between shooting 115 gr & 147 grain,

but the 147's are NOT "as soft as a .22".

Matter of fact, some people don't like the 147's.

You should try some 124's and 147's - some people don't even

see a difference from one to the other, and the 147's are more

expensive.

I prefer the 147's and use WW231 powder - works very well at

PF 132.

Good luck with it.

Jack

how do you determine how much powder you put in that load to get 135 pf? I assume you have a chronograph but are you just doing "trial & error" until you find what you want (remember, I know nothing about reloading ..)

IMO, your TI is wrong about a 9mm shooting as soft as a .22. No way it will happen out of a pistol. S/He must have been exaggerating a bit.

When I used to reload for Production, I used 3.7 gr Ramshot Competition with a 147 gr moly bullet out of a G17. Made about 129 PF.

I suggest you have your buddy start with the same powder load he uses for your 115. That way you have a KNOWN starting point. Load 10 rds with 147s, then adjust up or down as needed to get 128 - 130 PF. You'll be making several trips to the range to get it right.

My 147gr loads feel quite light, but not .22 light. I think what was being described to you is that the round has more of a push type feel instead of the snappy feel of the 115gr.

As for the load? I'm a little surprised he asked you for that information? But maybe it's just me being a stickler for working my loads up. If someone makes a suggestion on a load, I'll still start lower and work my way to it.

I love how 147gr shoots, and now I barely take the time to run 115gr. I produce maybe 100-150 rounds of 115gr for every 1000 147gr that I run. And even then it's just stockpiling. I barely use the stuff unless I'm running it through a new gun or barrel. I use the same powder for them though (W231) so it makes going back and forth quite easy since I know the loads I enjoy to shoot.

Baloney! I just finished loading up some new 147gr for testing.

Win 231/HP 38 (same stuff) is popular, along with WSF, Titegroup, and VV N320.

You or him (or both), need to consult some research and see what the suggested starting load and max load is.

Edited by polizei1

I suggest you have your buddy start with the same powder load he uses for your 115.

That's not good advice as most 147 loads are over half a grain lighter than 115 loads. Some are almost a full grain lighter. I loaded 124's with 4.2 over powder XXX and loaded 147's with 3.8 for the same PF. 115's with that powder probably needed around 4.6 to make the same PF.

I think the 147's would be overcharged using your suggestion.

I suggest you have your buddy start with the same powder load he uses for your 115.

That's not good advice as most 147 loads are over half a grain lighter than 115 loads. Some are almost a full grain lighter. I loaded 124's with 4.2 over powder XXX and loaded 147's with 3.8 for the same PF. 115's with that powder probably needed around 4.6 to make the same PF.

I think the 147's would be overcharged using your suggestion.

Agree...

It probably makes more sense to start by asking your reloading friend what powders he has.

I've loaded soft 147gr ammo using 3.4gr Universal or 3.5-3.8gr WST (depending on how soft you want). These "soft" loads do in the neighborhood of 870-920fps.

how do you determine how much powder you put in that load to get 135 pf? I assume you have a chronograph but are you just doing "trial & error"

I think it was about 3.4 gr WW231, but not sure.

Start at 3 grains and work up with a chrono.

Jack

My Lyman #49 states using Win 231, starting load is 3.5gr, max is 4.1, OAL was something like 1.015. I just made various loads but haven't had the time to test them yet. 3.4-4.2gr's, OAL 1.11-1.15.

how do you determine how much powder you put in that load to get 135 pf? I assume you have a chronograph but are you just doing "trial & error" until you find what you want (remember, I know nothing about reloading ..)

Working up a load and testing with a chronograph for YOUR gun. It is a bit of trial & error - but always start with a published load, better yet, a cross referenced published load and work your way up through testing both velocity (for PF) and accuracy out of your gun.

As stated earlier in the thread I run they berry's 147gr over w231. Currently happy with 3.7gr. Though I have been curious to try it with other powders. However I still have about 8.5lbs left of it, lol.

VV320

XD

Stock Barrel

124 gr. Zero with 4.1 grains

147 gr. Zero with 3.3 grains

OAL 1.143

Both make minor. So far I am not sure if I can tell the difference the recovery time on the 147 does seems smoother. I will need to do some side by side comparisons.