Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MINI RED DOTSIGHT ( MRDS) ON YOUR SCOPED OPEN RIFLE

gunfrog

I am curious to hear about your set up, mount you use, where you put it, where you zero and what your rational is. Here is my tragic tale:

I use to put my JPoint on my scope( NF 2.5X10, NPR2) at 12 oclock , useing a JP scope mount for 30mm tube and zero at 100 yards. But I found most of the time I wanted to use it was on closer targets and I would have to hold real high, and that made me slower. I changed zero to 35 yards, with better results, but since my MRD is so high above my bore if I had some wide open targets at 50 yards that would be best taken with the MRD I would have to hold low. SO im going to put it off set on the rail with the JP mount and zero at 15 (for busting them clay birds up close) but should still hiy close to dot out to 60 yards, so I hope.

I am curious to hear about your set up, mount you use, where you put it, where you zero and what your rational is. Here is my tragic tale:

Has anyone done speed tests on the clock using primary optic vs secondary optics at close ranges. Having used stacked optics and offset optics I always felt that for at least the first target acquiring the secondary optic was slower than just using the primary. I'm wondering at what point it becomes even/faster.

Has anyone done speed tests on the clock using primary optic vs secondary optics at close ranges. Having used stacked optics and offset optics I always felt that for at least the first target acquiring the secondary optic was slower than just using the primary. I'm wondering at what point it becomes even/faster.

I use a Micro Aimpoint at 1 oclock in a Larue Off set mount. I find the micro aimpoint is handy when you have a stage that would require you to rapidly change magnification between targets without having the opportunity to move. Here is a stage where it came in handy.

I used the red dot on the first 4 close targets. Switched to 3x for the long targets through the barrel (head shot with hostage in front of hit at 50 yards or so) then back to the red dot for the targets on the move. It was faster than using the cat tail on the Swarovski because of the limited motion I had to change the power.

Pat

If starting from port arms to first shot, its a crap shoot for me, I have a tendency to draw the butt-stock correctly in the shoulder pocket and using the main optic faster then I do trying to get the butt-stock canted and searching for the dot. But at Low ready, I'm much faster with the RDS, due to already having the "ideal" butt-stock placement on my shoulder to look out of the RDS as I draw the rifle on target. I also believe that a tube RDS like the micro is better suited (although heavier) for closer targets. I find in practice that when targets are within 15 or so yards and are wide open shots, I don't "look" for the reddot simply center the target within the tube and pull the trigger. I also find with the RAMP mount you can actually twist the rifle far enough were your non shooting eye can over look the main scope allowing you a great FOV. But these are just my findings.

Edited by DocMedic