Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitrocarbonization vs Black-T

Haraise

Getting a custom build done, anyone have experience in both?

I don't like how nitrocarbonization looks dry, and it feels a little rough, and I really like how Black-T is self lubricating, but it wears way more.

The usage is a can't fail carry gun, and I think that puts black t out front, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks.

Black T, at the end of the day, is paint.

Its quality will depend on the skill of the person who applies it.

Nitrocarburizing is a heat-treating process--a chemical process--and if done properly, far more durable.

Paint has excellent anti-rust properties but doesn't wear very well. The best applied-finishes are applied over parkerizing for that reason.

Edited by twodownzero

That's a bit of a silly thing to say. Black-T isn't paint.

You can use fancy phrases like "applied finish" and/or compare its ingredients to what we usually call "paint."

At the end of the day, it's an oven-cured, fancy, paint. That doesn't mean they're inferior, and in fact, paint is what keeps nearly all the steel we use elsewhere in our lives from rusting. Paint works well.

Chemical processes are not paint and don't share the properties of a finish that is applied like paint.

Edited by twodownzero

Did you actually do any research on what the black t process is before going on about how it's paint, or do you consider understanding what you're talking about below you?

"It is a multi-step process that employs a series of chemically bonding production steps..."

Not paint. That's the first sentence of the first page of black-t.com. Jeez.

Black-T is a finish that protects and lubricates after the black has been completely worn away. Chemical bonding.

Edited by Haraise

DLC and Ionbond are the same product; VERY very good stuff, but not a self-lubing

finish like NP-3 or our favorite singing bird stuff.. 'Perfect example of the DLC is the

all black finish on the Kahr, K-40 I have posted on the classifieds.. The stuff is tough

as nails, and I have never heard of this finish flaking or anything of the sort..

The plain truth is all finishes will show wear if they weapon is used. What it boils down to is how do you want your gun to look and what finish will accomplish this with the minimal amount of wear that will show over time.

Rich

Matt Cheely said he recommended Nitrocarb instead of DLC because of flaking worries.

The only way for it to flake is if is was not cleaned properly prior to coating, it is applied to a poor quality metal or there was a massive coating failure. Nitro is inexpensive and that appeals to a lot of people.

Matt Cheely said he recommended Nitrocarb instead of DLC because of flaking worries.

The only way for it to flake is if is was not cleaned properly prior to coating, it is applied to a poor quality metal or there was a massive coating failure. Nitro is inexpensive and that appeals to a lot of people.

Possibly why many of the times I've seen DLC flake is in the breechface area.

IonBond's DLC is only 4 microns, so actual "flakes" are very rare. I say rare in that we've prepped parts for coating about every day for the last 4 years and only seen it happen a few times.

There are other DLC coatings that are done differently and at higher temperatures, and they have different coating properties also.

I have a revolver coated in Black-T, which I've been very happy with - it shows wear, but no signs of corrosion - it neither looks nor feels like the painted guns I have.

TMK, I have no experience with ion bond, but the PVD that S&W puts on its revolver cylinders didn't do well.