Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag release button..

G17fan

I am looking for a button that I can use that will help me to "not" re-position the gun in my hand just to drop the mag.

Any suggestions? I see a lot of different types but not sure if a particular one is best based on which one might be best....

thanks.

Try one with a paddle, like the Wilson extended one. It helps to grind a groove into your left grip for clearance for your thumb, or buy a set of the 10-8 grips with the groove there already (Brownells just started lising them). If you use the extended paddle release, though, you'll have accidental mag drops when doing table starts unless you also use a large magwell like the Dawson Ice or Techwell.

Try one with a paddle, like the Wilson extended one. It helps to grind a groove into your left grip for clearance for your thumb, or buy a set of the 10-8 grips with the groove there already (Brownells just started lising them). If you use the extended paddle release, though, you'll have accidental mag drops when doing table starts unless you also use a large magwell like the Dawson Ice or Techwell.

also watch out for weak hand shooting possible mag drops there.

ive tried ALOT: wilson(both sizes), brown, extended heigh mag releases, dawson, sti, SVI

with different weight mag release springs with different grips even going so far as to shave a channel into a pair of g10 grips with a dremmel

favorite go to combination so far is VZ grips with the stock thumb relief cutout and the arrondendo button:

Arredondo%20Mag%20Rls%20Button.jpg

http://cpwsa.com/arredondo.htm

i can reliably drop the mag every single time without worry about accidentally dropping it on a table start or because my weak hand hit the button - without shifting my grip.

The wilson button also tends to dig into my weak hand palm and if you do practice sessions with 400+ rounds, expect a callous to grow there or to lose some skin.

Edited by digby7

I did a custom button for my single stack. Not extended back, just sticks out a little more. Does not take much, but then I firmly believe in the flip.

300wll5.jpg

Um yea, just so there is no confusion, the picture is not me.

Edited by wide45

If you have a little bit of the DIY bone in you - Once the mag release is drilled and tapped it isn't hard to make your own. All it takes is a little imagination, some basic hand tools like files and a hack saw, a drill press helps (but isn't mandatory), and maybe a little trial and error.

Here is an example of one made from a piece of stainless rod. I made it for my "tactical gun" (what they used to call anything that wasn't a wheel gun or compensated) over 25 years ago. Aluminum rod also works great, is easier to work with, and I actually like them a little better than the SS.

post-9934-0-22839800-1329794385_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-57550700-1329794403_thumb.jp

post-9934-0-76253800-1329794420_thumb.jp

If you have a little bit of the DIY bone in you - Once the mag release is drilled and tapped it isn't hard to make your own. All it takes is a little imagination, some basic hand tools like files and a hack saw, a drill press helps (but isn't mandatory), and maybe a little trial and error.

Here is an example of one made from a piece of stainless rod. I made it for my "tactical gun" (what they used to call anything that wasn't a wheel gun or compensated) over 25 years ago. Aluminum rod also works great, is easier to work with, and I actually like them a little better than the SS.

That looks a lot like the old Cylinder & Slide unit I have somewhere. I always liked that one on my wide body gun.

I'm running the Wilson paddle on my SSD gun now and like Digby said, I was getting a hot spot during long practice sessions. However, minor re-positioning took care of that problem for me.

LumpyG - If C&S was making them in the 80's then maybe it is a copy of a copy of theirs. I first saw them coming out of a now defunct shop in San Leandro, CA (CGW) and copied those using rod or bar stock (rectangle). Probably the most unique button I recall seeing was made from a small hex bolt head that was thinned, counterbored, and drilled. Not a bad idea, looked kind of cool, and it certainly didn't follow the pack!

LumpyG - If C&S was making them in the 80's then maybe it is a copy of a copy of theirs. I first saw them coming out of a now defunct shop in San Leandro, CA (CGW) and copied those using rod or bar stock (rectangle). Probably the most unique button I recall seeing was made from a small hex bolt head that was thinned, counterbored, and drilled. Not a bad idea, looked kind of cool, and it certainly didn't follow the pack!

Is this nostalgia hour or something? I used to shoot with Dan Ruff (owner/proprietor of CGW) back in the day. Unfortunately, the SF Bay Area is not the best area one could choose to be in the firearms industry and Dan closed up shop not long after I quit in the late 90's.

C&S has been around forever but I think they stopped making that button. I got mine sometime in the 90's and it has floated around on several guns. Now I really have to look for that button just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks. I'll probably be up all night looking for it now! :roflol: