Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Zero - Bench Vs. Freestyle

OpenDot

The zero from the rest vs. my hands is different by a couple inches...why?, I have no clue :roflol: but there is a difference for me.

I zero 3 shots freestyle then adjust the dot, rinse and repeat until MY Zero is completed. I do 18 - 20 yards, depending on where i'm located and what's available as far as the range conditions and how many people are there.

Busy range, 20 yards...if i'm alone and can make it 18 I will, otherwise...20yds.

You would think it would be the same freestyle vs bench...maybe it has to do with my grip.

I'm interested to hear more on this and what other shooters do.

If you rest the gun on something, it can affect POI.

Also, very important to know where POI is for 3-6 yds,

12 -18 yds, and 30 yds (in case you get long shot).

I use a rest to determine accuracy of ammo/gun combo,

but sight in gun freestyle (two hand hold), just like

when I shoot USPSA.

Jack

I shoot IPSC 9mm MAJOR in Spain. I zero benchrested on a pistol rest or even a rangebag at 15 metres. This way you get a quick result using less rounds by eliminating human error i.e trembling.

Then I check it shooting with my normal two handed freestyle grip as per a normal course of fire and "fine tune" if neccessary.

I do tend to go slightly low and left unsupported.

9mm major shoots pretty flat so between 5 to 30 metres I pretty much have it covered. Different people use different methods, you need to find what works for you.

Edited by malagamarksman

Freestyle. How many times do you shoot from a bench in competition?

At the same time, is it possible that you could be adjusting your sights to compensate for a flinch, pull, push, etc?

I purchased a used pistol with the rear sight blade noticeably to the right. My first thought was that something is wrong with the fitting or parts. I took it out to sight in and it was about 7" to the right at 20 yards. I adjusted the sight to the middle and it was dead on. I called the previous owner and he said that he has all of his sights like that to address a pull.

I may be off base but I would rather try to fix what I'm doing incorrectly rather than adjust the sights to compensate for it. I guess if you've practiced enough to make it consistent and can rely on it, then its not an issue.

Freestyle. How many times do you shoot from a bench in competition?

At the same time, is it possible that you could be adjusting your sights to compensate for a flinch, pull, push, etc?

I purchased a used pistol with the rear sight blade noticeably to the right. My first thought was that something is wrong with the fitting or parts. I took it out to sight in and it was about 7" to the right at 20 yards. I adjusted the sight to the middle and it was dead on. I called the previous owner and he said that he has all of his sights like that to address a pull.

I may be off base but I would rather try to fix what I'm doing incorrectly rather than adjust the sights to compensate for it. I guess if you've practiced enough to make it consistent and can rely on it, then its not an issue.

this is what I see.

shooters trying to adjust there sights to human error. I aways adjust off a bench, and if im off in freestyle its a shooter problem and not the sights,

Good points guys but it would depend on lots of factors. I have seen POI thrown off by resting it improperly but I mainly do it due to skill level. If I can't break off some clean shots and group them at my skill level, I am going to sell my guns and take up chess :) Not that I am that good but I do have the fundamentals down.

http://re-gun.com/2011/05/c-more-care-and-feeding-zeroing-and-adjustment/ and http://re-gun.com/2011/05/c-more-care-and-feeding-zeroing-and-adjustment/

If you follow the procedures I lay out, you shouldn't have a difference between your benched zero and your freestyle zero. Eliminating the shooter (via a bench) means you're only sighting in the equipment. It's also a good tool for allowing you to work solely on trigger pull without having to worry about fatigue or tension...

And... weren't we just talking about all this?

http://re-gun.com/2011/05/c-more-care-and-feeding-zeroing-and-adjustment/ and http://re-gun.com/2011/05/c-more-care-and-feeding-zeroing-and-adjustment/

If you follow the procedures I lay out, you shouldn't have a difference between your benched zero and your freestyle zero. Eliminating the shooter (via a bench) means you're only sighting in the equipment. It's also a good tool for allowing you to work solely on trigger pull without having to worry about fatigue or tension...

And... weren't we just talking about all this?

I guess I missed that... :angry2:

Thanks for teh info though!!!!

I typically bench rest the gun and zero it in, and leave it there. After that shooting free style, if there is a hit anywhere outside of that, I know its not the gun, its me.

+1 Stands to reason if the gun is zeroed in a bench rested position, the only thing that can change in a free style position would be you.