Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 Accuracy

orionz06

The gun shoots 5"-6" groups with any ammo at 25 yards. The same ammo all prints 2"-3" groups with my G17 and me shooting. Who can I throw money at to make it better? S&W keeps telling me the gun is "in spec" which very well may be the case but "in spec" is laughable.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on the phone with them. Most recently because the last time I got the gun back (last night) it was missing the locking block pin. It was apparently missing the pin and still acceptable accuracy wise. Not sure how much it shifts under fire but I can pull it a small amount without the pin in place.

I have been on the phone with them. Most recently because the last time I got the gun back (last night) it was missing the locking block pin. It was apparently missing the pin and still acceptable accuracy wise. Not sure how much it shifts under fire but I can pull it a small amount without the pin in place.

Totally Missing? As in it came back from repairs at the factory and was missing the locking block roll pin? I'd be calling and asking to speak with a tech on that.

I will have to take a very, very close look at mine when it comes back.

Totally Missing? As in it came back from repairs at the factory and was missing the locking block roll pin? I'd be calling and asking to speak with a tech on that.

I will have to take a very, very close look at mine when it comes back.

Mine came back today and looks perfect. I can't wait to get it out to the range and test it out. Thy even sent it back with a new mag in it...I didn't send any in since it had no feed issues. I reinstalled all my apex parts and I'm ready to shoot again.

All I can say is be persistent and honest about your expectations. Maybe mention that you shoot it in competition.

A friend and fellow shooter had the same really bad accuracy problem with his new M&P Pro 9. We put my (9L) barrel in his gun and his gun shot great groups! He sent it back to Smith and they are sending him a new barrel. Hope this one is better.

I just got a M&P 9mm and have no issues grouping off a rest at 56feet nice 2.5inches groups and makes PF with no issues. Even shooting freestyle my groups stayed within about 3.5 to 4.0 inches not great yet shooting off hand but have had no issues shooting 124gr MG or Sierra Bullets with 6.6grns of HS-6. 4.7 grins of N320 and 115gr CMJ works great groups and also makes PF but is .3grns over recommended max load on VV website.

orionz06: I bought an M&P Pro last year and accuracy was not good. Take a magnifying glass and check the cut of the lands and grooves at your barrel crown. Mine was rough and inconsistent which would allow gases to escape incorrectly when the bullet left the barrel. Sent it back to the factory and it came back with a new barrel, and perfect crown. It is now very accurate.

Call S&W back and keep going over heads until you get the answer you want. I agree with you. This is NOT acceptable accuracy!

Being in customer service for over 10 years this technique does not really work. Here is a good read on customer service call.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-idiotic-misconceptions-about-calling-customer-service_p2/

OP I hope to hear some good back from this experience. I myself am looking at getting a S&W and hope to hear that you are at least satisfied with the end result.

• 2 weeks later...

The gun shoots 5"-6" groups with any ammo at 25 yards. The same ammo all prints 2"-3" groups with my G17 and me shooting. Who can I throw money at to make it better? S&W keeps telling me the gun is "in spec" which very well may be the case but "in spec" is laughable.

I think I ran into you on another forum,I mentioned it there I will mention this to the rest of the people so they dont get burned.

I have a problem with my M&P not shooting worth shit at 25 yards and striker leaving gouges drag marks on the primer.

Sent it to smith, they test fired at 15 yards told me that it was within spec.

So basically I have a 600$ paperweight.

Is there anyone out there that has sent there M&P back to S&W for accuracy issues and been satisfied with it upon return?

I have been told I would receive a new firearm.

In the interim I have located an LE gun that shoots quite well, I will meet with the agency and use their good ammo, my laser, and a rest to put a few through their paces and see what we come up with.

I am confident S&W will correct the issue long term, just up in the air short term.

Is there anyone out there that has sent there M&P back to S&W for accuracy issues and been satisfied with it upon return?

Read my post above. I am more than happy with the outcome.

I recommend that you state your expectations cleat with the rep. Be honest if you have non factory parts (apex) and if you can remove them before shipping. I had modified my trigger bar an requested that it be returned to me if replaced.

I received the gun back, with a new mag, my trigger bar in place, the slide and barrel replaced, and sighted in with a site that brought POI to POA.

Very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar results from my 9L when I had it. S&W had me return it and received it back saying it was within specs. Very disappointing to say the least. Kept at them and did talk to a rep that said this should not be happening and that they would make it right. Sent me out another barrel with same results. Reported it to them and they sent me another prepaid label. Before I could sent it in received another barrel but this one looked different. Previous two looked like there is a ring between the barrel and the block while the last barrel is just the block which now is bigger. Fits tighter in my slide and shoots better. Went from 6-8" groups at 30yds. to 3-4" groups at 30. Bought a Dawson fiber optic front sight to correct for it shooting low. Not great but now is acceptable. Have been waiting for the Bar-Sto barrels from Apex. Randy at Apex I believe said that S&W has not made there locking surfaces tight enough and the Bar-Sto will have 2 barrels. One, semi-drop in and one a full pistol smith fit. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. Would try another after maket barrel but if they take factory specs don't know if I would get much better results. Really like the pistol. With apex trigger parts, great trigger. To good as a matter of fact. Comes in at 2lbs. 10oz. Will have to put in the factory return spring to make it production legal in 2013 looks like.

A World Champ was kind enough to shoot mine a few weeks ago for accuracy.

Over 20 yards, free style, at a 1.5x1.5 inch black 'X' on a metric IPSC facing at a 30 degree angle.

A clover leaf of 4 rounds, and a single shot about 1.5" higher. I'd say my gun (with my load) is accurate.

After Dan did my trigger work, he function checked the pistol @ ~60 yards on an 8" rock. 17 hits "as fast as he could get them off of the sights".

At the very least, it illustrates that not all of them are inaccurate.

• 2 weeks later...

My M&P has been back to the factory twice, the refuse to fix the accuracy problem, correction the refuse to acknowlege it.

Their spec is less than 2" groups of 3 shots at 10 yards. If it meets that there is no problem, in their eyes.

My M&P has been back to the factory twice, the refuse to fix the accuracy problem, correction the refuse to acknowlege it.

Their spec is less than 2" groups of 3 shots at 10 yards. If it meets that there is no problem, in their eyes.

Yep, yet at 25 yards I have rouds hitting the target holder not even the target or the paper it is printed on, offhand, rested,sandbagged, had another guy shoot it too with the same results.

VERY frustrated as I am basically out of 600$ thanks S&W

How does it shoot at 10 yards for you? Best thing to do is call them and talk to someone. Post on their Facebook as well, let the world know as many ways as possible. They won't fix it if only a few people here and there are pissed.