Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejection Problem

rvb

For shits and grins give us some measurements of the ejector position and a video impression of how tight the extractor is. If the extractor is under sprung it can cause ejection issues. The original photo looks pretty nasty with carbon build up, I would suggest tearing it apart if you know what your doing and physically checking each component for hangups. If the plunger channel for the extractor has a shit load of carbon buildup that will hamper ejection in glocks also. Couldn't see much from the video. What area are you in? Maybe we could meet up and I could help you out. Even high speed analysis of the issue if your available.

On a side note, I have yet to have a glock with a solid/ predictable ejection pattern like my 1911's. Brass goes 1 O'Clock to 5 O Clock. Where most of my weapons (ar, bolt rifles etc all go in a 5 gal bucket)

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by usmc0326

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For shits and grins give us some measurements of the ejector position and a video impression of how tight the extractor is. If the extractor is under sprung it can cause ejection issues. The original photo looks pretty nasty with carbon build up, I would suggest tearing it apart if you know what your doing and physically checking each component for hangups. If the plunger channel for the extractor has a shit load of carbon buildup that will hamper ejection in glocks also. Couldn't see much from the video. What area are you in? Maybe we could meet up and I could help you out. Even high speed analysis of the issue if your available.

On a side note, I have yet to have a glock with a solid/ predictable ejection pattern like my 1911's. Brass goes 1 O'Clock to 5 O Clock. Where most of my weapons (ar, bolt rifles etc all go in a 5 gal bucket)

Cheers,

Patrick

Not too nasty w/ carbon build up. To this day the gun has <1k rounds through it. It appears glock is doing a sonic clean when they are doing their "repairs." Extractor is plenty tight. ejector measured in line w/ a known good gun. measurements back in post #7 (though I goofed and typod in extrator instead of ejector). But it doesn't matter. it's the slide that jacked. See post 13.

-rvb

Last week I was able to test fire the G34. Recall that I recently got it back from glock after sending it in for the second time.

The gun in 100% stock. It's exactly how it was returned to me from the factory, except I added a couple drops of lube. I even used the replacement mag that glock sent back.

I fired exactly ONE round. It failed to eject, preventing me from firing a second. I cleared it and bagged it. I didn't see any point in continuing to shoot it.

I can't tell you how PO'd I am. I won't be satisfied now unless I get a new gun.

I put approximately 200 rounds through my G19 at the same outing without a single problem.

-rvb

That sucks. I have newer Gen 3 24 (with a number of aftermarket parts) that I have been having intermittent extraction issues with, though nothing nearly as bad as yours. I also have a 5 year old G19 that I've never had a single problem with. Makes you wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

While you were swapping parts during troubleshooting, did you try a different extractor in your slide?

yes. no help.

The gun is back at glock for the 3rd time. I've demanded a new gun. We'll see.

-rvb

My Gen4 22 is brand new (test fire date end of April) and it seems like the ejection is really all over the place. I ran a couple hundred minor loads through it (3.5 grains of titegroup behind a 180 grain fmj @ 1.125) and it ran 100% but ejected pretty weak and sometimes straight up in the air, landing on my forearm. I think one even went left. I'll have to see how it runs with a hotter load for comparison and then it will be time to figure this out. Doh.

Update: Ran some hotter loads (4.4 grains of titegroup, same bullet) through it and it ejects 3-4 ft at 4'oclock with them consistently. With the previously mentioned loads it still ejects 100% but some still go almost straight up and sometimes bounce off my forearm. I might try to find a happy medium just to prevent that somewhat weak ejection.

I am not sure if you have a more deeply rooted problem than a simple extractor issue, but I have found that the new "rougher" finish Glock is using now has a bad side effect. The new grayer finish is now thicker than the shinier, black one they have used in years past. With this, I have found that the extractors may be too tight from the factory (vertically) in the slide. In my Gen 3 Glock 34, I simply polished the finish off the top and bottom of the extractor to a mirror finish, and now there is no longer any unnecessary drag between the slide and extractor. My ejection went from spotty to textbook with this simple fix. From the sound of it, this may be a different issue altogether, but a polish is definitely worth a shot. I say if the third time back still has issues, you should be demanding a new pistol from Glock.

While you were swapping parts during troubleshooting, did you try a different extractor in your slide?

yes. no help.

The gun is back at glock for the 3rd time. I've demanded a new gun. We'll see.

-rvb

I got a new G34 from Glock. So far I've put 4-500 rounds through it and it seems to be running well. I'm cautiously optimistic since the last gun seemed to run ok for the first few hundred rounds as well. I did have two ejection failures with the new gun, but they were with some VERY light 115s (that I once loaded to 'feel like' my 147s). So I'm not totally blaming the gun for those.

I shot a local match w/ the new gun this past Sunday and it ran 100% (as it came out of the box except for a 13 lb recoil spring and a non-extended factory slide stop). I'm confident enough that I already ordered some new sights.

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new "used" gen 3, 34 that had this same problem. It had very few rounds through it when I got it, it looked new to me. I've got the updated 30274 ejector on order. This morning I was fed up with it, and swapped a Lone Wolf 9mm LCI extractor (spare I received in error on an old order)into it just to see. It cleared the problem up for the rest of my practice, about 250rnds. It ejected up to the right and over my shoulder, but away from me. I wish I'd put that part in sooner!! I'm running a factory recoil spring on a SS guide rod, and was shooting W.W.B. from Wal-Mart. (My Montana Gold order should arrive today, until then I'm out of my preferred loads.)

I don't know if this would fix anyone problem with their pistol, but it seems to have corrected mine. I though I'd throw this out for info to you guys......

Scott.

• 1 month later...

Just an update... The replacement 34 has started giving me trouble as well, enough so that I am shooting my G19 in the IN section match. The issue is the sAme.

I put in a gen 4 ejector. Time will tell if that makes a difference. Anxiously awaiting apex's new extractor

-rvb

You may also find it necessary to beef your loads up some to help.

Chrono'd ammo this week. 137-138 PF in the G34. I don't think that's an issue :) Was about 132 in the G19.

-rvb

What I was seeing from the gun as it ran appears to be a loss of control of the brass. When you see a gun start tossing them everywhere and not ejecting some at all you need to look hard and the extractor. To my mind it is not controlling the case coming out of battery and into the ejector. What happens is the case just hits the ejector and goofy angles or just gets thrown at it if it's not being controlled properly.

Not just Glock, but if the ejector isn't long enough and the case contacts the breech at the same time or just after the ejector this can cause the issue too.

My bet is the extractor not controlling the case.

My 2 take it or not...

JT

Edited by JThompson

I have a Lone Wolf extractor coming for my G35 today and am hoping that it fixes my extraction issues. The HRED has helped but still not 100% with factory ammo and factory reloads (Georgia Arms and Atlanta Arms) and want to get it sorted out before I start working up reloads. The tip with polishing the extractor is a new one for me and one I will look into as well but the LW extractor should not have that same finish so may not be an issue.

Just an update... The replacement 34 has started giving me trouble as well, enough so that I am shooting my G19 in the IN section match. The issue is the sAme.

I put in a gen 4 ejector. Time will tell if that makes a difference. Anxiously awaiting apex's new extractor

-rvb

So how many guns of yours have had this issue, 2 G-34's? 3rd Gens?

I am not sure if you have a more deeply rooted problem than a simple extractor issue, but I have found that the new "rougher" finish Glock is using now has a bad side effect. The new grayer finish is now thicker than the shinier, black one they have used in years past. With this, I have found that the extractors may be too tight from the factory (vertically) in the slide. In my Gen 3 Glock 34, I simply polished the finish off the top and bottom of the extractor to a mirror finish, and now there is no longer any unnecessary drag between the slide and extractor. My ejection went from spotty to textbook with this simple fix. From the sound of it, this may be a different issue altogether, but a polish is definitely worth a shot. I say if the third time back still has issues, you should be demanding a new pistol from Glock.

This worked for me also. Although my G34 never had a failure, it did have erratic ejections. After polishing the extractor the brass went from falling at my feet to near perfect placement about 2-3ft away. Thanks for the advise.

Take a look at this and especially posts #1 and #14:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155544

The reason your ejection is erratic and undependable is the extractor is failing to maintain hold on the fired cases and therefore presents them to the ejector in various attitudes, resulting in different ejection patterns. The new Apex extractor addresses those issues very well.

Anxiously awaiting apex's new extractor

-rvb

What I was seeing from the gun as it ran appears to be a loss of control of the brass. When you see a gun start tossing them everywhere and not ejecting some at all you need to look hard and the extractor. To my mind it is not controlling the case coming out of battery and into the ejector. What happens is the case just hits the ejector and goofy angles or just gets thrown at it if it's not being controlled properly.

Not just Glock, but if the ejector isn't long enough and the case contacts the breech at the same time or just after the ejector this can cause the issue too.

My bet is the extractor not controlling the case.

My 2 take it or not...

JT

Take a look at this and especially posts #1 and #14:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155544

The reason your ejection is erratic and undependable is the extractor is failing to maintain hold on the fired cases and therefore presents them to the ejector in various attitudes, resulting in different ejection patterns. The new Apex extractor addresses those issues very well.

I agree, guys. :cheers: That's why I'm looking forward to the apex extractor.

I may give the .40 extractor a try. Not sure if it was here or elsewhere that I read that sometimes helps things. I don't think it's a polishing issue.... it seems to start out ok then run worse and worse. By then I can see smoothed-down areas from wear. Which points more to a spring issue, or part of the extractor wearing down.

-rvb

I have tried two new extractors and all new parts on the gun. Tried the HERD extra power extractor setup as well. No difference. Well before the gun wouldn't run for more then 100 rds. Now it's reliable again. But I have to wear a hat to keep them off my face.

If doing the LW extractor think about ordering the LW bearing, plunger, and spring as well. I ordered all of this and noticed the LW spring was longer and after installing the extractor tension was much higher. My Glock is now ejecting fantastic. Had some new shooters shooting it the other day with poor technique (tea cupping it) strong hand way low on the grip, they where getting a lot of muzzle flip and it still was ejecting very well and consistent with mixed brass reloads. This gun use to put 5 out of 10 on the forearm, shoulder, and my head.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new Gen 3 17, had failures to eject/extract with Win Whitebox, Rem UMC's and my reloads(total of about 350 rds). I finally took a look at the extractor. And as you can see there was some drag there. I had what I think was a 40 cal. extractor in my bag, put it in and ran about 30 rounds with no issues. That's was all the ammo I had or would have tested more. I'll be calling Glock Inc in the morning. Not happy about junk they are now putting in their guns.

post-7411-0-31553400-1344814086_thumb.jp

post-7411-0-19070700-1344814120_thumb.jp

Update on my 35. I put in the LWD extractor (I already had the HRED spring and plunger) and I have not had an issue with extraction and ejection since with either the stock Glock barrel and recoil spring or my KKM barrel, SS guiderod and 13lb ISMI spring. I have also not been hit in the face with brass as often, even while moving, over the course of 2 range sessions and 2 matches.

I replaced every wearable part on the frame and slide with new Glock Parts. Then tried the HRED and stock Glock spring for the extractor. Both ran fine but the HRED needed 300rds to smooth out. Before that it was worse. I also have a 14 lb wolf setup for the recoil spring. I was running a 15lb before but the 14lb is better and the 12 lb made it worse. I don't get brass in my face anymore. Seems to eject about 2-3 ft.

My old parts were clearly worn a little.