Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Gun in Limited-10?

Chuckie45

I primarily shoot IDPA in the CDP division, but am looking to start shooting USPSA. I just want to clearify a division rule before I gear up for it. From reading the limited-10 appendix I understand that you can run extended mags in a SS pistol as long as they are no more that 6.74". So if I understand correctly I can ether shoot my 1911 in SS or use 10 round mags to go Limited-10.

I can ether shoot my 1911 in SS or use 10 round mags to go Limited-10.

Yes, you can certainly shoot it in Lim-10.

SS has some weight requirements and equipment position requirements you should check out to make sure you are compliant, but in most cases, yes.

I primarily shoot IDPA in the CDP division, but am looking to start shooting USPSA. I just want to clearify a division rule before I gear up for it. From reading the limited-10 appendix I understand that you can run extended mags in a SS pistol as long as they are no more that 6.74". So if I understand correctly I can ether shoot my 1911 in SS or use 10 round mags to go Limited-10.

Absolutely. In many areas, that's the most popular configuration for Lim-10.

BB

Great choice. single stack uses a similar holster and mag pouch placement requirements as IDPA. ( Holster and mag pouched Must be positioned behind the hip bone, no Drop offset holster etc) Single Stack has an 8round max (major) and 10 round max (minor) Limited 10 has significantly greater latitude on you holster, mag pouches and their placement.

Just like in production, you can get by with 4 pouches. But 5 seems to be typical. A legal Level II/III USPSA/IPSC stage won't require more than 32 rounds. In USPSA, most stages feature shooting positions/views that will be in batches of 8 shots. (Unless you have an evil stage designer like me that likes 7's.)

I run around with 4 pouches, but start with 2 mags in the back pocket. One mag gets loaded into the gun at make ready, and the other is there as a last resort in case I dump a mostly full mag into the mud/sand because of a major jam. As it is, I rarely ever have to go to the magazine in pouch #4, and I've only had to resort to the mag in the back pocket when the wheels not only came off in the plan, but there were plates on the Texas star which seemed to be able to duck rounds fired at them.

Edited by Skydiver

• 3 months later...

Hmmm...5 on the belt, one for LAMR and one for Barney ;)

+1 Personally I do the same. No one ever lost a match by having too many bullets (correctly stored on their belt and in their gun that is).

I don't disagree with anything said here at all. I would like to say though having a double stack gun while shooting lim 10 makes reloads a little quicker depending on your personal skill level. That being said, I was at L-10 Nats last year and one of my squad mates (a M class shooter with the Border Patrol) smoked me with a 1911 and 10 round mags (I was shooting a Para Hicap and only loading 10).

Just like in production, you can get by with 4 pouches. But 5 seems to be typical. A legal Level II/III USPSA/IPSC stage won't require more than 32 rounds. In USPSA, most stages feature shooting positions/views that will be in batches of 8 shots. (Unless you have an evil stage designer like me that likes 7's.)

Your revolver shooters must absolutely hate you. :D

the SS stack gun may be a tad less easier to reload than a dbl stack gun but is entirely competitive. I'd say 5 mag pouches are the minimum. It dont hurt to have extra bullets especially when there's lots of steel in a stage.

Your revolver shooters must absolutely hate you. :D

I try to leave them an out where that 7th shot can also be taken elsewhere.

I shot my first 6 months with a 1911 in L10... As some people mentioned you are at a slight disadvantage reloading but you can eliminate that by practicing!

I used a CR Speed rig with 5 mag pouches... Rarely had to use that last mag...but it's nice to have the flexibility...

Then I discovered open :cheers:

Edited by Rambo

L-10 Nationals has been won by a Single Stack. So yes, I would say the gun is competitive. I like skinny guns, and I like my slide to lock to the rear when I shoot a lower capacity division. Maybe I will just break down and get STI followers and regular springs for my mags, oh and a new slide stop too.

5 on the belt sounds about right, I don't really use the 4th all that much, and I think I used the 5th once. But as a frind of mine says, you can only have too much ammo if your on fire or drowning. MAybe I should get a 6th pouch :surprise:

• 3 weeks later...

I tried limited 10 for a few matches, but I didn't see that much difference in my scores from shooting SS major. I did notice that my handling of the extended 10 rounders during a reload was much different than handling 8 rounders. I am much smoother on reloads with the 8 rounders since I can get the palm of my hand under the mag sooner to seat it quicker. If I tried to just grab the 10 rounder with my palm already over the basepad, I had a little difficulty finding the magwell since there was more mag length sticking above my thumb and forefinger.

• 2 weeks later...

I like 6 on the belt and 1 for MR. I don't mind ending the stage with an extra mag or two on the belt.

I started with four mags on belt, then went to five, now I have six, plus a LAMR mag, and a barney mag. Total of 8 mags. Sometimes clubs will put on stages with 40-45 rounds required and a bunch of steel in there. If you are dumping half full mags in order to get your reloads at the right places, 4 on the belt can leave you in the lurch on stages like this.

My configuration is 5 on the belt and 1 in the gun. I've gone to my last mag twice in recent memory. Once was a long stage, another was a dropped mag. I plan reloads every 6 or 8 rounds so I can shoot a make up shot anytime and never slidelock or static reload.